Does the U.S. want Mexico to become a failed state?

jerry

If not we better let the Marines be able party on R&R in Baja.
http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2 ... camp_N.htm

Christ on a crutch, people are just such chickenshits.I've driven by the narcos on the Altar Sonoyta route 3 or 4 times and nobody has bothered me. We are bidding a Concrete top for a Bar in Tubac because Americans are too afraid to go to Nogales to eat at Elvira's anymore.The owner had to reopen in the U.S.
My dog's peanut butter dog treats are more dangerous statistically than a trip to mexico.

G

gunner

It's not just Tijuana, its RP as well. When our Marine came home for leave over the Holidays his CO would not approve him to go on a family trip to RP. Give it another year or so and they will get comfortable sending fire squads south of the boarder to pull their brothers out!!

Semper Fi

jerry

I think the officer class of all the services listens to talk radio too much.Guys like Rush are really pushing the "end of Mexico" story so they can use that as another reason to fight immigration reform

S

Submarine

I'm fine with it because the more tourism in RP takes a hit, the cheaper my favorite places to stay are!

Kenny

My dog's peanut butter dog treats are more dangerous statistically than a trip to mexico
That' right, one of those dogs is going to bite you if you keep stealing their treats.

Kenny

gunner said:
It's not just Tijuana, its RP as well. When our Marine came home for leave over the Holidays his CO would not approve him to go on a family trip to RP. Give it another year or so and they will get comfortable sending fire squads south of the boarder to pull their brothers out!!

Semper Fi
My son can't come to Penasco either right now. I tell myself that maybe intelligence reports give them more information than what the rest of us know, so I try to assume that somebody is trying to keep them safe. I'm so glad to have him back safely from Iraq that I won't complain about his not coming here to see me. I will just go there.

G

gunner

More restrictions placed on travel to Mexico

By Gidget Fuentes - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Jan 25, 2009 11:48:08 EST

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. — The top commander here has ordered that all Marines, including officers and senior enlisted Marines, must have their unit’s permission before traveling to Mexico.

Lt. Gen. Samuel Helland, I Marine Expeditionary Force commander, issued the tighter rules only a few weeks after he and other senior Marine Corps and Navy regional commanders clamped down on travel south of the border, where escalating violence between warring drug cartels is blamed for the deaths of nearly 6,000 people last year.

Recent media reports have suggested that Tijuana specifically is off limits, but a closer look at Helland’s updated Mexico travel policy shows that’s not exactly right.

“All I MEF personnel traveling to Mexico on leave, liberty or official business [must] possess a liberty chit signed by the first O-5 or higher in the traveler’s chain of command,” Helland’s policy states. I MEF includes West Coast-based infantry, aviation and logistics units.

The previous policy, adopted Dec. 24, required liberty chits only for staff sergeants and below.

In recent months, Mexican military personnel and police have confronted drug-trafficking organizations using automatic weapons, grenades and rocket-propelled grenades, officials have said.

“Due to the degree of prolonged, escalating violence, I MEF will extend the current liberty policy to a standing policy for all travel to Mexico,” the new policy states. “This is a prudent step in addressing the real threat to our personnel by ensuring a baseline level of oversight for any travel into the area. I MEF will continue to assess the situation and relax or tighten these procedures accordingly.”

The policy also applies to Marines and I MEF sailors whose immediate families live in Mexico.

Unit commanders can order stricter rules for their personnel, and since the Dec. 24 regional order, some units already were requiring liberty chits for all Marines and sailors who want to go to Mexico.

Under that broader policy, troops traveling to Mexico must:

• Use the “buddy system” with an approved liberty buddy.

• Receive a security brief.

• Complete the “Level I” anti-terrorism training class within the past 12 months.

• Register with the U.S. consulate in Mexico at http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/reg ... _1186.html.

jerry

hey I guess the peace corps guys,the kite boarders and the boyscouts get all the girls now the head of the marines think his guys can't handle themselves

B

bahiatrader

I remember when two of my Marine buddies and I went clear to Mexico City in a '56 Ford Crown Victoria convertible. That was back in the 60s when the peso was worth $0.125 in real money. Nobody took dollars back then either. One of the fun times in my life as a US Marine!

Kenny said:
My dog's peanut butter dog treats are more dangerous statistically than a trip to mexico
That' right, one of those dogs is going to bite you if you keep stealing their treats.

Kenny
Particularly if they come from the company that was selling salmonella laced peanut products!!!