East coast newbie headed to Bahia Kino

kanvery

Guys this is my first post and I've been looking all over for information about kino bay with varied success. I'll be there for 3 months over the summer and was wondering if anyone had any insider tips/tricks for that area. My plan is to bring the usual castmasters and bait rig. I also have bigger stuff to catch and flyline bait. One of my main questions is, are there areas close enough that I could kayak out a large bait for big fish? Also, does anyone know what season/months are best for fishing in that area?
Thanks in advance!

kanvery

Yea I looked around that site there's just not very much actual info on the fishing. Especially inshore or from shore. I see what species are there but not what the beach looks like or how far out the reefs are; the good first hand stuff.

Kenny

These picture's tell part of the story, and I know where I'd head for; the points.

Last edited:

Roberto

The little island, Alcatraz , in the lower photos is probably close enough to kayak out to. The beaches in Kino Nuevo and Kino Viejo are sandy. There may be reefs close by but I don't know about them. If you go all the way through Kino Nuevo and go right where the road ends at that promentory, you will be on the road shown in photo 1 that goes out past the white buildings. There is a public beach there. You might explore that area along the coast. There is another rocky promentory that you can just see at the top of the photo. If you go far enough you can visit the Seri villages near Tibiron. If you have time you will love the trip up the coast but be prepared for one of the roughest roads in Sonora, I would not take a low sedan up there. The Seris usually gather at the north end of Kino Nuevo near the Seri museum offering their crafts for sale. There are a couple of great books about the seri and that area if you are interested in reading. Be glad to send you some titles if you want. Search Sonora on ABE books site.

If you go toward the south from Kino it is pretty much all estuary. There are HUGE shrimp farms all along that coast for miles. The currents around the islands are legendary with tidal changes so watch it. There are a lot of panga fishermen working off the beach in Kino Viejo who could tell you what is what. They aim their panga at the beach and hit full throttle, sliding up the beach in the sand. First time I saw that I though they were suicidal !!

I spent a lot of time in Kino but only fished there with the kids using a coke can and some line off the beach. I brough a little spinning rig for one and he could not use it and switched back to the can ! There was a Mulle that went out pretty far but it was destroyed in a storm, may be rebuilt now.

Are you staying in Kino Nuevo or Kino Viejo? Stop by the house just off the square behind the grocery store in Kino Viejo and say hello to Goyo Apodaca. He fished out of Kino and Lobos for 50 years. There used to be a couple of good restautants in Kino Nuevo. It's a very quiet town, except at Semana Santa !!

Last edited:

kanvery

Holy crap! Thanks for the info Roberto and Kenny. I really haven't seen Kino Bay from that angle and I didn't know a lot of that information. I'll be there for 3 months so I'll be able to explore a bit. I will be in Kino Nuevo but I'll have my car so I can get around. Is a trip to Rocky Point worth it? Also, given what you guys know are kastmasters and trolling rapalas or rebels good enough?

Roberto

They had a faculty opening a couple of years ago and I tried to get my son Dr. Zach the herp guy to apply, but he likes the mountains of Alabama too much. That would be a real good gig.

Roberto

Holy crap! Thanks for the info Roberto and Kenny. I really haven't seen Kino Bay from that angle and I didn't know a lot of that information. I'll be there for 3 months so I'll be able to explore a bit. I will be in Kino Nuevo but I'll have my car so I can get around. Is a trip to Rocky Point worth it? Also, given what you guys know are kastmasters and trolling rapalas or rebels good enough?
De nada. I like Kino a lot. Kino Viejo, Old Kino, is the original Mexican fishing town and has more character than Kino Nuevo which is mostly a strip of beachhouses and a few restaurants. I always stayed in Kino Viejo.

It has been a long drive from Kino to Penasco. Not sure of the new coastal highway down that far. Used to have to go to Hermosillo, then Penasco through Caborca. 6-7 hours depending. Jerry might know the highway status down that far. I'd certainly go down to San Carlos, south a couple of hours maybe. You can also go to Guaymas without needing a car permit. It's very close to San Carlos. Huge port, deepest in all Mexico I heard. Come to Penasco only if you want a little higher level of activity, or Hermosillo for whatever you want.

Take a Saturday drive back the highway toward Hermosillo to the first little town, Miguel Alemon. The area is a big agriculture area with lots of remote farms and Sat the workers come into town to shop and visit. They are driven into town in a collection of vans and small busses, you'll see them parked everywhere. Lots of booths set up with stuff for sale and lots of good food. A fun day for sure, a real Mexican experience.

We used a bent pop top as a lure !! I'd bring a selection of stuff and not worry too much. That fishing shop has lures but I had the best luck with real funky looking junk lures from Walmart !! You will be able to get bait easily.

jerry

You can make but the old 2 lane is slow going..more potholes than roads..Truckers are sneaking up the coast that way to avoid what ever

naztpen

Boating & Fishing in Kino Bay Read this about fishing in Kino. A friend of mine just drove from Kino to Rocky Point last week and said the potholes were filled in recently. Ask the bartenders at the Casa Blanca if anyone is looking for fishing partners to help with gas expenses. Not much fishing in close for the large species. They catch small dorado and even sailfish but you have to get out there on a boat.

How far south of Puerto Libertad does the actual new coastal highway extend before one encounters the old coastal road? Will a fwd minivan make it and arrive intact?

naztpen

Puerto Libertad is the end of the coastal highway for now. I have been to Kino Bay twice and have seen many cars go on this road. There is a section of about 30 miles that had a lot of potholes but a friend said they have been filled recently. Your van would make it easily if you are careful. We plan on a spring fishing trip the end of this month and will travel this route again.