Crossing the border

J

jacobthms96

I'm going to RP next weekend and I'm wondering what all i can bring with me across the border. Like as far as souvenirs and what not we get while we're down there. I've heard they're pretty strict sometimes on stuff like let you take.

Roberto

I am not aware of any restrictions on souvenirs, like T shirts, cereamics, etc. There are limits on alcohol, and you cannot take pork products or citrus. Probably other fresh foods as well.

The usual question is what are you bringing back from Mexico. I might say, "Souvenirs, stuff like that" That usually satisfies them, if they want to know more they will ask.

They are sensitive to People's ID, Drugs and large amounts of money, not too much else.

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Other big no-nos:

Do not bring back any whale bones or stuff like that gathered off the beach. They used to have a big pile of that stuff confiscated from gringos piled by the back door of the Customs building. Has to do with laws concerning CITES (endangered species). Even though it may be just a bone you found on the beach, the law forbids any importation of whale parts, ivory, and certain other items that were once part of a living endangered species. Granted, you didn't kill a whale just to have a bone souvenior, but they confiscate anything of this nature because it is considered trafficking in animal parts.

I know, sounds crazy, but it's true. Nobody is going say or do anything about a few shells or sand dollars gathered on the beach, just whale and dolphin bones and such.

Fireworks is another big no-no. You can buy them in Penasco and light them off and have a good time; you just aren't allowed to bring them back over the border.

At the Nogales border crossing, they used to sell beautiful live parrots on the Mexican side. However, those are also illegal to bring across, so I imagine that (uninformed) folks that bought them ended up giving them right back to the person that sold them in the 1st place. I always thought that was a pretty good business -- sell inventory that is immediately returned to you!

R

ruredifredi

I am also going to RP during the Rally, What about ironwood figures? Can those be bought across? Also how much liquor can we bring across?

Roberto

I am also going to RP during the Rally, What about ironwood figures? Can those be bought across? Also how much liquor can we bring across?
Wood carvings are OK. Best to buy you liquor (other than maybe tequila) at the WETA store on the border both coming and going. Best prices by far on Whisky, Vodka, etc. You can only technically buy at the Weta if you are taking it into Mexico, in reality no one really checks. To keep it legal people going back to the US cross the border, stop at the Gringo Pass shops right there at the border, buy booze at the WETA walk back through Mexican customs then back across carrying the booze purchased. You can take up to 4 liters of booze into Mexico without paying so you could 'round trip' that much back to the US.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yep, it's been that way forever. Maybe I misspoke myself, it's the bottle they call a fifth. I do agree about buying liquor at the Ueta store. It's way cheaper. However, in May, they changed the way you pick up your liquor. Now you pay for it and take a hood magnet with a number on it, stick it on your hood and get in line to cross. When you get to where the light flashes red or green, they bring it to you. You have to get it thru your window. I ask the why they changed that and was told that the Thursday before Memorial Day weekend, they got a visit from 3 ATF agents, who said there had been a lot of cheating. It's kind of a pain, too. It holds up the line....

JimMcG

Wood carvings are OK. Best to buy you liquor (other than maybe tequila) at the WETA store on the border both coming and going. Best prices by far on Whisky, Vodka, etc. You can only technically buy at the Weta if you are taking it into Mexico, in reality no one really checks. To keep it legal people going back to the US cross the border, stop at the Gringo Pass shops right there at the border, buy booze at the WETA walk back through Mexican customs then back across carrying the booze purchased. You can take up to 4 liters of booze into Mexico without paying so you could 'round trip' that much back to the US.
I believe it is 3 liters.

http://www.sanbornsinsurance.com/visa_to_mexico.php

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yea, that's what I was talking about, coming back into the states, 1 bottle or 1 six pack. I buy 4 bottles of rum at the Ueta store and they sell them to me. I did not know there was a limit on how much booze you could take in...... Guess I'm lucky I haven't gotten the red light.....

JimMcG

Yea, that's what I was talking about, coming back into the states, 1 bottle or 1 six pack. I buy 4 bottles of rum at the Ueta store and they sell them to me. I did not know there was a limit on how much booze you could take in...... Guess I'm lucky I haven't gotten the red light.....
I have never been asked about liquor going in to Mexico.

Roberto

Jim McG Sez; I have never been asked about liquor going in to Mexico.

For about 4 years with regular crossing, I never got the red light. Recently I've gotten it every time !! I don't cross much anymore but the last time when I got the red, I had walked across and bought 2L of Uncle Jack and had 10 L of wine (2 5L boxes). They checked the bags i was carrying and the guy told he like very cold Chardonne wine and said have a safe trip home.

The 5L boxes at Gringo Pass store are about $20 and better than most wine one can afford to buy in Penasco so I''m grateful they allow me to cross! I can hardly eat dinner without a glass of wine. Yeah Kenny, I know I'm a wino, but no Boons Farm.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Annie Green Springs? OMG! LOL!

Hey, how about Wolf and Sons? Eeewwwwww! How did we ever drink that?

Last edited: