Driving to Hermosillo from Penasco

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Anyone driven to Hermosillo lately? Are there any ID's needed at the check points like a Passport to drive from Penasco to Hermosillo?
My son is planning on a trip to Hermosillo starting at Penasco, but his passport has expired.
Is a car permit required these days?
How is the road?
Thx

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
The road from Peñasco to Santa Anna goes from rough to smooth and back again and is two lanes only. Y griega and Caborca can be sketchy after dark. From Santa Anna to Hermosillo is on a 4 lane divided hwy which was very good early last year. No one checks passports and Hermosillo is in the free zone so no car permit is required. There is a toll just north of Hermosillo.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
The road from Peñasco to Santa Anna goes from rough to smooth and back again and is two lanes only. Y griega and Caborca can be sketchy after dark. From Santa Anna to Hermosillo is on a 4 lane divided hwy which was very good early last year. No one checks passports and Hermosillo is in the free zone so no car permit is required. There is a toll just north of Hermosillo.
Thank you Russ,
One more question, the car is in my name but has Mexican Insurance with my son's and my name will that be a problem if he was stopped?
Thx again, I still owe you a beer.

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
I assume that the car is USA plated and that your son is not a permanent resident of Mexico. On the safe side issue a letter allowing him to drive your car.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Russ, One more question, is a FFM visa needed these days? Just wondering about going to Hermosillo without one.
I haven't got one in many years. Thx

Buffalo Marty

Well Known Member
There is a toll just north of Hermosillo.
One note to add to Russ' comments, the toll just north of Hermosillo has been "taken over" by the public for what I think is going on 2 years now- same story with the tolls in Magdalena, Obregon and Navojoa.
It would normally be like 80 pesos in Hermosillo, but currently there are usually just kids there collecting "tips"- who knows where that money goes but I usually throw in 10-15 pesos...

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Russ, One more question, is a FFM visa needed these days? Just wondering about going to Hermosillo without one.
I haven't got one in many years. Thx
FMM is technically always required for stays over 72 hours. It's easy to get at the border and worth having in the event of an accident, you don't need the insurance company declining coverage because you are not legal in the country....y 2 centavos.

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Well that's a good thing to know, I know virtually no one gets them and many are there for more than 72 hours. Thx

amagick

Would the recommendation still be to take Sonora 2 to Santa Ana and then Mexico 15 down to Hermosillo? Or is it better to take the 3 all the way down the coast and then take the 100 over to Hermosillo?

amagick

Anyone? Will be making this drive as early as this Thursday and have interest in the coastal route but of course want to make sure its a good idea versus the toll road.

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
Anyone? Will be making this drive as early as this Thursday and have interest in the coastal route but of course want to make sure its a good idea versus the toll road.
I just did the coastal route coming north from Kino Bay to Libertad. That is a freaking adventure I will not repeat. Pot holes most of the way, some big enough to eat a suburban. There are about ten areas where the road is eroded down to one narrow lane with a big drop off on one side. YMMV but I am turning around at Libertad from now on. It goes steeply downhill about ten miles south of there. The road to Caborca is fine except some pot holes closer to Penasco. Lobos and Libertad are interesting, but the route south from there is a potential car killer.

Old55

Well Known Member
I just did the coastal route coming north from Kino Bay to Libertad. That is a freaking adventure I will not repeat. Pot holes most of the way, some big enough to eat a suburban. There are about ten areas where the road is eroded down to one narrow lane with a big drop off on one side. YMMV but I am turning around at Libertad from now on. It goes steeply downhill about ten miles south of there. The road to Caborca is fine except some pot holes closer to Penasco. Lobos and Libertad are interesting, but the route south from there is a potential car killer.
Shit TJ that sounds like that sweet spot between terror and fun I always seek out!
Amajck
You turn off at Libertad so it might be doable but Id just go through Caborca