Does Monsoon season affect Peñasco???

I live in Nogales and Monsoon season started on Wednesday. Like clockwork, every year the rains come at this time last for 6-8 weeks. Im not aware that RP sees the same phenomenon- I'm assuming not? (at least not to the same degree? In NOG there are absolute downpours that can happen for days in a row) Im headed down next in about 10 days and want to know if I need to prepare. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
It rained like crazy in last nights storm....like 5"......raindrops every 5 inches......this lasted for about 5 minutes. It was horribe.

jerry

pistachio Orchard south of Bowie az today....mostly blue sky's and out of nowhere a wall of water ( 5 feet deep and fast) cut me off from my ranch for three hours..

image.jpg

AZRob

Im still fixing thinks around the house that got broke by the micro burst that hit the neighborhood, lifted my glass and metal table and landed it in the middle of the yard and snapped the umbrella in half broke the welded pipe of the umbrella holder (base). On the news they said 50 MPH I say 75 or greater it was like a tornado.

I live in Nogales and Monsoon season started on Wednesday. Like clockwork, every year the rains come at this time last for 6-8 weeks. Im not aware that RP sees the same phenomenon- I'm assuming not? (at least not to the same degree? In NOG there are absolute downpours that can happen for days in a row) Im headed down next in about 10 days and want to know if I need to prepare. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, Penasco gets the moisture as well -- The pattern of the monsoon begins in Central America and travels northward into The States . . . Penasco is en route.

Getting back to the monsoon in RP, not anywhere else.
RP mainly gets the cloud build ups in the distance, the humidity and wind from the monsoon. Storms come so tantalizingly close.
The ocean gets pretty active, messing with the fishing and becomes very interesting if your on a boat.

Typically 2-3 storms will actually make it through RP every summer, in 20+ years, I've only seen 3 decent down pours of rain, but I am not
there full time, usually 2-3 trips during the mid-July-late Sept. period.

Love watching the lightning hit the water as storms try to come in and pray for that cooling wind from a storm.
Hate the heat, the humidity that makes you want to be in the water all the time and especially when the wind dies for 2-3 days at a time.
That is pretty typical July 10 through September 30.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
The main worries will be on the way to RP thru route 86 and 85 as the rains do make a mess of the roads on the way south and sometimes you might have to wait for the water to go down to continue your trip to RP, specially in 85 along Organ Pipe park, if you drive a truck or a tall car sometimes makes it faster to go across the washes but still dangerous to go across some of the washes as they are deep and seem shallow, like they say if you see it running then is your turn to stop!!

Roberto

What we do get from the monsoon season is to view the incredible huge cloud formations that pass by us to the East carrying the rain up to Az. Some clouds overhead too but virtually no rain here. Yes the road up can be a hazard. Remember the bad flooding in Sonoyta?

BootNHat

The correct answer is YES!! We are part of the source of the humidity that causes those thunderstorms in AZ, CA, and NM, but unfortunately we seldom get any of the rain on the coast. And I also love the lightning display that happen to the East. Everyone north of here think the monsoon season is about rain but it about annual flow of humid air. The flow of humid air from Mexico and further South happens every year. Of course that means lots of rain the closer you get to mountains. Humid air rises, clouds form, rain falls.. duhhh... The real question is
" How will Climate Change effect this Normal annual event"?

Last edited:

jerry

The correct answer is YES!! We are part of the source of the humidity that causes those thunderstorms in AZ, CA, and NM, but unfortunately we seldom get any of the rain on the coast. And I also love the lightning display that happen to the East. Everyone north of here think the monsoon season is about rain but it about annual flow of humid air. The flow of humid air from Mexico and further South happens every year. Of course that means lots of rain the closer you get to mountains. Humid air rises, clouds form, rain falls.. duhhh... The real question is
" How will Climate Change effect this Normal annual event"?
We are all going to die......under a beach umbrella with a cold drink is not a bad scene of the crime

mondone

Whitecaps
I heard on the weather report this morning that from Ajo right down to Penasco got very heavy rain last night. I was planning on heading down Friday and am wondering if anyone has traveled today or heard how the roads conditions are?

ron

Came down Tuesday morning and you could see they had had a lot of rain but the roads were clear. Hope this helps.

jerry

Going toward Lobos? Look out. From Defrente

El Departamento de Protección Civil y bomberos de Puerto Peñasco recomienda a la población extremar precauciones al viajar por la carretera Peñasco-Caborca ya que el vado de "la antena" se encuentra con alto flujo de agua debido a las lluvias.

Fotos: Bomberos Peñasco
The Department of Civil protection and firemen of Puerto Peñasco recommends people take extra precautions when travelling by the carretera Peñasco-Caborca "antenna" Ford is with high flow of water due to the rains.

Photos: Fire rock (Translated by Bing)

Thanks Jerry- I am headed down Monday from Nogales. Its about 4 hours either way whether I go through Mexico (SantaAna-Altar-Caborca-Y) or through the US (Tucson-Why-Lukeville). I had been on the fence because the US drive down 86 is SOOOO boring. If during daytime hours, I like the Mexico drive much more (road conditions aside)- passing through the small towns, stopping for tacos, etc. But I have been hesitant due to the 'Highway to Hell' combined with the rain season. Those pics pretty much seal the deal- gonna head through the US this time!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
well, if we put together all of the elements that makes a weather system then we can say that the Monsoons affect all of the world, which it does or at least 4 of the 6 continents but Rocky Point, as it does not have torrential rains but once in a great while, however the roads that leads to Rocky Point might be flooded on the north and on the south on the areas that do have rains due to the concentration of humidity coming from the coastal areas along the states of Sinaloa and Sonora and inland from Chihuaha to Monterrey all the way up into the northern states of USA, but still it rains very little in Rocky Point!!!

Have fun on the beach and watch out for jellyfish!!!

MIRAMAR

Hi Southbeacher- we were in Penasco (Miramar) last night, and while there was a beautiful lightening storm all around Penasco, the vados are all passable without water on the road. There is water on both sides of the road out to Caborca, so any more rain will bring it in the road. It was really windy which made it really nice sitting on the porch. The waves were really big- along with the tides, and we didn't see any jelly fish or sting rays either. In town, it was really busy for a Sunday night. Have a great trip!

Last edited: