Favorite (Insider's Edition) Penasco Happy Hours

I realize happy hour specials come and go, but a lot of us infrequent visitors don't have the time to jump from restaurant to bar to each corner of Penasco (as small as it may be) in search of the best bang for our boozin' buck, so I was wondering if some of you locals could help out w/ your favorite happy hour spots. Approximate times (and days of the week) would help, as would whatever specials you prefer. (And directions would be nice! ;) )**Bonus points for the earliest find--it's 5:00 somewhere!**

Not to knock those on the board who are especially good at self-promotion (you know who you are, haha), but it'd be nice to hear about some of the lesser-known Penasco joints, especially those running specials on the weekends.

One of my favorite recent finds during the slow periods of last summer was the new Portofino location on the Malecon, where they were running extremely cheap (10 pesos/pint, I believe) specials on Bohemia drafts from 2-5pm--on a Sunday!

So don't be greedy, people--spread the wealth of your knowledge. We promise not to overrun your secret spot. ;)

playaperro

El Pirata
My # 1 is Playa Bonita they have the Dollar beers and Marg...right on the ocean...
Kind of a family place!!!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
not yet but there is always a first time, you mean the breakfast menu?
Gringo zona I'm not 100% sure but most places have thier happy hours starting at 2 or 3 pm and ending at 6 or 7pm, sorry I can not be more specific, I drink at home or on the beach, rarely I go to bars, for me is more of a beach thing!!

Last edited:
We had breakfast at Playa Bonita when we were down over Christmas weekend. I wanted to try the buffet, but after looking at it we decided to order off the menu. There wasn't anything wrong with the buffet, it just didn't have anything that really appealed to us that morning. For the life of me, I can't remember exactly what I had................but it must have been okay, otherwise I would remember everything about it. My husband had the french toast, which was good but a little heavy on the cinnamon. (I can't get him to eat the good stuff like chorizo and machaca with eggs, but he does love his tacos so it's all good!!) The overall breakfast experience was nice. I love Playa Bonita because of the outside setting. However, we've had very up and down food there over the past ten years. But I guess that is to be expected.............management and staff come and go just like anywhere else.