**** El Gitano ****

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
.fullpost{display:inline;}

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

After a little more than six-weeks off, traveling about Mexico and the USA enjoying a long overdue vacation, I decided that upon my return to PP and writing for this blog I’d kick the new year off with a harangue that is, IMHO, something that needs to be openly discussed.

You see, as much as I truly love this nation, the people, their history, culture, this community, the food (and sauces), the beer, etc., I realized while I was on my ‘walk-about’ that there had been a major fraud perpetrated against the citizens of Puerto Peñasco and it mostly came from a select group of the ‘beautiful-people’ north of our border, specifically, ‘some’ Arizonans (and ‘some’ PP locals too).

For those new to this blog, to Puerto Peñasco (and indeed Mexico), the fact of the matter is that Phoenicians have been having ‘their way’ with PP for a very long time. Going back as far as I can remember (a couple decades) many Arizonans have been traveling down here for years, pretty much doing as they pleased, and throughout that era they also began snagging up property for centavos on the peso.

That’s fine, but for most the primary objective was to build their little casita(s) so they had a place to ‘play’ on weekends and holidays, etc. They never had any retirement and/or other long term living/business aspirations and only thought of Peñasco as their play-ground to be used ‘at-will’ with plans some day too ultimately dump their property and this community when it was convenient…

And that is the way it was for years until post 9/11. It was that event that turned this “quaint little fishing village” with its ‘drive-to’ feature from AZ into sort of a gold rush. Developers and real estate sharks began pouring southbound across the border, reminiscent of the scene in the 1987 Cheech Marin comedy movie “Born in East L.A.” when thousands of Mexicans were fixin' to rush the border northbound…

Next came the "land-speculators" who also started pouring in, but the ones I’m talking about are not the "high-roller" types but (mostly) Phoenicians (aka: middle to upper class incomes) who were being sold by mostly Gringo real estate gurus who also came down for the quick buck and were ‘pitching’ Puerto Peñasco as (e.g.) "the next Cabo. Buy today, sell tomorrow and make a fortune…"

There were even real estate brokers and reps who held sales-seminars up in the greater Phoenix area; buyers-fever (aka: greed) flourished, and before you knew it even the waitress at a local AZ Denny’s and her husband (with only a part time job) were trying to get in on the action.

Back in 2004-2005 I and others warned that the price increases, demand, etc. were not sustainable and that a crash was soon inevitable. But there was no shortage of developers, real estate folks and owners telling us that we were wrong and many of us were scorned for even suggesting such ‘nonsense’. Had 'they' had a chance they might have even enjoyed burning us at the stake!

After the Big Bang (the crash) hit and the last of the lingering pump and thumping leaches starting leaving town, most every one else finally realized the ‘ride’ was over-- including mi amigo Paco, who sadly had to acknowledge that his sweltering little 850 square foot casa wasn’t going to bring him $400,000 (USD) cash. Ultimately PP was abandoned by the carpetbaggers and left to fend for itself.

Of course it wasn’t just the developers and real estate parasites who were to blame, as they had an awful lot of help from certain "commissions" on both sides of the border, including newspapers and other predominate "authorities" with vested interests in the area who constantly released, IMO, ridiculous press releases and/or comments, assertions and statements such as (e.g.) "Rocky Point has over 3 Million tourist per year".

And so here we are in 2010 with many survivors clinging on with visions of sugar-plums dancing in their heads and, like children, oh so hopeful that when they awake from their long sleep things will return to ‘the good old days’. That is what I fear the most, that ‘they’ and their enablers will strive to return to ‘business as normal’ and ignore the potential future for Puerto Peñasco.

I say I fear that because right now, all across Mexico, real estate developers and businesses are gearing up for the economic rebound that is being forecast for Mexico by many professionals. The smart money seems to be on those ‘players’ who understand the causes and effects of the recent financial calamity and who, in part, will adjust their products, costs and marketing practices, etc., to a cautious but eager, enthusiastic and soon to be booming market.

This rebound includes a scramble for tourist and retiree dollars, too, but I can’t shake this feeling that once again most developers, businesses, new real estate sales agents and property owners here in Peñasco will continue to sit back on their laurels ‘thinking’ the bucks will start pouring into PP as if it were 2005 and once again they’ll ‘jack’ up the prices and tell anyone who’ll listen that PP "is destined to be the next Cabo and/or Vallarta…"

Take for example rental properties in Puerto Peñasco Vs. more popular destinations in Mexico, such as this place (one of many) I found three weeks ago for about $900 (USD) a month in Mazatlan:
“Beautiful 3 year old fully furnished home, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathroom… 4 minute walk to a great beach, walk to the park, restaurants, pubs, shops...

“Comes with fridge / freezer, washer / dryer, stove, dishwasher, A/C… and private parking for two cars. The house has a large tiled patio complete with deck chairs and outdoor furniture...”​
Here in Peñasco that same home, in a region sorely lacking the activities and amenities that Mazatlan offers (including Opera, numerous out-door cafés, great hospitals, movie theaters, night-clubs [real ones], Wal-Mart, major brand grocery stores, fine tailors and jewelers, pulmonias [open air taxis], countless beach front restaurants, etc.) would have an asking rental price of about $3,000 (dollars) a week (or month) if not more!

What most of these property-owners in PP don’t get is that places like Mazatlan, Ensenada, San Miguel de Allende, Puerto Vallarta, the Los Cabos area, etc. enjoy regional amenities 10 fold of what RP has to offer. These other regions also have developed very fine Expat communities over the years, and like it or not for many Gringo retirees, etc., that, too, is an attribute that PP cannot yet match.

Sometimes I don’t really know who to blame for many of the shortsighted, greedy and slothful so called ‘players’ here but an age old math illustration seems to describe them to a tee: If they were offered $1,000,000 (cash) today for their casita or a penny today and then double that amount each and every day for the next thirty days, they’d arrogantly and ignorantly snatch up the million today.

And as for that worn out Arizona ‘drive-to’ shtick thumped by many Gringo (and local) property owners, realtors, etc. (mostly from the 48th US State), forget about it!

First of all, that mostly only applies to buyers from Arizona and, OMG, for the difference in this rental example (Mazatlan home vs. a PP home) the savings alone would be about $2,100 (dollars) each and every month...

And with those extra pesos, amigos, if you needed or wanted to visit ‘North’ (for any reason) you’d be sipping Champagne and flying first-class, and do so often, from Mazatlan (and many other places in Mexico too) in about the same amount of time it takes to drive from PP to Phoenix!

Whether or not a new form of the “Puerto Peñasco Land Swindle” takes hold as more Phoenicians begin retuning and continue to ‘eat their own’ is yet to be determined.

But If Daniel Chavez and the gang get that airport fully operational and start bringing daily flights in filled with tourist and business folks from all around the USA, Canada and Mexico, most of whom have been to other parts of Mexico, then I’d bet the farm that after they sit through the Peñasco sales pitch they’ll mostly respond, briefly and with a little sneer on their faces, “Gracias, pero no gracias”!

¡Viva México y Puerto Peñasco!

[email protected]

.fullpost{display:inline;}

-by El Gitano Peñasco, "The Peñasco Gypsy"

After a little more than six-weeks off, traveling about Mexico and the USA enjoying a long overdue vacation, I decided that upon my return to PP and writing for this blog I’d kick the new year off with a harangue that is, IMHO, something that needs to be openly discussed.

You see, as much as I truly love this nation, the people, their history, culture, this community, the food (and sauces), the beer, etc., I realized while I was on my ‘walk-about’ that there had been a major fraud perpetrated against the citizens of Puerto Peñasco and it mostly came from a select group of the ‘beautiful-people’ north of our border, specifically, ‘some’ Arizonans (and ‘some’ PP locals too).

For those new to this blog, to Puerto Peñasco (and indeed Mexico), the fact of the matter is that Phoenicians have been having ‘their way’ with PP for a very long time. Going back as far as I can remember (a couple decades) many Arizonans have been traveling down here for years, pretty much doing as they pleased, and throughout that era they also began snagging up property for centavos on the peso.

