First time fishin in RP

Been heading down to RP since 2003, but recently I started dreaming of getting in some surfcasting so I headed to Bass Pro for a cheapie "Offshore Angler" rod and a Kastmaster. Didn't catch a ton, but I did nail two of these guys casting off of Las Conchas around noon (just before high tide), can anyone identify em (the fish not the gringo :wink: )?

IMG_9124.jpg

Overall, awesome time, just great to sit in the water and throw it out there. I did try using squid which was the smelliest crap I've ever encountered. Kept getting half the bait bit off (the half without the hook in it), any tips for rigging the squid?

Tony

Hooch

Try renting a kayak, I picked up a sit on top 10 footer from Sports Authority for $218 after tax with a 20% off coupon. Paddled it on the lake Sunday. Looks like it will be fine out there. I use squid alot shore fishing and never have any problems catching stuff, try tucson beach over in cholla bay or the reef thats about half a mile west of wrecked.

azfish

Been heading down to RP since 2003, but recently I started dreaming of getting in some surfcasting so I headed to Bass Pro for a cheapie "Offshore Angler" rod and a Kastmaster. Didn't catch a ton, but I did nail two of these guys casting off of Las Conchas around noon (just before high tide), can anyone identify em (the fish not the gringo :wink: )?

View attachment 4559

Overall, awesome time, just great to sit in the water and throw it out there. I did try using squid which was the smelliest crap I've ever encountered. Kept getting half the bait bit off (the half without the hook in it), any tips for rigging the squid?

Tony
I call those bait.

Hooch

Naaa I just chop up the squid and put it on a hook lol still catch all sorts of fish out there, I caught a shark fishing off the shore with it one night in front of bella sirena. You live up in Phoenix, im over in tukee, if you get a kayak and wanna hit salt river or the back areas of canyon let me know, all my friends are afraid of water.

Naaa I just chop up the squid and put it on a hook lol still catch all sorts of fish out there, I caught a shark fishing off the shore with it one night in front of bella sirena. You live up in Phoenix, im over in tukee, if you get a kayak and wanna hit salt river or the back areas of canyon let me know, all my friends are afraid of water.
Ah nice, I'll have to give that a shot! I joined this group on Facebook a while back:

Seems like they're always out paddling, may want to give it a look

Tony