First timer to Rocky Point next week and have questions for the veterans

GV Jack

Snorin God
So does mine. $1.00 a minute to talk, .50 to send a text and .25 to receive a text.
That's true in certain areas of RP. If you have a smart phone, make sure to make it dumb before crossing the border, because if you get data,
the charges can be quite high. I found that out the hard way. Just turn off data roaming in the settings section. If you got a ton of money,
Don't Worry About It.

El Gato

If you are going to be down a lot - and we hope you enjoy it so much that you will - AT&T has a Mexican/USA plan that works really well (except we can never get coverage after leaving Ajo and getting close to Penasco - nor can any of our friends. That area seems to be in a dead zone.

Verizon rep confirmed their service will not work and the blogs I have been reading say AT&T will no longer work either. Does anyone have any recent experience with AT&T?

AZ ROB

I use verizon with the north america plan and it works great... cheaper than any other plan we have found.

badfish

My Verizon phones have always worked in RP. Call Verizon and ask them to allow calls in Mexico. I get a text as soon as I cross the border letting me know the cost per call, text, and mb of data.

I think switching to AT&T is a bad idea. You would be able to make calls in MX but not in the US. Horrible coverage.

Rhino

Where's a good place to get a pay as you go TelCel phone (if TelCel has the best coverage in PP)?
The TelCel store right on Benito Juarez just before the Freemont/Las Conchas intersection or any or any of the independent TelCel stores in Sonyota next to the CircleK just before the bridge or all over Rocky Point. I've had mine fr 5 years which is a cheapo flip model (about $40 I believe) which works great. Minutes can be purchased at any convenience store such as CircleK, OXXO or the others.

garyd

The TelCel store right on Benito Juarez just before the Freemont/Las Conchas intersection or any or any of the independent TelCel stores in Sonyota next to the CircleK just before the bridge or all over Rocky Point. I've had mine fr 5 years which is a cheapo flip model (about $40 I believe) which works great. Minutes can be purchased at any convenience store such as CircleK, OXXO or the others.
How much are the minutes?

My Verizon phones have always worked in RP. Call Verizon and ask them to allow calls in Mexico. I get a text as soon as I cross the border letting me know the cost per call, text, and mb of data.

I think switching to AT&T is a bad idea. You would be able to make calls in MX but not in the US. Horrible coverage.
I had ATT...had no problems with calls both in Mexico or the US....I have switched to Straighttalk(using the ATT network) and have the same coverage in the US (including all the way to the border), but not in Mexico (they don't have roaming available yet) and have been using Telcel down in Penasco (Amiga plan) for years with a cheap throwaway (actually an unlocked pay as you go gsm phone from the US)

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
This is how I go also. I have a cheap throwaway unlocked Samsung phone that someone gave me. I buy 100 pesos worth of minutes in Sonoyta on the way down which usually lasts me the whole weekend. It's about 30 minutes. If I need more minutes, I just go to Reggies, no muss, no fuss. But you have to purchase minutes in pesos, They will not accept dollars. I've only had the phone for a couple of years and was browbeaten into getting it by persons on here who know who they are because at the time I was a single woman traveling alone and they were afraid I would break down between the border and PP. I am now not single but still keep the phone so I can tell my friends I am across the border and they know when to expect me. It's also nice for ordering food to be delivered to my place! Oh, I almost forgot. if you do not use all your minutes while you are here, they will expire in a month. But, when you come back and buy more minutes, the unused ones will be restored to your phone. For an initial outlay of 100 pesos, I can now spend 50 and usually make the whole weekend. For my friends' peace of mind, it's worth it to me.....

This is how I go also. I have a cheap throwaway unlocked Samsung phone that someone gave me. I buy 100 pesos worth of minutes in Sonoyta on the way down which usually lasts me the whole weekend. It's about 30 minutes. If I need more minutes, I just go to Reggies, no muss, no fuss. But you have to purchase minutes in pesos, They will not accept dollars. I've only had the phone for a couple of years and was browbeaten into getting it by persons on here who know who they are because at the time I was a single woman traveling alone and they were afraid I would break down between the border and PP. I am now not single but still keep the phone so I can tell my friends I am across the border and they know when to expect me. It's also nice for ordering food to be delivered to my place! Oh, I almost forgot. if you do not use all your minutes while you are here, they will expire in a month. But, when you come back and buy more minutes, the unused ones will be restored to your phone. For an initial outlay of 100 pesos, I can now spend 50 and usually make the whole weekend. For my friends' peace of mind, it's worth it to me.....
The Amiga plan minutes expire in 2 months...but as Chari mentioned, as long as they haven't "killed" your number, once you add pesos, it all comes back. Local calls run around 3 pesos per minute...but I got a promotional rate a couple years ago when they were registering your phone (with passport/ID)...it's 1 peso per minute (local)

Kea

How long does it take for them to "kill" your number? I sometimes go 5 - 6 months without going to Peñasco.

My Sprint cell phone is $1.19 / minute, but I only use it for emergencies. I have TelMex and internet in Las Conchas, but am considering a TelCel (or other) cell phone for while roaming around town, or if needed between the border and town. Not sure if it's worth it.

Rhino

I sometimes use my Visa credit card to purchase the minutes in pesos and have never had an issue.

How long does it take for them to "kill" your number? I sometimes go 5 - 6 months without going to Peñasco.

My Sprint cell phone is $1.19 / minute, but I only use it for emergencies. I have TelMex and internet in Las Conchas, but am considering a TelCel (or other) cell phone for while roaming around town, or if needed between the border and town. Not sure if it's worth it.
I read somewhere a while back that it takes about 6 months after your minutes expire.....have never tested that out....

mis2810

My Mexican cell sends me a text message right after the new minutes are purchased and the text also says the date the minutes will expire if not used. I bought the phone at the WalMart in RP for $20 - its Telcel on the Amigo plan. I log on to Telcels website and buy minutes with my debit card.