That’s fine, but for most the primary objective was to build their little casita(s) so they had a place to ‘play’ on weekends and holidays, etc. They never had any retirement and/or other long term living/business aspirations and only thought of Peñasco as their play-ground to be used ‘at-will’ with plans some day too ultimately dump their property and this community when it was convenient…

And that is the way it was for years until post 9/11. It was that event that turned this “quaint little fishing village” with its ‘drive-to’ feature from AZ into sort of a gold rush. Developers and real estate sharks began pouring southbound across the border, reminiscent of the scene in the 1987 Cheech Marin comedy movie “Born in East L.A.” when thousands of Mexicans were fixin' to rush the border northbound…

Next came the "land-speculators" who also started pouring in, but the ones I’m talking about are not the "high-roller" types but (mostly) Phoenicians (aka: middle to upper class incomes) who were being sold by mostly Gringo real estate gurus who also came down for the quick buck and were ‘pitching’ Puerto Peñasco as (e.g.) "the next Cabo. Buy today, sell tomorrow and make a fortune…"

There were even real estate brokers and reps who held sales-seminars up in the greater Phoenix area; buyers-fever (aka: greed) flourished, and before you knew it even the waitress at a local AZ Denny’s and her husband (with only a part time job) were trying to get in on the action.

Back in 2004-2005 I and others warned that the price increases, demand, etc. were not sustainable and that a crash was soon inevitable. But there was no shortage of developers, real estate folks and owners telling us that we were wrong and many of us were scorned for even suggesting such ‘nonsense’. Had 'they' had a chance they might have even enjoyed burning us at the stake!

After the Big Bang (the crash) hit and the last of the lingering pump and thumping leaches starting leaving town, most every one else finally realized the ‘ride’ was over-- including mi amigo Paco, who sadly had to acknowledge that his sweltering little 850 square foot casa wasn’t going to bring him $400,000 (USD) cash. Ultimately PP was abandoned by the carpetbaggers and left to fend for itself.

Of course it wasn’t just the developers and real estate parasites who were to blame, as they had an awful lot of help from certain "commissions" on both sides of the border, including newspapers and other predominate "authorities" with vested interests in the area who constantly released, IMO, ridiculous press releases and/or comments, assertions and statements such as (e.g.) "Rocky Point has over 3 Million tourist per year".

And so here we are in 2010 with many survivors clinging on with visions of sugar-plums dancing in their heads and, like children, oh so hopeful that when they awake from their long sleep things will return to ‘the good old days’. That is what I fear the most, that ‘they’ and their enablers will strive to return to ‘business as normal’ and ignore the potential future for Puerto Peñasco.

I say I fear that because right now, all across Mexico, real estate developers and businesses are gearing up for the economic rebound that is being forecast for Mexico by many professionals. The smart money seems to be on those ‘players’ who understand the causes and effects of the recent financial calamity and who, in part, will adjust their products, costs and marketing practices, etc., to a cautious but eager, enthusiastic and soon to be booming market.

This rebound includes a scramble for tourist and retiree dollars, too, but I can’t shake this feeling that once again most developers, businesses, new real estate sales agents and property owners here in Peñasco will continue to sit back on their laurels ‘thinking’ the bucks will start pouring into PP as if it were 2005 and once again they’ll ‘jack’ up the prices and tell anyone who’ll listen that PP "is destined to be the next Cabo and/or Vallarta…"

Take for example rental properties in Puerto Peñasco Vs. more popular destinations in Mexico, such as this place (one of many) I found three weeks ago for about $900 (USD) a month in Mazatlan:
“Beautiful 3 year old fully furnished home, 4 bedrooms, 3.5 bathroom… 4 minute walk to a great beach, walk to the park, restaurants, pubs, shops...

“Comes with fridge / freezer, washer / dryer, stove, dishwasher, A/C… and private parking for two cars. The house has a large tiled patio complete with deck chairs and outdoor furniture...”​
Here in Peñasco that same home, in a region sorely lacking the activities and amenities that Mazatlan offers (including Opera, numerous out-door cafés, great hospitals, movie theaters, night-clubs [real ones], Wal-Mart, major brand grocery stores, fine tailors and jewelers, pulmonias [open air taxis], countless beach front restaurants, etc.) would have an asking rental price of about $3,000 (dollars) a week (or month) if not more!

