Dos Huracanes

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Anyone look at the weather lately?

There is a medium sized hurricane off of the Cape today and a monster that will be in that same area next Saturday.

Should be a good day on the beach on our trip from El Desemboque to Santo Tomas next weekend.

Better batten down the hatches boys!

JJ

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Then the road washes out in El Golfo and on the way to the Mayan.

The summer annual wildflowers burst from their sleeping seeds then the Pronghorns, Chuckwallas and Desert Iguanas can finally feed after a full year of dead dried up nothing-ness.

JJ

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
At least it won't be too dry. I have never been hit by a tropical system in June...yet. As for Fall, that is a loooong story with quicksand and wildflowers galore.

Old55

Well Known Member
Any story with Quicksand in it is worth telling! North of Desemboque as a rough morning tide retreats…..pure fear moment as you just gun it !

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
There are some spots just inside the dunes near Santo Tomas that go super slick after a good soaking. We were coming in north of the light house through the desert for a while. It is not a good idea right after a tropical rain storm dumps 5 inches. We hit a pond and the wheels just started spinning. We stuck three vehicles. Our local buddy drove an older japaneese pickup to guide us to the beach, so we pushed that thing out to get help. after several hours of putting branches under tires and pushing in the mud we managed to free both vehicles and drive to the beach. We stuck to the main road after that fiasco. I have to say the ambience was stunning. The desert turned green overnight. There were butterflies in the millions. Just amazing to see. Or maybe all the tequila we drank while we were stuck just made it seem that way. This is the short version.

Old55

Well Known Member
There are some spots just inside the dunes near Santo Tomas that go super slick after a good soaking. We were coming in north of the light house through the desert for a while. It is not a good idea right after a tropical rain storm dumps 5 inches. We hit a pond and the wheels just started spinning. We stuck three vehicles. Our local buddy drove an older japaneese pickup to guide us to the beach, so we pushed that thing out to get help. after several hours of putting branches under tires and pushing in the mud we managed to free both vehicles and drive to the beach. We stuck to the main road after that fiasco. I have to say the ambience was stunning. The desert turned green overnight. There were butterflies in the millions. Just amazing to see. Or maybe all the tequila we drank while we were stuck just made it seem that way. This is the short version.
If Rosa hit a little bit harder no one would have gotten into Playa Miramar for years! https://eros.usgs.gov/image-gallery/image-comparison-sliders/rainfall-follows-rosa

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
That other story was way before Rosa. When Rosa hit all my buddies got stuck in Playa Encanto but one. He and I made it to Santo Tomas. We always split the food up with each guy taking a meal to make for everyone. He brought eggs and chorizo. I brought Sinaloa style chicken. We both had some random fruit and snacks. Four days of roast chicken put me off that dish for a year. Now I like it again. I also had my four runner give up the ghost on that trip. Years ago I let a moron drive it once. Like a true moron he drove through a salt water puddle at 35 mph despite everyone in the truck yelling at him to stop. The water went over the windshield. I had it detailed when I came back and even sprayed the shit out of the undercarriage and engine compartment myself just to be sure. 10 years of corrosion later all the electrical wires that were in the conduit that the water found failed at the same time. The truck was in great shape other than that. I got an estimate of $5000 to fix a truck with a $1500 blue book value. Junker gave me $400. I miss that truck. I eventually bought a well used Subaru Outback and I must say it is great for running that beach. Moral of the story: if a moron drives your vehicle through a salt puddle at a high rate of speed, sell it when you get home. Also, don't let a moron drive your vehicle.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
12 lbs. Totally stock with normal size radial tires. I just crawled up the dune the first time about 5 mph to see what would happen. It never slipped or slowed, just walked on up. I wouldn't bounce it through the desert, but it is as good on the sand as anything I have driven. As for the desert bouncing truck my favorite was my Dodge Durango 4x4. Horrid gas mileage, but man it was a monster. The four runner was great too, and decent mileage, but I killed it before it's time.