Driving south to Mazatlan

Anyone made the trip to Mazatlan? How is the road....is it a tollroad?

If not that far down the coast...how about some info on the road to Guaymas?

Where can I get the car pass (or whatever it's called)? Do they issue it at Sonoita?

E

El Feo

Never driven the road to Matzatlan, but the maps show a 4 lane divided toll road most of the way. A friend who does drive there said the road is good all the way.

To Guaymas from Penasco the worst part is the road to Caborca. After Santa Ana it's 4 lane toll to Hermosillo then 4 lane free to Guaymas.

You cannot get the permit in Sonoita but at the stop down the highway from Sonoita to Caborca.

You don't need a permit if you are going to Guaymas. Only after Empalme is a permit required. If you have an FM you can get the permit for a longer time. Check out the link to Sonora Tourism appearing inthe links section of the message board.

C

cactusamigo

Mexican highway tolls can eat you alive. A free (libre) alternative bypass is usually available. Some are a short, picturesque detour, others are a major inconvenience. For example, I prefer to drive through Magdelana, rather than pay the toll for the bypass. The same at Guaymas. However, the free alternative north of Hermosillo takes you way out of you way, and is usually not worth the toll savings. Check the maps, do your research, and plan your trip.

Where's a good place in Phoenix to get maps? I have an older Mexican map, but would like something more up to date. Is there anyplace besides Wide World of Maps???

L

Leenie

Mazatlan

I haven't driven to Mazatlan but a few years ago I drove to Guymas from Nogales. The road was absolutly fine and easy to follow. The only difficulty was in Hermosillo since it was a city but the roads were well marked.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
What's wrong with Wide World of Maps? It has absolutely everything. I could get lost in there; it's one of my favorite stores! I don't know of any other store in Phoenix like it. Perhaps you could try Google?

What's wrong with Wide World of Maps? It has absolutely everything. I could get lost in there; it's one of my favorite stores! I don't know of any other store in Phoenix like it. Perhaps you could try Google?
Nothing wrong with the store....but the last time I was in looking for something related to Mexico (marine type charts), they were limited in what they carried. I will admit that it was 3-4 years ago!

S

Submarine

You aren't a member? Oh wait, that's AA....lol. How many times has my ex gone through the revolving door?