First commercial flight from Sky Harbor Airport was to Rocky Point Mexico.

rikyt

Grand Canyon Airlines, the direct descendant of Scenic Airways, began the first sight seeing flights of the Grand Canyon in 1927, and acquired its first of several Ford Tri-Motors from the Ford Motor Company in May of 1928. Later that fall the company set up operations in Phoenix, Arizona by purchasing five adjacent cotton farms from which it carved out an airport and named it Sky Harbor. On November 18, 1928, the first commercial flight from Sky Harbor was aboard the Ford Tri-Motor with the Rocky Point Fishing Club bound for Mexico. Company founder, Parker Van Zandt began an industry that now provides the sightseeing experience of Grand Canyon air tours to nearly 800,000 visitors a year, and Sky Harbor is one of the largest international airports in the United States with over 545,000 take-offs and landings a year with an annual economic impact of over 24 billion dollars.

Last edited:

rikyt

November 18, 1928, the first commercial flight from Sky Harbor was aboard the Ford Tri-Motor with the Rocky Point Fishing Club. Scenic Airways Rocky Point Fishing Club 1928.jpg

El Gato

Think a history thread is a great idea - I'm full of stories (of course that isn't all I'm full of according to my DH - lol - he also maintains I talk a lot). I love history and hearing other people's stories of places.

gringa

Think a history thread is a great idea.... I love history and hearing other people's stories of places.
You've got my vote, too!

I think a history thread is a **wonderful** idea!

Or maybe even our own Historic Sonora and Historic Penasco section on the main board (Stuart, Tyler, LadyJeeper your thoughts?)

There are so many amazing stories and photos and it would be great to have them all in one place!

On a personal note, I am really enjoying all of these stories, pics and links, so a big thank you to each of you for sharing them!

gringa

Think a history thread is a great idea - I'm full of stories (of course that isn't all I'm full of according to my DH - lol - he also maintains I talk a lot). I love history and hearing other people's stories of places.
Oh, El Gato, we just love your stories, and venture to guess that your DH has quite a few, himself...and enjoys the art of conversation as well ;) .

So looking forward to hearing more from the both of you on our next visit and thanks again for your wonderful hospitality and for joining us for dinner on our most recent trip down! Meeting the two of you was indeed one of the highlights of our trip!

Hugs to you both and see you soon!