fishing 6.7 - 6.12

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Will be down for our yearly June trip. Ill be terrorizing the beach in Las Conchas as i always do 4-5 times a year. Cant wait to get a line out and catch some fish. Last June trip it was windy just about every day and made fishing windows very small during tides. Hoping for small amounts of wind and calm waters.

Kenny

Well Known Member
The wind is always a crap shoot in June, but the fish are still there and probably closer in because of the food being stirred up and the cover of the less than clear water in close. Dig out the heavy stuff that will get you out there, and let er rip!

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
you got it will do. I always fish with a 7 foot medium spinning rod (Penn Sargus reel) that has some good backbone so i can chuck an ounce pretty far. If i ever decided to chuck 2oz I think id go with a bigger 10ft+ sized setup. I fished some intense waves and brought in some fish its just the fight of catching seaweed and getting dragged into the rocks from the undertoe that gets old quick.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I might be down this weekend but will probably be getting too drunk as it is the ROGER CLYNE WEEKEND.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
ya i heard RCP was going to be there. Never seen or heard much of their music except the dbacks song. I know they have a large following....

I'll be down 6-10 through 17 for my first time. I emailed a couple of charter places and they never replied! I am somewhat new at fishing but don't completely suck at it. I would like to do some boat fishing one day (more if the price is reasonable) and some shore fishing if anyone can help with locations, best rigs to use, etc. I have a modest amount of equipment. A solid spinning pole, one conventional, four reels. Nothing huge for monster fish but decent equipment.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
Best shore setup is the drop shot in my opinion. 1oz pyramid sinker at the bottom and a hook about 12-16 inches up from there with whatever bait you can find. I always hit the malecon and buy squid for bait. Sometimes ill catch a small rock bass and cut him up for bait. Meat is tough and stays on the hook longer than squid. I usually use 8lb line and size 1 bait hooks. Drop shot keeps bait and hook out of the rocks and up higher in the water column. Silver or gold lures work good on occasion and I've had luck with white bucktail jigs catching rock bass.

Thank you and more info if not too much to ask

Best shore setup is the drop shot in my opinion. 1oz pyramid sinker at the bottom and a hook about 12-16 inches up from there with whatever bait you can find. I always hit the malecon and buy squid for bait. Sometimes ill catch a small rock bass and cut him up for bait. Meat is tough and stays on the hook longer than squid. I usually use 8lb line and size 1 bait hooks. Drop shot keeps bait and hook out of the rocks and up higher in the water column. Silver or gold lures work good on occasion and I've had luck with white bucktail jigs catching rock bass.
We are staying at the Sonoran Spa. I plan on some boat fishing (if they ever reply to my emails) and shore fishing when not on the boats. Also some clamming. Any specific spots for shore fish or clams that you can share? We are driving down from San Diego. If there is anything I can bring down (that is not the size of a VW or illegal) let me know and I'll work on it!

beachlover56

Stuck in the Midwest
We are staying at the Sonoran Spa. I plan on some boat fishing (if they ever reply to my emails) and shore fishing when not on the boats. Also some clamming. Any specific spots for shore fish or clams that you can share? We are driving down from San Diego. If there is anything I can bring down (that is not the size of a VW or illegal) let me know and I'll work on it!
If you think about it after your trip, please post how long it takes you to drive from SD (and how easy and/or hard it turns out to be). Thanks!

Driving time from San diego

If you think about it after your trip, please post how long it takes you to drive from SD (and how easy and/or hard it turns out to be). Thanks!
I'll do that. We are actually about an hour east of San Diego (near Descanso/Pine Valley) so we get a jump start on the drive. Last year coming back from Bahia de Kino we took the coast route (from Kino-Hermosillo Road at Km. 36) and we shaved almost three hours from our driving time which used to be via Hermosillo-Nogales-Tucson-San Diego. We stopped in PP for a quick look and then came home. It was about 7 hours from PP to Pine Valley but that includes a 1.5 hour border crossing time and a couple of breaks. From PP we took the toll road to San Luis RC then went west and crossed at Algodones before heading west on I-8.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
i have not done any fishing near sandy beach or the resorts so couldn't tell you where good spots are to fish. I would just throw your line out the first place you can and see what happens.

The catch of the day

i have not done any fishing near sandy beach or the resorts so couldn't tell you where good spots are to fish. I would just throw your line out the first place you can and see what happens.
Thanks for the help. I've been reading through here and other posts and they are helpful.Official weigh-in.jpgP1010100.jpg I just got back from clamming. These photos are from a previous run. I only got four today but similar in size (5+ inches). Are the clams that big in PP? Ha!

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
well im back from mex. friday was windy as all get out and saturday-tuesday allowed me to fish either by shore or kayak. I caught 3 bonefish on saturday from the shore along with numerous amounts of rock bass and trigger fish. besides the 3 bonefish on saturday i could only manage to catch rock bass and triggerfish by lure or bait the rest of the trip. I took lots of video using my go pro and chesty mount whish was a lot of fun to watch. bonefish pic 113.jpg

azfish

Well Known Member
Jay only little ones bitting, you didnt see any schools going after bait fish? No birds?

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
Here on Sat 14th and the wind is still blowing. Temp not bad but the humidity is on the way up. I have to take some exception to the use of a pyramid sinker. They are great in the sand but you will get hung up in the rocks. If you use one tie it on with a lighter leader so it will break off first and you only loose the sinker. I use a torpedo shaped sinker with loops on both ends and tie it in line above the hook or luer. If it hangs either have patience until a fish frees it or use light popping.
Something I tried last time I was down was a Kastmaster on a 3 ft leader tied on after a popper float. This keeps the luer out of the rocks and you can do any type of retrieve you want.
Good luck
This is out last weekend for the season so stop by. # 50 Plya De Oro