Do it yourself Mexican style shrimp cocktail recipe

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Ok, here's my homemade spin on the old favorite...

I'm not declaring this to even be close to the caliber you can get in RP, but I think it does a pretty good job when you are sitting at home wishing you were sitting on the Malecon 150 miles to the south.

The best part is that all the ingredients can be found at your neighborhood Bashas.

Now, I prefer my shrimp cocktails freshly made, similar to the way they serve them a La Curva, where the shrimp are still warm, and the sauce is ice cold. If you prefer yours completely chilled, then just mix it up as below then throw it back in the fridge for an hour or so...

Also- the ratios of the ingredients below are completely variable - adjust to your personal taste.

Here goes: this will make one serving (enough to fill a 12-16 ounce cocktail glass)

1) peel and vein However many shrimp you plan to eat- (I typically use 1/2 pound of 16-20's)
2) One medium Roma Tomato- diced
3) 2-3 tablespoons finely diced WHITE onion.
4) 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
5) 3 tablespoons soft avocado- diced
6) 5-6 inches of fresh celery stalk- either the whole stick, or diced.
7) Optional - a couple slices off a fresh cucumber- diced (I'm not a big cucumber fan, so I usually leave it out of mine)
8) A jug of Clamato (found on the juice aisle) - well chilled.
9) 1/4 teaspoon salt
10) a couple shakes of black pepper (or a couple turns on a fresh grinder)
12) One key lime (Limon)- halved
13) Optional- a couple shakes of your favorite bottled hot sauce (Tabasco, Cholula, etc...)

Steps:

Add cleaned shrimp, cilantro, onion, salt, pepper and tomato to a small sauce pan and add just enough water to cover the shrimp.

Bring the pan to a boil and boil just long enough for the shrimp to turn white, and immediately remove from the heat and let it sit for an additional 3-5 minutes, allowing the shrimp to finish cooking through - Don't boil it too long unless you like your shrimp rubbery :p

If you are a master of the microwave, usually 3 minutes on high in a microwave safe bowl usually does the trick- again let it sit for another 3-5 minutes after removing from the microwave.

If you like your cocktail chilled, then you can throw the cooked shrimp and veggie mixture to the fridge for a while to chill. If you like it with the shrimp warm as I do , then proceed to the next step:

Strain your cooked shrimp and veggies from the pan and add them to your cocktail glass- add a couple tablespoons of the leftover cooking juice.

Pour enough cold Clamato juice over it to cover everything and fill the glass about 3/4 full

Add your chopped avocado, celery, and cucumber, and finish with a couple shakes of hot sauce, and the juice squeezed from your halved lime.

Grab your saltine crackers and a cold cerveza and enjoy !

:chef:

Oh Robert, Jamaicin me crazy for a Mexican shrimp cocktail! My wife also makes a mean one, but rarely in Flagstaff. I guess i'll get my fix this Saturday at Mary's.

DeniseAck

Yum! Sounds delish! We knew (thanks to the awesomeness of posters here) about the delicious shrimp available at the fish market on Ave. Sinaloa between B. Juarez and Juan Aldama and that we'd be getting a 2 kilo package. Not having a big kitchen to work with, we made our cocktail sauce the quick, cheap and easy way. We've learned to bring the horseradish from America. I've never found it yet in Mexican grocery stores.

Ingredients:
Gold's prepared horseradish (NOT CREAMED) (in a jar, usually in the refrigerated section of the grocery)
Ketchup
Limes

Prepare in a nice big bowl. It gets better as it sits, so make more than you'll eat in one sitting. Start with the ketchup and add as much horseradish and lime to your taste. I like it hot, so a few spoonfuls works for me. If you add too much, just add more ketchup.

We even brought some when we went to El Pinacate. I bet we're the only people *ever* to have a shrimp cocktail picnic on the edge of a volcano. ;)

IMG_6816.jpgIMG_6814.jpg

GV Jack

Snorin God
OK Robert. I made your Mexican Shrimp last night and it was delicious. It was loaded with veggies and shrimp. I also had a fruit salad with it which went quite well.

I think next time I will invent one called the Mexican Bloody Mary Shrimp Cocktail and use Mr. & Mrs T's Bold and Spicy and maybe just a shot of vodka. I think after all that work, one deserves a little reward.

Attachments