What most of these property-owners in PP don’t get is that places like Mazatlan, Ensenada, San Miguel de Allende, Puerto Vallarta, the Los Cabos area, etc. enjoy regional amenities 10 fold of what RP has to offer. These other regions also have developed very fine Expat communities over the years, and like it or not for many Gringo retirees, etc., that, too, is an attribute that PP cannot yet match.

Sometimes I don’t really know who to blame for many of the shortsighted, greedy and slothful so called ‘players’ here but an age old math illustration seems to describe them to a tee: If they were offered $1,000,000 (cash) today for their casita or a penny today and then double that amount each and every day for the next thirty days, they’d arrogantly and ignorantly snatch up the million today.

And as for that worn out Arizona ‘drive-to’ shtick thumped by many Gringo (and local) property owners, realtors, etc. (mostly from the 48th US State), forget about it!

First of all, that mostly only applies to buyers from Arizona and, OMG, for the difference in this rental example (Mazatlan home vs. a PP home) the savings alone would be about $2,100 (dollars) each and every month...

And with those extra pesos, amigos, if you needed or wanted to visit ‘North’ (for any reason) you’d be sipping Champagne and flying first-class, and do so often, from Mazatlan (and many other places in Mexico too) in about the same amount of time it takes to drive from PP to Phoenix!

Whether or not a new form of the “Puerto Peñasco Land Swindle” takes hold as more Phoenicians begin retuning and continue to ‘eat their own’ is yet to be determined.

But If Daniel Chavez and the gang get that airport fully operational and start bringing daily flights in filled with tourist and business folks from all around the USA, Canada and Mexico, most of whom have been to other parts of Mexico, then I’d bet the farm that after they sit through the Peñasco sales pitch they’ll mostly respond, briefly and with a little sneer on their faces, “Gracias, pero no gracias”!

¡Viva México y Puerto Peñasco!

[email protected]
I really am looking forward to the response from those "pump and thumping leaches" that still remain in Penasco!!!:rofl::rofl:Let the games begin!!

Kenny

More than a few of us have been saying that very same thing, and for a very long time. But very few of us have said it that well.

Last edited:

Brad47

How is what happened in Penasco any different then what happened across the USA, other then it was in Mexico.

Roberto

NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO BUY!.... my house
No. no. no. Buy MY house, it's closer to AZ !!

A problem I have with this opinion piece is that it describes the buyers as victims, completely empty headed , dumbass fools led by shrewd, evil, crooked developers and slick real estate knuckle heads into impossible deals. The opinions are artfully smeared with some obvious facts, but overall it reads like a piece that is designed only to convince the reader that the writer knows more than the reader. Replete with hyperbole, opinion and some distortion of fact to make the point "I knew it all along but you fools didn't listen to me". Not very useful, not very productive. To me it's the flip side of the sales tactics that are complained about.

Last edited:

Kenny

You are absolutely right Roberto!

A problem I have with this opinion piece is that it describes the buyers as victims, completely empty headed , dumbass fools led by shrewd, evil, crooked developers and slick real estate knuckle heads into impossible deals.
You are absolutely right Roberto!... They led highly intelligent dumbass fools into impossible deals, not just the "completely empty headed" ones, and since when is a opinion a negative, that's just what you gave, isn't it?
As far as your statement "Not very useful, not very productive." Show me one that has been about the market in a very long time :stir: and post one if you can.
Seriously though, and taking into account your critique Roberto, I still give it a
The thought that was put into it was refreshing. It's these one line responses posed as a question that I find "Not very useful, not very productive."
Myself I hear hyperbole all the time, it's the language of a lot of fisherman. Maybe he's a fisherman?:-D

Roberto my friend, I hope this is what you were looking for, I did my best.

