Does the border really stay open until midnight?

A

azskibum

Several years ago I had to make the trip from Phoenix late enough that it was 11:30 pm by the time we crossed the border at Lukeville. It was no problem then, and I'm just wondering if anyone has any recent experience with late night crossings?

I'm headed down to RP in a couple weeks and for reasons that can't be avoided, this will be another one of those 11:30 pm crossings. I would hate to get all the way to Lukeville just to find out that the guards decide to call it a day early!

yeah, had a flat on the way back recently on a late-night departure from penasco (i know, what were we thinking?!?) and the border was in fact open at 11:40 or so.

one holiday weekend....we were lined up about a mile back from the border....finally crossed just about midnight.....I was sweating it...didn't want to have to sleep in the vehicle at the border. I've asked the US customs people, and they said the mexicans will shut down at midnight....don't know what they will do if there is a line trying to cross.

call into work sick and stay another week! or, i guess you could spend the night in sonoyta for 6 hours or make the 50-minute drive back to penasco & stay somewhere cheap-yet-clean, like El Mirador Village.

oh, wait, you meant "in line," i guess that depends on how close you are in line, as there is that no-mans-land the two border stations sort of share. i'm guessing there's no mad rush to the border on any given midnight, so you'll probably only have a car or two TOPS in front of you.

Last edited: