Cruises to start 2019. Make your reservation now.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
So then you do agree that the cruise ship PORT is a disaster? Cool.
The cruise port was a debacle. Somebody got it started and there was no blah blah to finish it. Its sad that people have to be such jackasses but they are...everywhere I do business. The cruise ship is a private company and does not rely on the port project .....it is a start not an end...but they are doing something.

Last edited:

ernesto

Well Known Member
You know what? I would prefer the cruise doesn't wad up the old port, the border, the restaurants etc. But it's not all about me. The local economy can use a boost. And it's not about saving the local dogs. Save the people. As I do in other places, avoid the port when the ship is in because the prices rise. Be nice.

Kenny

Well Known Member
Really, not one picture of the boarding or what kind of tender they used and where, but we have people complaining about not being able to get a toddy at Manny's?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
You know what? I would prefer the cruise doesn't wad up the old port, the border, the restaurants etc. But it's not all about me. The local economy can use a boost. And it's not about saving the local dogs. Save the people. As I do in other places, avoid the port when the ship is in because the prices rise. Be nice.

Don't always assume the trickle down theory will work. I don't necessarily see how this will improve the local economy as much as the boosters claim. 11 days at sea. So what, 1 or 2 nights in Rocky Point? The poor person won't see a dollar from this. The upper class Mexican that can afford to buy a little house and put it on Air BnB might fair alright. The airport was supposed to boost tourism too... You know what would help the common man more than this deal? Jobs. I see call centers are popular in TJ right now because of the influx of Mexicans who grew up in the states but got deported. Speak two languages. Decent earning compared to the Mexican minimum wage. There's only so many bar tending jobs in RP. Las Palomas brought jobs until it didn't when they laid everyone off... I bet other people got rich off of LP though. Just depends on which side of the coin you grew up on. The haves and the have nots. Any opportunity is better than no opportunity but I just don't see this as the big winner for the people.

Roberto

Well Known Member
I agree completely with Joe. It seems to me unless they are re provisioning here the effects on the local economy will be modest and go to mostly the upper levels of income folk. Seems clear that there are no job opportunities on the ship itself. It may bring new visitors to Penasco who will return to vacation and it may bring potential home buyers and have an economic effect this way. But as Joe said, trickle down is just a trickle, most staying at the top. Jobs are the key. And not boom jobs. Opportunity is better than a job for those willing to take it. Poverty is crushing. Like being into the clay gumbo up to your hips and trying to walk.

I hope my style of writing in diction and form of delivery is not slightly less than pretentious and somehow offensive for a message board . Now clearly Joe is rushing to the lead in being offensive. !!!!

Last edited:

Roberto

Well Known Member
I will make a prediction that if this cruise venture is successful that there will soon be powerful competition and regulations that favor this competition will be passed and the Astoria will go down in the history of Penasco.

audsley

Well Known Member
I was hoping someone with a video camera and an observant eye would be on hand for the assembly at the ferries and tendering to the ship. I'd guess it took several hours to board all the passengers and their luggage. How did the crowd seem to handle it? The logistics seemed really challenging to me, but then I've never been on a cruise.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I was hoping someone with a video camera and an observant eye would be on hand for the assembly at the ferries and tendering to the ship. I'd guess it took several hours to board all the passengers and their luggage. How did the crowd seem to handle it? The logistics seemed really challenging to me, but then I've never been on a cruise.
490 people plus luggage. When we went on board the other day it was 15 mins to board the tender 15 mins to Astoria 15 mins to get off the tender and then 15 back to Marina...it was easy. 100 people at a time. Maru the boat owner deployed 2 tenders so it was extremely efficient. For those on Astoria first..wine and snacks were waiting for them. It was all handled very well and the reports coming from passengers that I know they are all having a blast.

richwi

Well Known Member
PP finally has it's cruise ship in spite of the breakwater scam. Ha, they could have done the same thing years ago.
Yes, it could have been done years ago, but Rocky Point isn't the one that makes that decisions, it's the cruise lines. I feel certain that if some cruise lines had wanted to do it previously it would have happened, but none of them did. You can be sure the reason that no one has done it before this is that the various cruise lines felt there was more money to be made elsewherre

Kenny

Well Known Member
Yes, it could have been done years ago, but Rocky Point isn't the one that makes that decisions, it's the cruise lines. I feel certain that if some cruise lines had wanted to do it previously it would have happened, but none of them did. You can be sure the reason that no one has done it before this is that the various cruise lines felt there was more money to be made elsewherre
The only sure thing is they didn't start looking for that option till they drained the money for the breakwater. I said "they", not the city.

audsley

Well Known Member
Anyone know if there's another cruise scheduled for after this one? Somewhere I got the idea this is the only cruise scheduled for this winter.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
Anyone know if there's another cruise scheduled for after this one? Somewhere I got the idea this is the only cruise scheduled for this winter.
There were originally a number of cruises scheduled for fall / winter, but lack of response brought it down to this one. There really hadn’t been much of an advertising campaign, which could be the problem rather than lack of interest. In any case, at this point any repeat performance seems to be up to the cruise line.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
There were originally a number of cruises scheduled for fall / winter, but lack of response brought it down to this one. There really hadn’t been much of an advertising campaign, which could be the problem rather than lack of interest. In any case, at this point any repeat performance seems to be up to the cruise line.
There are actually 2 more cruises already booked after this one returns home. The cruise line did most of their advertising through their channels that unless you are a cruiser on their list you probably didn't see. Having said that they did advertise in Phoenix as well as Tucson on TV and in paper. I would say that for a first ever cruise in the sea of Cortes and the amount of money the cruiseline invested to do it here that it went over well. I hope they decide to make it part of their inventory but like you said it is ultimately up to the line.

Southbeacher

Well Known Member
There are actually 2 more cruises already booked after this one returns home. The cruise line did most of their advertising through their channels that unless you are a cruiser on their list you probably didn't see. Having said that they did advertise in Phoenix as well as Tucson on TV and in paper. I would say that for a first ever cruise in the sea of Cortes and the amount of money the cruiseline invested to do it here that it went over well. I hope they decide to make it part of their inventory but like you said it is ultimately up to the line.
Yeah -- like I said, there are actually 2 more cruises already booked. (Okay, so I had no idea what I was talking about . . . ) 1579124700376.png Anyway, good to know there were more takers . . .

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The Rocky Point group said they had a great time on the Astoria on its first Treasures of the Sea of Cortes cruise. The second cruise left tonight for another 11 day tour. The individual ports of call really treated these new visitors super well.

FB_IMG_1579574931293.jpg

FB_IMG_1579574926211.jpg