Depreciation: Land v Building Value

Hey all, quick question- 2013 was my first year as an owner, and I am doing my Schedule E for rental income. To calculate depreciation, you have to allocate the purchase price between the land and building value. I have no idea what to do here, especially considering the Mexican land ownership laws (fideicomiso). I assume most people may just outsource this work to an accountant, but I'd appreciate any advice since I prefer to do my taxes solo. Thanks!

Marty

Kea

Check the appraisal section of the fideicomiso. You might be able to get an estimate from there.

Landshark

Hey all, quick question- 2013 was my first year as an owner, and I am doing my Schedule E for rental income. To calculate depreciation, you have to allocate the purchase price between the land and building value. I have no idea what to do here, especially considering the Mexican land ownership laws (fideicomiso). I assume most people may just outsource this work to an accountant, but I'd appreciate any advice since I prefer to do my taxes solo. Thanks! Marty
So you claim rental income in the US on a foreign owned income producing property, depreciate the property, deduct expenses, etc. Then you are required to register, file, & pay taxes with Mexican Hacienda, I assume doing the same depreciation, expenses, etc. If and when you sell, capitol gains tax due to both countries with countless fees. Sounds like a big mess to me. Bet you're glad the IRS changed their mind on requiring form 3520 and taxing owner usage of properties held in a Fideicomiso!

marazz

Disclaimer: this is how it's done in the US, I have no idea about Mexico but this may give you some ideas how to get there. Save copies of any documentation, if this is ever questioned at least you did not use the PFA method, and for someone to say you were wrong, they'd have to find better documentation which probably is not worth the effort down the road.

To figure the ratio of land to improvements, find a couple vacant lots that recently sold, that are similar to yours (ocean front if yours is ocean front, etc, and close in proximity). Lacking recent land sales you could use listings, but I'd deduct 10-20% unless people typically get their asking price in your area. Then do the same with houses, get your best evidence as to what your house would sell for. Subtract the estimated land value from the total price and that's the contribution of your improvements and there is your percentage.

In the US, land in a typical subdivision is going to be somewhat less than 1/3 of the total price (custom lots, view lots, acreage can be different). Could be as low as 10%, depending on the area. Built up areas with no vacant sales, homes that have been around 50-60 years, much harder to estimate but can be done.

On a condo, there is no land value, you own "air rights."

I don't know if appraisals in Mexico are anything like in the US, but in the US most appraisals will estimate the land value in the cost approach section. So you could figure the percentage it was at time of purchase, that is likely good enough for tax purposes, unless you've owned the place for 40 years or something.

You might also consult one of the local realtors who might help come up with some numbers, maybe they can refer you to a local appraiser and you could see what they'd charge you for something in writing. Good luck.

Thanks all for the feedback and advice. I contacted the notary who finalized my trust and they indicated that land and building values are explicitly called out within the trust. I hadn't looked through it because the trust is the size of a thick book. Sure enough, the info is in there. Just as an interesting FYI, the breakout came to 28% land & 72% building as a share of the total assessed value.