Feb. trip - GREAT !

jaime grande

Our Love Shack
Well we came down for our monthly visit to our "love shack" at the Reef. Weather was great ! calm, warm and even with the little morning rain on wed. all we can say is GREAT ! All the roads where in good shape from the storm a couple of weeks ago. No damage to our place other than dust and sand on everything. No trouble on the highway. Alot of traffic and we came down on Sun. night. We didn't see any cops in Sonoita or the road down. I was on my toes though, when ever a car or truck came up on me fast. ( I brought 2 fire extingiushers that I thought would , when deployed , lay a big cloud of yellow dust that would throw any bad guys off their game.) We did here that alot of the Canadians were afraid to cross so the are holed up in little groups from Phoenix down to Why. All in all we had a ,did I say GREAT, time....

Bob Oso

Thanks for the report Jamie. The wife, another couple and I are heading down Wesnesday after work, probably crossing the border 9:00pm +/-. Its good to hear you had no troubles, and gives us a little more peace of mind that things should be fine.

In fact we were playing out different scenerios last night of what we'd do if we had a vehicle come on us as you mentioned, and even thought maybe of waitng til Thursday morning. Now, no way! We're sticking to the plan, and we're not going to let the fear of the unknown start dictating our schedule. Thanks again Jamie, needed that.

Thanks for the report Jamie. The wife, another couple and I are heading down Wesnesday after work, probably crossing the border 9:00pm +/-. Its good to hear you had no troubles, and gives us a little more peace of mind that things should be fine.

In fact we were playing out different scenerios last night of what we'd do if we had a vehicle come on us as you mentioned, and even thought maybe of waitng til Thursday morning. Now, no way! We're sticking to the plan, and we're not going to let the fear of the unknown start dictating our schedule. Thanks again Jamie, needed that.
Another interesting "tool" you can use is a squirt gun filled with diesel fuel.....on a windshield you'd be surprised what it does to a driver's visibility, especially at night. Windshild wiper fluid does nothing to get rid of it....

jerry

Hmmmm in this corner RPJoe with a squirt gun filled with Diesel and in the other corner a Suv filled with men with real guns..... my head hurts
Another interesting "tool" you can use is a squirt gun filled with diesel fuel.....on a windshield you'd be surprised what it does to a driver's visibility, especially at night. Windshild wiper fluid does nothing to get rid of it....

P

Penasco Pirate

I still can't help but feel that the 'problems' on the road down are a farce put on by our gov'ment to keep the people in their home country with their amercan dollars. I've heard the rumors and keep going to Penasco....never have any trouble, even at night. Am I a fool or just fool-hardy? Seems the political ajenda is working though, especiall when you see the street of PP and the Malecon near empty of tourists.

Kenny

Like I've always said. We knew something was going to happen, but we just didn't know how, what, or when. OK, it was a couple of wing nut's, and the chances of that happening again are slim at best... I'll be looking out for the real danger on the road, just like always. The crazy drivers, not hijackers.

Hmmmm in this corner RPJoe with a squirt gun filled with Diesel and in the other corner a Suv filled with men with real guns..... my head hurts
Jerry....since us gringos can't bring any guns into Mexico....what would you suggest???

Have you ever been behind a semi that was spewing diesel? Were you able to see thru your windshield? Windshield wiper fluid is no help....just smears it worse!

Some of us have the ability (or vehicle) to drive at 100+ with someone trying to run them off the road.....and maybe outrun them....most don't..... We can speculate what we could, or would do, till we're blue in the face....but until the situation arises, most people don't know what they would do! Many will panic or freeze.... Some will do what the "guy who got away" did....and he was fortunate just to have a bullet hole or two in his vehicle....and not in him or one of his passengers. I'm an old fart, and have been in enough situations to know I wouldn't panic or freeze...but am I 100% certain of what I would actually do? Anyone that says that they do is just BS!!!!

P

Penasco Pirate

No doubt RPJoe! I always have my 1 ton Dodge diesel with me...it will outrun the most would be bad guys! If I can't outrun 'em, I figure I can at least stay on the highway without them pushing me around...as long as the bullets don't fly, we should be okay! Seadweller has seen my truck...what'da say Mark, maybe a battering ram on the front and some 'Grease' style spinning blades on the wheels? My wife says my truck looks like something from 'Water World'...I was thinking more like 'Mad Max'!!

InkaRoads

cronopiador
I still can't help but feel that the 'problems' on the road down are a farce put on by our gov'ment to keep the people in their home country with their amercan dollars. I've heard the rumors and keep going to Penasco....never have any trouble, even at night. Am I a fool or just fool-hardy? Seems the political ajenda is working though, especiall when you see the street of PP and the Malecon near empty of tourists.
Matt, you hit it right in the bulls eye, so far I have not seen anything that would make me feel unsafe in the road between Sonoyta and PP, yesterday was the first time I have driven at night in a long time, we arrived at 11 pm and quite a few cars on the road but none on caravans, which makes me believe that most people are not afraid of one isolated incident that we happen to know about, just like the hundreds in Tucson or Phoenix that take place every day, I did paid attention and must add that 75% + or -, were AZ license plates in the road, so no matter what they say one thing is true "PP is Arizonas beach".
I think Mad Max is more like it, just grow a mohawk!! :eek3:

Last edited:

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yeah Matt, Mad Max! That diesel cloud when you start your truck is HUGE! Cough Cough! LOL!

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Was down this weekend. Nothing out of the ordinary. Same boring ride through the desert as usual - just the way I like it! Easy border crossing Sunday morning - only one lane open and two cars.

Inka - saw you (I think) at border Sunday morning - you were already in customs; we were two cars back. White van with "Livery Vehicle" on the back? Tried to catch you on the road up to why, but you were nowhere to be seen, Mr. Leadfoot. <snicker>

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Sorry Stuart, I had a sick passenger and had to fly to Tucson, just part of the service! we were at the border about nine + or -, I learn that passengers must get out of the vehicle and go thru the building with their lagguage walking, so now we know that everybody needs to declare wht they bring back, no exceptions, including family members, I had the wife and daughter with me!!
So from now on I will have a sick passenger in every trip!! :eek3:

question

Glad to hear all seems quite, question for you all, we are thinking of putting a couple of flare guns in our car, we aren't sure if we are allowed to have but any thoughts on that idea?

A

AZ Miguel

Your asking the wrong group, ask the Mexican Customs agents when you cross the border and see how they reply.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
Do they sell flares in Mexico? I guess if they do then they are OK to bring in your car, since they are allowed to sell there, but as AZMiguel says ask the Mexican Customs agent.
One clarification from my post above, I do not fly on the road, could you imagine a plane in the road or what is funnier a Van flying, if ask to go faster I will go up to 8 miles above the speed limit.
But seriously you guys do not need to panic, things are going to happen no matter what, I think they call it destiny, faith, luck of the draw, etc. what we need to keep in mind is that it does not happen to everybody and if it happens to one in a thousand then the crime rate between Sonoyta and Puerto Penasco is almost nil, zero, NADA, then statiscally speaking your home town has more crime than RP.:deadhorse:
I see more suspecious movements/activities in the road between Quiijotoa (20 miles past Sells) and Lukeville than I do between Sonoyta and Penasco.

Last edited: