Definitive regulations for driving with a dog into PP

DeniseAck

I've looked into previous posts and links and I'm having a hard time finding consistent information.

I'm confused on the acceptable days before arrival date of the veterinarian health certificate

• USDA Mexico Dog and Cat Protocol: "The HC issued and signed by an accredited veterinarian on their letterhead certificate that includes the accreditation number of the signing veterinarian. The certificate must be issued within 10 days of export."
  • Post from 2011: All pets require a veterinary health certificate, issued not more than 5 days before arrival. (The link referred to in the post moved to the senasica one in the next paragraph, but doesn't say that info any more)
Some info says the Rabies vaccine must be within 1 year, and others just require the certificate and expiration date (meaning the 3-year shot is valid)
  • Mexican Customs "Certificate of Good Health" must also states immunizations against rabies, distemper, hepatitis and leptospirosis. Any immunization must been administered at least 15 days before pet's arrival to Mexico, but not more than one year.
  • SENASICA pdf: That the animal has been vaccinated against rabies, indicating the date of application and expiration date of the vaccine.
Last question--does the dog actually need to be in a crate, or is that referring to air travel only?
  • SENASICA pdf: 2) Your pet should arrive to Mexico in a container, Kennel, carrier of any sort, that is clean, without bedding, cloth material or accessories, for these will be retained by the OISA official for destruction. The container will then receive a preventive spray treatment by the SAGARPA-SENASICA official
Thanks!!!

JoseAz

We bring our dog down about every 6 weeks, loose in the Tahoe. They used to run around to make a copy of the rabies certificate then try to take a picture of the dog.
We now have a copy of our current rabies vaccination with a picture of the dog included. We give the whole thing to them and they have been satisfied

My experiences are for land travel. Only 2 animal's per car.

Every time I have been asked, (2 out of 10 times crossing border in a auto) They only wanted to see my dog's/cat's, immunization records.
They asked for my drivers license and vet papers, made copies of both and took a picture of my dog. (but not the cats?)

They didn't say if animal is required to be in a kennel. If my dog was lying down and I got the green light no problem,
if he sat up (he was a big dog) even with the green light they would pull me over and do what I just described above.
It is actually an easy process, most inspectors are going through the motions and not trying to make anyone mad.
I have found if you treat the agents with respect and behave well it goes pretty smooth.

Hope that helps.

Some info says the Rabies vaccine must be within 1 year, and others just require the certificate and expiration date (meaning the 3-year shot is valid).
. . . . does the dog actually need to be in a crate, or is that referring to air travel only?
quote]
Unless something has recently changed -- which would be wonderful -- the 1-year interval is required. We were warned when stopped by officials at the border a couple years ago, that the most recent shot was about to expire. When we pointed out that the vaccine was documented to expire in 3 years, we were told that Mexico only accepts 1-year intervals.
And again -- unless something has recently changed within a year -- dogs in the back seat (uncrated) have always worked for us.

Terry C

The new twist we got a couple of times ago is we need to have the cert with a copy of our DL on the paper. then, another picture of the dog. # 3,, I think.

I loved JoseAz's idea, which I will add as Item 2C to my usual MO:
1. Give both dogs the usual "down . . . stay" command while driving across the border
A. Drive by with a smile and a wave
B. High five each other about 1/4 mile out, for having saved at least 15 minutes (2 dogs
involved) of inquiries, document checks, photos and photocopying.​
2. If red light displays:
A. Sigh
B. Throw 1A and 1B out the window
C. Comply with requests, and save lots of time by additionally offering COPIES of driver's
license, dog photos and inoculation documents.​

Last edited:

SeaSwell

Headin' to the Bezch
We went through in October with our dogs. They took new pictures of the dogs and took their vaccination papers in and my driver's license in and made copies. They told me to make copies of the vaccination papers with my drivers and license and give it to them when they stopped is heading in. I did and carry them with me. Thanksgiving, they didn't even stop us.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
We always take big doggie and have never been asked for paperwork. That being said, all vaccinations re up-to-date and we always have the paperwork with us just in case. We also bring her food in an old chlorine container. We don't try to hide anything, we just don't advertise it, and certainly cannot hide her! She has never been crated during the trip and has her own place in the back seat as she usually sleeps on the ride down, and definetly sleeps (very soundly) on the way home. We usually just roll the window down enough for her to be seen and quite frankly I think because of her size she is intimidating - but the worst thing she would ever do is lick you to death.
I say bring your doggie - they will have as much fun if not more than you do.

Last edited:

DeniseAck

Thank you everyone for your replies. Unfortunately, it seems like we're unable to bring the dog this time after all. I will, however, save all your responses! I appreciate it!