DirecTV Wifi

playaperro

El Pirata
I was just curious if anyone has loaded the Directv app? Will it work with telmex wifi or do I have to use a pretentious USA address? Can I load Netflix while I'm at it? What other roko or stick will work, headed down Sunday.

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
I have DirecTV but have only used the app a couple of times. In general, most of the streaming TV or Movie services (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc) will not work outside the US- when you connect to WiFi it will detect your IP address is in Mexico and it will say something like "Sorry, our service is not available in your area"

You can get around this with a VPN to route your internet traffic through a US IP address. Its not too hard to do on an iPad or Laptop- there are both free and paid VPN services with varying pros and cons. Its a little bit more tricky to connect a Roku or other streaming box/stick to a VPN but is possible jumping through a few more hoops. I use this one on my kids ipad so they can watch some of the individual channel apps (Nick Kids, Disney, etc):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hotspotshield-vpn-wifi-proxy/id443369807?mt=8

The free version has some annoying ads but it has worked like a charm most of the time...

mondone

Whitecaps
I get Netflix, NHL.tv, and Amazon Prime through my RPwifi in Encanto with no VPN used. I have tried a few VPN's with no success for some other services.

tndr_cpl

I get Netflix, NHL.tv, and Amazon Prime through my RPwifi in Encanto with no VPN used. I have tried a few VPN's with no success for some other services.
Excuse my ignorance, but which wifi service do you use in Playa Encanto? I googled RPwifi and didn't come up with anything. We are waiting to close on a house in PE and will want to start wife service soon after we close.

playaperro

El Pirata
Thank you, I was hoping to take a new wifi DVR and load it up with all the app, guess I will keep paying Directv.

The Man

I was just curious if anyone has loaded the Directv app? Will it work with telmex wifi or do I have to use a pretentious USA address? Can I load Netflix while I'm at it? What other roko or stick will work, headed down Sunday.
You need to get a good VPN to hide you from being in Mexico. Don't know if the free cheaper ones work good. I use HMA "Hide My Ass" VPN and I use any city in the US.
Then shut off your system and re-start up. Then you will be like your in the states. Programmers want you to be in an area that commercials are.

The Man

You need to get a good VPN to hide you from being in Mexico. Don't know if the free cheaper ones work good. I use HMA "Hide My Ass" VPN and I use any city in the US.
Then shut off your system and re-start up. Then you will be like your in the states. Programmers want you to be in an area that commercials are.
The VPN works on cell phones and computers also.

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
Why not just use your Direct TY box Many of us do it and if you need help pointing use Luckville as an address.
Buy a second dish like you have at home and set it up an a stand.