First time to Rocky Point report 5/13-5/15 w-pics galore

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Did you guys catch the corvina on the swim bait setup you were showing? What kind of swim baits are those? Did you guys fish kastmasters at all?

Kenny

Bendo, I love it!... That's a big part of the fun, wondering what's doing the "bendo" this time.

Red Drum

Did you guys catch the corvina on the swim bait setup you were showing? What kind of swim baits are those? Did you guys fish kastmasters at all?
MJ,

We initially fished plastic swimbaits with 1-1 1/2 ounces leadheads, but they would get shredded and torn up by all the Spotties and especially the Triggers, so we ended up using pieces of of swimbaits and pieces of Berkely Gulp Sand Crabs/Sidewinder Crabs/Ghost Shrimp and Sand Worms. Everythings worked on all the species.

I even brought frozen shrimp and squid with us. I'd strip out the squid and cut the shrimp into chunks, and everything went double crazy on the fresh cut bait. Using fresh cut bait was almost like cheating...just way too easy and WFO.

It was so wide open that they were biting bare leadheads. We didn't using any Kastmaster's, but they would've killed them. We did use Krocodiles, Megabaits and other Iron's and they all worked killer, especially if you tipped them with a strip of squid.

We caught the two species of Corvina on all the different baits...I just wished my buddy hadn't farmed our only hook-up on a Sierra, with his lame net job.

Red Drum

Drum, looks like fun. How many Corvina? Looks like you got a full deck of fish, including the Orange, Shortfin, etc.

Nice, thanks for sharing.
Hey Wahoo, we caught about 2 dozen Corvina. We only brought back two 1 gallon zip-lock bags of fillets. I ate some of the Spotties and Corvina, and they were both awesome. If you bleed them out/cut their throats after you catch them, when it come time to fillet them, there meat will be really white. The ratio of Striped Corvina to Shorfin Corvina was about 4 to 1. Thanks for the reply.

Red Drum

Bendo, I love it!... That's a big part of the fun, wondering what's doing the "bendo" this time.
Yeah Kenny, Lots o' Bendo with those lighter 8lb test outfits. I was just kind of bummed that I didn't hook any Grouper...but there is always next time. HOOK-UP!!