Fishing Conditions April 24th

ben21

All - I've never done a fishing charter before, but am taking around 10 people down to RP the weekend of April 24th and several of them want to fish. Every once in a while I look at the fishing threads and I've seen that you guys only go out when the conditions are right. My question is, how would I look up how conditions will be this date, and how far out can it be predicted? A day trip sounds awesome, but only if the conditions are right. No fish and everyone getting sea sick in choppy water, not so much. Thanks in advance for your help...

YumaJames

You're right Ben, I've learned I only go out on my boat (26 ft) when the weather is great, when its too rough bang up the boat and passengers, use too much fuel, and can't stay on the reefs in the wind. I've used a few marine websites, and prefer windfinder.com, last few times I've been out they've been pretty accurate. They predict 10 days in advance, and their forecast may change a day or two before you go out. Once you're on their website type in "Rocky Point", then if you prefer change the wave height from meters to feet. Ideally when heading out to the fishing spots 30-50 miles out I shoot for winds under 10 mph and waves under one foot, although I'm sure a larger charter boat can handle rougher conditions, especially if you're staying closer. You can also try myweather2.com, type in "puerto penasco". Good luck!

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
All - I've never done a fishing charter before, but am taking around 10 people down to RP the weekend of April 24th and several of them want to fish. Every once in a while I look at the fishing threads and I've seen that you guys only go out when the conditions are right. My question is, how would I look up how conditions will be this date, and how far out can it be predicted? A day trip sounds awesome, but only if the conditions are right. No fish and everyone getting sea sick in choppy water, not so much. Thanks in advance for your help...

Ben, as mentioned and this is obviously for inshore fishing but either way I agree with previous comments about looking for wind under 10mph. Even 10mph gets the sea fairly rough but again, I'm sure size of the boat matters and as previously stated, I know nothing about the open sea.

Let me say this also. April is the windiest month on record for Phoenix and I know the wind can whip in April in RP too. OBV I'm not a meteorologist however, you might keep that in mind...

Here are the 3 things I check before coming down...

Windfinder.com

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/puerto_penasco

Tides4fishing.com

http://www.tides4fishing.com/mx/sonora/puerto-penasco

Puerto Penasco Weather

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-forecast/MX/Puerto_Penasco.html

The tide matters as well so read up! I think April is a good month in general for fishing out of RP. Lots of different varieties of species in the waters out of RP during the Spring months... I would think you could do well if you hire ABOUT TIME...

GOOD LUCK TIGHT LINES BRUH

CHOLLABAY4LIFE

ben21

Welp... Friday and Saturday appear to be no bueno for fishing. Thanks for the info guys, I'll keep it handy for next time.