Last edited:
Hey guys, how about linking that article back to its source, huh? It's possible that not all RP Talk's readers know that The Gypsy writes for RP Tides. :wink: ( http://rptides.blogspot.com )

Now, I won't speak for El Gitano, but starting along about 2005 or so I and at least a couple of others on the old board did post warnings and tried to discuss the real estate bubble, the unsustainability of rising prices in PP and the threat of a financial meltdown in the USA. I myself posted links to sources to back up my assertions, but it all went nowhere. For the most part my warnings were poo-pooed (is that a word?) and at least once I was attacked as being ignorant and trying to scare everyone. It was the same thing in every place in the USA: "Well, it won't happen HERE because...(fill in the reason du jour)". I finally gave up.
:deadhorse:

Of course no one who has mortgaged their home or gone deeply into debt to buy real estate in a place like PP wants to hear that they may have made a mistake, but really by the time waitresses and mechanics are jumping on the bandwagon because real estate agents are pushing condos and homes as investments that will pay off big (and generally the re agents actually believed it, too), well it shouldn't be too much of a stretch at that point to know that something's wrong. There's an old saying about investing, something to the effect that when the dentists and doctors start pouring their money in it's time to sell. :-D

Just sayin'...

Thanks, Cabo.

Huerita is a diminutive of Huera (or Guera), which loosely means white or light skinned female (sometimes used as a pejorative). In my case, it was a way for my friends, both Mexican and gringo, to call me "Little Blondie" without me punching them in the nose for it. I guess I should note that, being of Swedish extraction, I'm so white I glow in the dark. Ya better wear shades. :p

Roberto

Kenny Sez;
and since when is a opinion a negative, that's just what you gave, isn't it?

Now, now Kenny, I've grown to be like another (or two) unnamed participants here, if I say it it's not an opinion, it's a FACT !!! LOL

Still not exactly sure what set me off about that piece!!:stir:

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Thanks, Cabo.

Huerita is a diminutive of Huera (or Guera), which loosely means white or light skinned female (sometimes used as a pejorative). In my case, it was a way for my friends, both Mexican and gringo, to call me "Little Blondie" without me punching them in the nose for it. I guess I should note that, being of Swedish extraction, I'm so white I glow in the dark. Ya better wear shades. :p
Learn something new every day.

Is that spanish?

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Mona

Mirlo

Native language: Español, Panamá/ USA

Re: huerra
"Güera" is the word and you are right is "blondie".

Saludos,

Well , all I can say is we weren't looking for a fast buck. We bought because we loved the place and wanted to spend time there with our kids. We never intended on selling to make a lot of money and we own our place outright.
We also don't rent out ( NOT that there is anything wrong with that).

We aren't stupid, we bought what we could afford and we go down frequently. I guess we contributed to the problem though, right?

dmcauley

Guero or Guera does mean "blondie, or light skinned" and is used in an endearing manner. Huerita is one way to spell it in a nation that has a phonetic language.
A lot of us knew this housing bubble was going to burst but there also are some of us whom have purchased wisely and can offer the same or almost the same home at a reasonable price. I have a home w/ 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a wet bar, 2 patios downstairs and a huge patio upstairs with a westerly view, just two or three minutes walk to Tucson beach or fifty feet back from ocean for only 1300.oo a month. I don't think this is outrageous and it is close to home.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
..... ita "eetah" is loving add to anything

an "ita" after anything is a cutey... pie, a miniaturization, a doll, but

a "Huerra" is not a pretty name... ?

It is verb... "una huerra"

Kenny

So we can just call you Caboita then?
A little levity can go a long way's, some time's.

Besides meaning what you said, "ita/ito" also means small or little. For instance, "cerro" means mountain or hill; "cerrito" means little hill (or mountain).

Huerra/Guera can be used simply to indicate someone as light skinned or blonde, or it can be used as a sign of contempt or to put someone down. It depends on who says it and how it's intended. By putting the "ita" at the end my friends made sure I understood they meant it affectionately. And I dropped a letter "r" from it because I still can't roll my "rrrrrrrrrr's". :mrgreen:

It is a noun or pronoun (I still get confused about pronouns), not a verb.

Last edited: