Entry into Sonoyta

Abe Gonzalez

Does anyone know if they are allowing people into Mexico towing ATV's or side by sides? Not sure if they are still on essential traffic only.

playaperro

El Pirata
Pretty sure you'll be ok, we are waiting for reports on social media how things are going since the main cheese on here missed his ride, if you cross today can you report back how it went, should have no problems if you have reservation.

Roberto

Well Known Member
Yep, missed my ride but in a fit of pique, went ahead and drove myself to Sonoyta in a recently acquired vehicle. Got to the border no problems and realized I neglected to get day insurance since the trip was not planned to drive. Insurance office at the border would not sell day insurance for the US so I drove back to Penasco. At the sanitary barrier there were maybe 5 cars in line and 4 or so big rigs. None in the residents line as it was blocked. Lots of workers in all sorts of uniforms were mixing it up with the drivers checking paperwork and pointing where to go next. Vehicles squeezed into one line and had to fight the big rigs for a place in line. Big rigs were blocking the residents line. Driver in front of me, 4 back from the front of the line hopped out , ran to the shower, through the shower, back to her car, cut in front of the cars in front of her and waved and drove away! She had done this before!

I presented a copy of first pages of my BankTrust, copy of CFE bill, copy of Tax bill and US Passport opened to the photo . Inspector inquired where I had been. Told him Sonoyta, no mas. He flipped through the pages of what I gave him and pointed ahead. No questions about reservations. Documentation of ownership with personal ID seemed to satisfy him. Got to the next inspector who did pretty much the same. Line was disorganized, down to one line due to the big rigs, but moving. Third group of inspectors looked at the paperwork and told me to turn off the vehicle and walk through the shower. Told him I needed to let it running as it would not start again. At this point I was at the head of the converging lines blocking everyone. He motioned to go so I jumped out and limped to the shower, got shot with the thermometer, sloshed my hands, sprayed in the shower and limped back to my vehicle. The inspector waved me on and I drove off. A bit crazy confusing at the end but everyone seemed to want to keep things moving and they did. It was kind of festive at the end. Just needed some free popcorn and a band. I did not see any cheese.
So, I did not present a resident card, don't have one. No Tourist Visa either. Flashed, copies of first pages of the Bank Trust, US Passport, CFE bill, Tax bill and a $50 bill , NO not true no $50 bill!!! I highlighted my name on each document and they did look carefully at the name repeated on all the documents. They all seemed interested to know I had not passed through the border at Sonoyta or came from Arizona. I was not required to take the resident line as it was blocked by the big rigs.

No big equipment in evidence at this juncture. A frame wrapped in vinyl. Lots of inspectors, all friendly and helpful. Things are moving along but it was not crowded at around 10AM this morning.

girlfran

Yep, missed my ride but in a fit of pique, went ahead and drove myself to Sonoyta in a recently acquired vehicle. Got to the border no problems and realized I neglected to get day insurance since the trip was not planned to drive. Insurance office at the border would not sell day insurance for the US so I drove back to Penasco. At the sanitary barrier there were maybe 5 cars in line and 4 or so big rigs. None in the residents line as it was blocked. Lots of workers in all sorts of uniforms were mixing it up with the drivers checking paperwork and pointing where to go next. Vehicles squeezed into one line and had to fight the big rigs for a place in line. Big rigs were blocking the residents line. Driver in front of me, 4 back from the front of the line hopped out , ran to the shower, through the shower, back to her car, cut in front of the cars in front of her and waved and drove away! She had done this before!

I presented a copy of first pages of my BankTrust, copy of CFE bill, copy of Tax bill and US Passport opened to the photo . Inspector inquired where I had been. Told him Sonoyta, no mas. He flipped through the pages of what I gave him and pointed ahead. No questions about reservations. Documentation of ownership with personal ID seemed to satisfy him. Got to the next inspector who did pretty much the same. Line was disorganized, down to one line due to the big rigs, but moving. Third group of inspectors looked at the paperwork and told me to turn off the vehicle and walk through the shower. Told him I needed to let it running as it would not start again. At this point I was at the head of the converging lines blocking everyone. He motioned to go so I jumped out and limped to the shower, got shot with the thermometer, sloshed my hands, sprayed in the shower and limped back to my vehicle. The inspector waved me on and I drove off. A bit crazy confusing at the end but everyone seemed to want to keep things moving and they did. It was kind of festive at the end. Just needed some free popcorn and a band. I did not see any cheese.
So, I did not present a resident card, don't have one. No Tourist Visa either. Flashed, copies of first pages of the Bank Trust, US Passport, CFE bill, Tax bill and a $50 bill , NO not true no $50 bill!!! I highlighted my name on each document and they did look carefully at the name repeated on all the documents. They all seemed interested to know I had not passed through the border at Sonoyta or came from Arizona. I was not required to take the resident line as it was blocked by the big rigs.

No big equipment in evidence at this juncture. A frame wrapped in vinyl. Lots of inspectors, all friendly and helpful. Things are moving along but it was not crowded at around 10AM this morning.
Never been asked for my insurance info either coming or going through the border any portal. Is this new?

richwi

Well Known Member
We came in on Friday. We own a home here but we do not have permanent resident cards yet. At the border they were stopping every car for a quick check. They did not ask for a passport or CFE bill etc. For the first time in a long time they asked to see the rabies cert for our dog. The whole thing was quick and easy.

richwi

Well Known Member
Quick PS. We have never been asked for car insurance and we have been coming down since 1979. We were not asked on this trip either. We have an annual policy.

Roberto

Well Known Member
If you are talking about Mex. auto insurance it is my understanding that it is NOT required to have a policy. But if you have an accident you must be able to pay on the spot for repairs if you are responsible. Otherwise your vehicle is impounded for a period until you are able to pay. It is cheap and foolish not to have at least a driver's license policy.

RP Life

Well Known Member
This is making my head hurt....lol

So short recap:

Roberto said: Got to the border no problems and realized I neglected to get day insurance since the trip was not planned to drive. Insurance office at the border would not sell day insurance for the US so I drove back to Penasco.

Then Girlfran said: Never been asked for my insurance info either coming or going through the border any portal. Is this new?

Roberto was just trying to get US Insurance to be covered if something happened while driving in the US for the day not Mexican Insurance for being covered while driving in Mexico.

The End.

I hope this saves Roberto from having to explain this over and over and over.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
driving thru Sonora if they stop you they DO ask for proof of MX insurance, which it is mandatory for everybody driving in Mexico, Portugal Insurance under $100 USD for the year in my 06 Prius, so it is worth having it, and yes I have been asked in HMO and Kino and in between, although I do have to say that my sticker of "friends without borders" got me out of speeding tickets a few times and of course being 100% bilingual

MIRAMAR

Well Known Member
We drove down this morning and no request for Mx insurance. Going back to Tucson, that newer Xray machine took 10 minutes to get through. I told them you're going to be backing up traffic if it gets busy. He said "we're trying to get the kinks out".

We never had a problem with the old one like the new one