Directions to Shell Beach?

mojo

I have seen a few postings for a Shell beach - can someone give me directions? Also, is it an area that is accessible by car? I think I read somewhere that it is a sand road to the beach. Any help and information is appreciated . . .

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
"Shell Beach" is pretty much anywhere from Playa Encanto and East. There are a lot of roads that will take you down to the Playas east of town.

Take Fremont (the last light on the main road before you swing into the Malecon) east out of town about 8 miles and you will see the sign to the Encanto turnoff- this dirt road down to the beach is passable by passenger car. When you get to the end, take a left and park near one of the several failed condo projects out there, and just walk east along the beach. Take a small shovel and dig right on the water line - seashell city.

Like AZFish pointed out- there are also TONS of piles of shells east of the La Pinta Estuary (about 20 miles east of town)

If you want Conch and Murex shells by the Gazillions, then head down to Lobos - there are piles of shells down there that could fill a dump truck.

Kenny

I think that Mark knows this, probably some other old timers too. "Shell beach" is kind of a remote beach north of Cholla bay, but the beaches mentioned are all great for beach combing for shells, and probably what their looking for. Not sure, but I think Mark might have Kayaked over to shell beach and shot some video of it.

Kenny

How do you get to the "shell beach" north of Cholla Bay
I'm not sure now day's how people get over there, but it has to be easier than it was years ago. Not sure, but Mark must have been very close to it on this trip over to the other side of Cholla bay.
[video=youtube;51BzyIeRSSg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51BzyIeRSSg[/video]

Kenny

Now I'm not saying it's the best place to pick up pristine shells, but I do know it's called shell beach because of the number of shells that there are there. It only makes sense, that bay is a natural catch basin, just like La Pinta and Marua.

I think I recognize the area in Mark's video....it's over in the area of Black Mountain....across Cholla Bay from JJ's.....here's a link to a Google map that has a marker for it (Shell Beach).....not sure about the roads to get there anymore.....when all the development started in that area (golf course/development, etc.) many of the dirt roads were fenced.
Puerto Penasco Places of Interest - Google Maps click on the marker in the center of the screen

Kenny

I think I recognize the area in Mark's video....it's over in the area of Black Mountain....across Cholla Bay from JJ's.....here's a link to a Google map that has a marker for it (Shell Beach).....not sure about the roads to get there anymore.....when all the development started in that area (golf course/development, etc.) many of the dirt roads were fenced.
Puerto Penasco Places of Interest - Google Maps click on the marker in the center of the screen
The first time I was there was over 50 years ago, and I think we took our boat over. When I decided to find it again as a adult in 85, I followed fence lines and trails to get there. You couldn't do that today though. I'm glad it was marked as Shell Beach on the map, it's always nice to get confirmation, Thanks.

across Cholla Bay from JJ's
Well yes, that's what my caption says.
this trip over to the other side of Cholla bay.

playaperro

El Pirata
Shell beach is a day trip up north of penasco, bring your grill plenty of drink, its in an isolated area only a few of us know here is a pic....Shell Beach.jpg

Playa...there may a secret "shell beach", or several more of the same....that new coast highway up to El Golfo opened access to many areas, with plenty of beach to explore, if you can get down to it .....but the one in Mark's video is across Cholla Bay from JJ's that he kayaked to..........

Kenny

Playa...there may a secret "shell beach", or several more of the same....that new coast highway up to El Golfo opened access to many areas, with plenty of beach to explore, if you can get down to it .....but the one in Mark's video is across Cholla Bay from JJ's that he kayaked to..........
And I know personally that it's been called shell beach for over 50 years.

Now I've dug 4 feet deep through nothing but castle shells at the north end of La pinta, and I never did find out how deep they went. There are more than a few places where shells have settled for a hundreds of years, and I guess anyone of them could be called shell beach.

Myself I've always found the best shells right after a high tide, with a offshore wind push, by just walking the high water line.

I have the pic from 1956 does that make me better than both of you!
OK Charley Brown.....LOL....all I'm pointing out is where the shell beach in Mark's video is located....I've been there by truck and on my jetski, although that's a bit tricky with the soft sand that gets sucked up in the pump in the shallow water (and also all the stingray)......no arguing about the location of your secret shell beach....

Kenny

He's a picture of Rosie and he sister back in the day, and who knows, they could be heading out to shell beach.(I love this Picture) Do you think they had insurance?