El Dia de los Muertos

Landshark

[FONT=&quot]I am trying to understand the Mexican culture, and found this explanation of Dia de los Muertos. It helped me put things into perspective. Going to the Guadalupe Cemetery in Tempe tomorrow evening with Mexican friends to see it firsthand.

On November 1[SUP]st[/SUP] and 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mexico[/FONT][FONT=&quot] celebrates El Día de los Muertos. From pre Columbian times, the Day of the Dead has been celebrated in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Mexico[/FONT][FONT=&quot] and other Latin countries. This is a very special ritual, since it is the day in which the living remember their departed relatives. Sometimes, when people of other cultures hear for the first time about the celebration of the Day of the Dead, they mistakenly think it must be gruesome, terrifying, and sad. Nothing could be further from the truth. The Day of the Dead is a beautiful ritual in which Mexicans happily and lovingly remember their loved relatives that have died. Along with other celebrations, they visit cemeteries, decorate the graves, and spend time there while in the presence of their deceased friends and family members.[/FONT]

It's all about remembering loved ones, prepare the meals they liked, Eating "Pan de Muertos" and decorating the graves with cempazuchitl flowers. Is nothing gruesome, terrifying, sad or similar to halloween. Good post.

Roberto

As it has been described to me, the celebration is not one day only. Different days for different relatives and also how a person passed. Nothing like the US Halloween.

Landshark

As it has been described to me, the celebration is not one day only. Different days for different relatives and also how a person passed. Nothing like the US Halloween.
From what I read so far it is a very complex celebration of life, death, and afterlife. Will probably never fully understand it, but I am gaining appreciation & respect of the Mexican beliefs.

Beautiful experience today. We went up a narrow dirt road overgrown with greenery; trees, bushes, wisps and stalks and leaves, to the little cemetery for our small town of Playa Ventura. Others had been walking up, their arms filled with flowers so we had them jump in the truck and up the hill we went.

The town was there, caring for their loved ones; putting fresh flowers ofbeautiful colors everywhere, pulling weeds and picking up nature's debris. Guitars and an accordion played, songs were sung. They came today for El Dia de Muertos, not scary or even sad, but a celebration of their loved ones. People took care of their family plots, then came together in one area for a special mass. They sang and prayed, the padre spoke of love, it was such a gift to be able to be a part of it.

After the mass there was food. I have come to know that every celebration here is Mexico has food! I am very grateful to have been there to share their day, our townspeople are beautiful, loving and kind. My neighbors....