Do i need 4x4 to get to the Estuary?

badfish

I love this site. I can ask locals and people who travel to PP often questions.

So my question today is about the Estuary. I haven't been there in more than ten years. We tried to get there through Los Conchas in March and made it as far as Tessoro. We were a afraid to take the road leading there because my truck is not 4x4. So i looked on google maps and had seen a road from Freemont that leads to another dirt road that goes directly to the estuary.

Is that road hard packed? Or the other roads that lead to it? Will i need 4x4? Is the oyster farm restaurant still open there?

My family has never been there and i would love to take them. Any advise would help.

Thanks, Matt

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=31.32446,-113.534775&spn=0.060709,0.103168&t=h&z=14&om=1&source=embed

badfish

They drop their tires to ten psi? I thought about that. I'm a chicken to. That's why I haven't been there in so long.

Roberto

Go to La Pinta estuary. Take the highway toward Caborca, pass the Maya Palace entrance a couple of miles. Watch on the right had side for an abandoned house and a very wide dirt road. It comes up on you quick after a dip in the road so keep a close watch on the right. Turn right, the road is good. This will take you directly to La Pinta, about a mile or so. Park at Gillespie's abandoned hacienda and you can walk the beach for miles. Will probably be some pangeros, everyone is friendly.

You can get to the Marua, the one next to Las Conchas, by taking the road with the sign for the Ostione off the Caborca highway. It's a good passable road as well. If you look carefully at the Google map you can see the buildings at the Ostione on the Marua at the end of the road. You could also just park out in Las Conchas near Tessoro, and walk, it's not far.

Both are fun but La Pinta will knock your socks off.

Don't ask Joe to take you there..............he'll get you there, but in a round-about way, LOL!!! Just teasing you a bit Joe.....you know I love ya buddy!!!!

AZ ROB

Roberto is that the same Gillespie that was in the book Gillespie's gold? That was a good story just wish it had a little more history.

Don't ask Joe to take you there..............he'll get you there, but in a round-about way, LOL!!! Just teasing you a bit Joe.....you know I love ya buddy!!!!
Julie...if you're referring to the Oyster festival last year....I thought it was at the first oyster farm.....the second one is a straight shot from the main road (to Caborca/Mayan)...but for either, you can get there with 2WD....that's what I have, and I didn't even lower the tire pressure.

Esperanza

Go to La Pinta estuary. Take the highway toward Caborca, pass the Maya Palace entrance a couple of miles. Watch on the right had side for an abandoned house and a very wide dirt road. It comes up on you quick after a dip in the road so keep a close watch on the right. Turn right, the road is good. This will take you directly to La Pinta, about a mile or so. Park at Gillespie's abandoned hacienda and you can walk the beach for miles. Will probably be some pangeros, everyone is friendly.

You can get to the Marua, the one next to Las Conchas, by taking the road with the sign for the Ostione off the Caborca highway. It's a good passable road as well. If you look carefully at the Google map you can see the buildings at the Ostione on the Marua at the end of the road. You could also just park out in Las Conchas near Tessoro, and walk, it's not far.

Both are fun but La Pinta will knock your socks off.
Yep, been out to La Pinta. Beautiful place, lots of pangas and people fishing from shore; both locals & "gringos"....LOL. We found it easily, Thank You Roberto, and drove right down to the water. We drove back from the street w/o 4wd and did not lower our tire pressure. Like Roberto says, in 2wd, park up by the house and walk down. I remember the tide moves fast, so watch out!

Hubby wants to head out that way again to fish.....Need to catch the tide "on the way in" this time AND leave the dogs at home =)

audsley

La Pinta rocks. The locals are friendly and there's always one or two who speak some English. I'll be down Oct. 12-17 and will probably hit La Pinta at least two mornings.

Are the girls still serving oysters at Marua?

Last edited:

Roberto

Roberto is that the same Gillespie that was in the book Gillespie's gold? That was a good story just wish it had a little more history.
Yep, that's him. The road from the highway continues to Sonoita and passes both Gillespie's orchard site where he had a well and the gold mine up on Sierra La Pinta. That's the road described in the book that he used to drive the VW on. You can also visit the site of his stamping mill at the estuary. Call me and we'll go out there.

Roberto

Not sure why Esperanza wants to leave her dogs at home, but it made me think. The other side of the Marua from the Ostione is a bird sanctuary and there are signs to leash you dog. Also the oyster farmers might not like the dogs in the water around the oyster beds, there are no swimming signs up there. No problems at La PInta except maybe dog fights with the local perros, of which there have been several living there in the past.

badfish

Not sure why Esperanza wants to leave her dogs at home, but it made me think. The other side of the Marua from the Ostione is a bird sanctuary and there are signs to leash you dog. Also the oyster farmers might not like the dogs in the water around the oyster beds, there are no swimming signs up there. No problems at La PInta except maybe dog fights with the local perros, of which there have been several living there in the past.
That makes sense.

Esperanza

We have 3 dogs, ranging from 12 lbs to 40lbs....all with various levels of training. At home, Playa Lopez, Bella (the baby) took off after a bird while we were walking on the beach. We thought she was going to get to Cholla before we could catch her....LOL! She got so far away from us that she couldn't hear us yelling for her over the sound of the surf.

So, since I'm the "dog keeper" while DH is fishing, I will either leave them at home....we've have a BIG fenced in yard or ????.

Basically, they can be a handful sometimes....LOL BUT, they are our babies and we don't leave them in the US!

badfish

Roberto, is this the group of building that you are talking about? If so, do they have a clam or oyster bar there?

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
That's the place and I take my 15 passenger van out there at least a few times a month so yes you can get there from here without 4x4 just do not drive into the estuary itself.

Luna

Sea Shell Goddess
We go the La Pinta every time we are in PP. Great place to get sea shells (because for some reason we always have to bring some home :confused:). We park at the end and walk up one way and then down the other. Big doggie runs and plays and has a blast. Although we have a truck, it is not 4WD. No problems.

Roberto

Just for accuracy, that Ostione is not on La Pinta. It is on the Marua. La Pinta has the old ruin of Gillespie's hacienda on the beach at then end of the entrance road. No Ostione currently.