EL Golfo (the humid armpit of the Vermillion sea)

Old55

Well Known Member
Good take from a person with knowledge and kinship to the place....science is fun....https://mexiconewsdaily.com/opinion/el-golfo-de-santa-clara-and-the-seaside-gold-rush/

Jungle Jim

Well Known Member
Thanks Broken........

"I'd like to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye". He's so full of shit he can't see straight if at all. Maybe oughta take a look at the real history of not only the USA but Mexico kicking some Spanish butt back in the day. And by the way, the USA legally paid Mexico for the Gadsden Purchase.

Did a cruise thru El Golfo last Sunday afternoon on the way back home from PP to Yuma. There were nine commercial processing operations now there working 24/7 raking in this years estimated six million dollars worth of Brown Cannonball Jellyfish as well as tractor trailer trucks hauling the innocent slimy stinkers to Puerto Penasco and Mexicali for additional processing.

Talked with a young girl at the Pemex station in El Golfo whilst topping off my Jeep Wrangler for the expected four hour wait at the border. I asked her why the place stank so bad and what was up with the millions of black filthy death flies. She told me it was due to the "Medusa de Agua Mal" AKA Brown Cannonball Jellyfish. She was working part time at one of the processing plants at night and said they couldn't get enough workers and were even hiring the "imigrantes" to work.

She told me that she thought it was "wrong" for them to be killing so many of the medusa jellies because they clean up the "Agua Mal" ! Probably some scientific fact to that statement.

As we came up on the big barranca North of town the highway was strewn with thousands of the jellies that had sloshed overboard from the open trailers on the way North. What a traffic hazard that was. Imagine coming over the ridge and hitting a few thousand pounds of brown slime on the road then veering off into a hundred foot plus drop off.

Later,

JJ

Old55

Well Known Member
Good old China....makes you not want to buy anything ( or sell) made there....If you like hobies and camping you gotta love el golfo despite all this mess

Old55

Well Known Member
Thanks Broken........

"I'd like to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye". He's so full of shit he can't see straight if at all. Maybe oughta take a look at the real history of not only the USA but Mexico kicking some Spanish butt back in the day. And by the way, the USA legally paid Mexico for the Gadsden Purchase.

Did a cruise thru El Golfo last Sunday afternoon on the way back home from PP to Yuma. There were nine commercial processing operations now there working 24/7 raking in this years estimated six million dollars worth of Brown Cannonball Jellyfish as well as tractor trailer trucks hauling the innocent slimy stinkers to Puerto Penasco and Mexicali for additional processing.

Talked with a young girl at the Pemex station in El Golfo whilst topping off my Jeep Wrangler for the expected four hour wait at the border. I asked her why the place stank so bad and what was up with the millions of black filthy death flies. She told me it was due to the "Medusa de Agua Mal" AKA Brown Cannonball Jellyfish. She was working part time at one of the processing plants at night and said they couldn't get enough workers and were even hiring the "imigrantes" to work.

She told me that she thought it was "wrong" for them to be killing so many of the medusa jellies because they clean up the "Agua Mal" ! Probably some scientific fact to that statement.

As we came up on the big barranca North of town the highway was strewn with thousands of the jellies that had sloshed overboard from the open trailers on the way North. What a traffic hazard that was. Imagine coming over the ridge and hitting a few thousand pounds of brown slime on the road then veering off into a hundred foot plus drop off.

Later,

JJ
https://www.imagenradio.com.mx/estudia-ipn-golfo-de-california-por-calentamiento-del-oceans more science stuff for your consideration...we are heating up and catching less and smaller fish...

brokenwave

Well Known Member
Old55, the link is broken, error 404.
We've been seeing the fish population get smaller and fewer over the past 20 years I'm aware of.
I remember fishing neighbors in Cholla Bay going out and bringing back 4-6, 60-70lb+ groupers almost every trip.
The few fishing friends who still go out from Cholla now are missing out on the big fish and are settling for trigger and other
smaller fish with the occasional grouper most closer to 50lbs or yellowtail and a few sharks.
I ask them why and their reply is too many people fishing especially the commercial guys and the lack of CO river water
flowing into the Gulf of Cali.
I'm sure there are other reasons.

Old55

Well Known Member
Old55, the link is broken, error 404.
We've been seeing the fish population get smaller and fewer over the past 20 years I'm aware of.
I remember fishing neighbors in Cholla Bay going out and bringing back 4-6, 60-70lb+ groupers almost every trip.
The few fishing friends who still go out from Cholla now are missing out on the big fish and are settling for trigger and other
smaller fish with the occasional grouper most closer to 50lbs or yellowtail and a few sharks.
I ask them why and their reply is too many people fishing especially the commercial guys and the lack of CO river water
flowing into the Gulf of Cali.
I'm sure there are other reasons.
The colorado has been limited for a long time...it sure played a huge part but gotta think the trawlers and the sea temp thing....