Ejidos

dmcauley

Yeah, lifes a bitch. My wife paid her dues weekly for many years to be part of her ejido. The dues have been collected for petitioning the government, a lengthy process, for the rights to some ocean front land. This is a right that the locals of Sonora were given many, many years ago. After twenty years an American developer wants the land and the members got really excited but the developers don't feel they should pay. After all, these people are mostly poor any way, what do they need so much money for? The land is worth more now and the Mexicans are being unfair.
:mexico: :mexico: :mexico: :mexico: :mexico:

Roberto

From what I've seen, the members of the Ejido screw over each other more than by outsiders. I read that the Ejido was actually an idea used by the Aztecs.

Last edited:

JimMcG

Very interesting, and that could be the problem with buying an Ejido property.

"Ejidatarios did not actually own the land, but were allowed to use their alloted parcels indefinitely as long as they did not fail to use the land for more than two years. They could even pass their rights on to their children."

Something like trying to buy land from an Indian in and Indian reservation. They have the rights to the land but never actually own it.
http://www.mexicocb.com/pages-What-is-Ejido-Property

Apparently, it can be done if all the requirements are met.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Half of Rocky Point was or still is an ejido Mayan Palace, Laguna Shores all of black mountain. The ejido San Rafael is in the city. Ejido Miramar. Ejido Lagrimas is now a big part of the city with 1000 house built in last coupleyears. Once they have been privatized and titles issued they are no longer ejidos they are private property. The danger for a foreiner is before titles are issued there can be no bank trust hence the need to be put into a nationals name or prestanombre as they call them in Mexico. Which the government frowns on because they look at it as if the foreinger and prestanombre are trying to circumvent federal laws about foreign ownership. I f you tell a notory in Puerto Penasco what you are doing he probably will throw you out of his office. THE EJIDO IS NOT THE PROBLEM the law is the law and when foreigners try to take shortcuts thats when they have problems. I work in Las Conchas, Mirador, Ejido Lagrimas and Ejido Lopez Aceves the only 2 places I dont have problems is in the ejidos as Roberto can testify to if he wants to. For me its a special feeling almost an honor to be allowed to work in the ejidos.

Last edited:

Mentiras y Traición

Sonoran Goddess
"A foreigner purchases Ejido property by placing the Ejido title to the land in the name of a trusted friend or relative who is Mexican, called a "Prestanombre" (translation: borrowed name), who then becomes a member of the Ejido, relying on the "hope" that when, or if, the land is regularized, ownership can be converted to a fideicomiso (bank trust) in their own name."

Yea, good luck with finding a "trusted friend or relative who is Mexican"...our dad tried that, then our mom...see Francisco Hernandez Mandujano and the Blair Family to see how that turned out.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
"A foreigner purchases Ejido property by placing the Ejido title to the land in the name of a trusted friend or relative who is Mexican, called a "Prestanombre" (translation: borrowed name), who then becomes a member of the Ejido, relying on the "hope" that when, or if, the land is regularized, ownership can be converted to a fideicomiso (bank trust) in their own name."

Yea, good luck with finding a "trusted friend or relative who is Mexican"...our dad tried that, then our mom...see Francisco Hernandez Mandujano and the Blair Family to see how that turned out.
You would be shocked how many americans use prestanombres apart from being illegal if the prestanombre dies now you have to fight his heirs, so even if the prestanombre had good intentions his widow or children may not be to cooperative.

JimMcG

I was only offering some information and not necessarily recommending buying in an ejido, although reportedly some have been processed successfully.

Also it is not unheard of for some shirt tail ejido member to show up later claiming that he/she never agreed to the conversion.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I was only offering some information and not necessarily recommending buying in an ejido, although reportedly some have been processed successfully.

Also it is not unheard of for some shirt tail ejido member to show up later claiming that he/she never agreed to the conversion.
Thats why every ejido member and sometimes their children must sign off. Then it must be posted whever they have their meetings for 30 days as they also have 1st right of refusal.

MIRAMAR

The houses on the beach of Playa Miramar by the Mayan (which were previously owned by Ejido Miramar) are privately owned by Americans, Mexicans and Canadians w/ bank trusts since 2005. Ejido Miramar still owns a lot of land by the airport.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
when a person buys a peice of land that was but is not anymore ejido land they are getting the cleanest titles in the world. they are brand new no history , no liens, no litigations. Just a couple of pages that state ownership not one negative post at the city registry. Its when they get into peoples hands that the problems begin. But if done right they are the cleanest titles and can stay that way. Every problem I have ever heard of in Mexico something was done wrong by the buyer and that includes the buyers in North Beach. A new title is like buying a new car you know what you got and if you take care of it it will last a long time.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I remember years ago americans telling me they had 99 year leases on their properties in Mexico but even those are or were illegal. No lease in Mexico can go longer than 10 years and the federal government looks at them as a way for foreigners to circumvent federal land laws.

Last edited:

JimMcG

I remember years ago americans telling me they had 99 year leases on their properties in Mexico but even those are or were illegal. No lease in Mexico can go longer than 10 years and the federal government looks at them as a way for foreigners to circumvent federal land laws.
Conversely and in fairness, there are cases where "subdivisions" wherein lots and homes which were aquired on leases, bills of sale and various non trust like documents, eventually received their trusts.

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
Conversely and in fairness, there are cases where "subdivisions" wherein lots and homes which were aquired on leases, bills of sale and various non trust like documents, eventually received their trusts.
Absolutley they did, not everybody In Penasco is a crook . I would say way more worked out in the favor of the buyer than not. probably close to 100%(except Cholla and even some of that wasn't Gus's fault) before the outsiders came in. The people in Penasco were mostley poor simple people that had no idea how to screw somebody, they had to get educated that way.There are still alot of noble people in Penasco and most of the crooks have gone back to where they came from both american and mexican. Good riddance to them.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
In Cholla Bay,American's who had held lease agreements built and did many other improvments on "their" property were "evicted" when the owner decided not to renew the lease agreements.The property owner was entirly within his rights but in the Az. papers it was reported that the mexican govt. had taken away their properties. I know there are trusts on homes and lots in Cholla but I dont know about a master trust. (Same thing happened to my grandparents on the Fort Apache Indian Reservation they lost "their" cabin when the Apaches didn"t want to renew ridiculously cheap leases) Why would anybody build on leased land?

Last edited:
lagrimas85
Thanks, I had heard about that but I am still trying to get my property seperated from the master trust. They just tell be that it is hung up with the Notory.

Rick
Cholla Bay