Fished Cholla Bay on Sunday Morning

Ed B

Small Potatoes
Sunday Morning... Cholla Bay.... Dead low tide... Cast Master with Buck Tail....Hit about 15 feet from shore in the sand right before the rocks.

Attachments

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
That 26 incher is about the biggest I've ever seen taken from shore in RP..

Nice fish Ed!

audsley

So what exactly are those fish? California halibut or speckled flounder? Or something else? Sorry for being ignorant about fish species, but I'm trying to learn something.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
I don't think they are sanddabs either- sanddabs usually have dark orange spots on them, and they are small.

There is still some science to be done to determine the if the large halibut we catch offshore are indeed California Halibut, or if they are a similar species indiginous only to the SOC.

However- having caught hundreds of juvenile California halibut in my day, These fish we catch from shore in RP sure do look very similar to young Calibutts..

I would imagine that Ed's fish are juveniles of whatever halibut species it is that we catch out on the deeper reefs.

But one thing is certain- whatever species they are, they are bound to be delicious with a little fresh garlic and lemon butter drawn over them....

Ed B

Small Potatoes
I don't think they are sanddabs either- sanddabs usually have dark orange spots on them, and they are small.

There is still some science to be done to determine the if the large halibut we catch offshore are indeed California Halibut, or if they are a similar species indiginous only to the SOC.

However- having caught hundreds of juvenile California halibut in my day, These fish we catch from shore in RP sure do look very similar to young Calibutts..

I would imagine that Ed's fish are juveniles of whatever halibut species it is that we catch out on the deeper reefs.

But one thing is certain- whatever species they are, they are bound to be delicious with a little fresh garlic and lemon butter drawn over them....
Think they might have not necessarily been juveniles but larger of a species that might be spawning? Seems like an odd time for a spawn but water and temps have been off this year.

playaperro

El Pirata
It's cheaper to buy them at the fish market and take pics with details like Kenny does, anyway the best place to fish in choya is on the west side on a cliffy area called La LLorona LA LLORONA - A HISPANIC LEGEND only a few locals know about the nice fishing and scallop site.

Last edited: