Driving from Vegas to Penasco

El Gato

Has anyone driven from Vegas to Penasco since the Coastal Highway opened up? Kids are coming down next Sunday and map quest sent them from Vegas to San Luis and then on Highway 2 to Penasco (didn't show Coastal Highway). Not sure if this is faster/easier then going through Gila Bend from Vegas.

If Coastal Highway is the best way to go does anyone have good directions for people who have never been to Mexico before and get lost easily driving in the States (they take after me).

They are planning on leaving Vegas about 1pm then staying overnight someplace so they aren't driving in Mexico at night.

Thanks for any suggestions.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Road Log to SLRC.jpgIf they are avoiding Phx and will be west of it then the San Luis option is awesome. If they stayed in Yuma the night before and drove the 20 miles or so to San Luis in the morning they would get here fast. Once you cross the border at San Luis you will drive straight ahead for 2-3 blocks. You will turn left and be on a main road that runs parallel to Highway 2. You cant turn directly onto Hwy 2 at the border as it is a one way there. in another 2 blocks you will see a sign to turn left for highway 2. Go East onto 2 and drive roughly 5 miles to a brand new road which is well marked, it has a huge sign for El Golfo and Puerto Penasco. It is a toll road so be prepared to pay 94 pesos or 8-9 dollars depending on exchange and yes they accept dollars. You will be on this toll road for 35 miles or so. There is highway patrol on this road (dont ask me how I know) traffic rolls along about 65 to 70. This road terminates with the road to El Golfo you will turn left there and go about 25 miles to El Golfo. Before you actually get to El Golfo there is a brand new road (Coastal Highway) turn left or if you need a break go into El Golfo and there is a real nice mini mart and gas station on the right. Back to the Coastal Highway, 1 hour and 45 minutes of beautiful road and views of the ocean and salt flats and marshes it is a great drive. Its very easy to use we use the road several times a year on our trip to Tijuana and Rosarito. Hope this helps

Cortez2

I drive from Salt Lake City to Penasco 2 to 3 times a month. I always go thru Vegas, then to Kingman AZ, then thru Wikeup and wickenburg to 303 to I-10 Gila bend to Penasco.
I have gone thru San Luis 2 times never again. It is too long and to much 2 way traffic. Make it easy no tolls, much less 2 way traffic, much safer, and much quicker. Good Luck

El Gato

Thanks - that is sort of my feeling, plus they can stay in Ajo or Gila Bend and not have as much driving time in the morning - wasting a lot of beautiful beach time.

I drive from Salt Lake City to Penasco 2 to 3 times a month. I always go thru Vegas, then to Kingman AZ, then thru Wikeup and wickenburg to 303 to I-10 Gila bend to Penasco.
I have gone thru San Luis 2 times never again. It is too long and to much 2 way traffic. Make it easy no tolls, much less 2 way traffic, much safer, and much quicker. Good Luck

I drive from Vegas quite often, I prefer crossing at Lukeville which only leaves a little better than an hour of driving in Mexico which I am much more comfortable with as I generally am alone. Also have heard crossing back into the US thru San Luis is a nightmare.

El Gato

How long does the trip normally take you? Tks.
I drive from Vegas quite often, I prefer crossing at Lukeville which only leaves a little better than an hour of driving in Mexico which I am much more comfortable with as I generally am alone. Also have heard crossing back into the US thru San Luis is a nightmare.