Fishing Excursion question...

mrchief98

Can anyone recommend a reputable company that takes folks out on fishing excursions? Family of four that has never been, but not sure who to go with. I have heard of Santiago Ocean Services and I think Del Mar Charters, but know nothing about them.

Thx!

audsley

I'm surprised no one has answered yet.

Do you plan to stay in Rocky Point? If so, there are short half day excursions for trigger fish. Not very satisfying in my opinion. Full day charters out of Rocky point can be good but are expensive. Farther south there is much better fishing closer to shore, but that takes you away from the restaurants and other attractions of Rocky ⬆Point. You kind of need to decide whether you want a nice vacation in Rocky point or a good fishing trip. If you want both, it's a 70 mile drive south from Rocky Point to Santo Tomas where there are some guys who seem to find good fish. And 100 miles south of Rocky point there's Tom Albers in Puerto Lobos. He can put everyone up comfortably for the night and feed you.

If you want good fishing out of Rocky point you have to work for it and spend some money. I would not recommend the half day excursions out of Rocky point.

dmcauley

The wind has not been cooperating so the fishing charters have not been available. There are many charters out of Rocky Point but the About Time seems to do well. Go to Safe Marina and inquire

mrchief98

Thanks for the replies. Yes, we are staying in Rocky Point for 5 days (Sandy Beach) and I thought I would spend one day on a fishing trip. I checked with both Santiago's and Del Mar Charters...expensive! Wow. They want close to $300 for 4 people for a 6 hour trip. I gather that you get to keep what you catch, and they clean it and everything, but that still seems somewhat expensive. Gonna have to talk to the wife about this one in order to get the green-light to spend the extra money.

dmcauley

If you double that $600 for a 12 hour trip out to some deep reefs, thats about an average of what it costs to go out in a privatly owned fishing boat.
Actually that is only 50 dollars apiece and I think that is pretty reasonable. A ponga would not be much less and you probably wouldn't catch a decent fish. On a trip like you mentioned, at this time of year, you might catch a grouper which is worth more than $300. Check around, a lot of private captains might be willing to take you out to the closer reefs but the cost would be at least double.

Can anyone recommend a reputable company that takes folks out on fishing excursions? Family of four that has never been, but not sure who to go with. I have heard of Santiago Ocean Services and I think Del Mar Charters, but know nothing about them.

Thx!
FRANCISCO IS GREAT AT RP PIER

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Negotiate and u can get 1/2 or $100 per full day. Remember you are $$$$$$$ to them!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ron

If you double that $600 for a 12 hour trip out to some deep reefs, thats about an average of what it costs to go out in a privatly owned fishing boat.
Actually that is only 50 dollars apiece and I think that is pretty reasonable. A ponga would not be much less and you probably wouldn't catch a decent fish. On a trip like you mentioned, at this time of year, you might catch a grouper which is worth more than $300. Check around, a lot of private captains might be willing to take you out to the closer reefs but the cost would be at least double.
$300 divided by 4 is not $50.00 apiece :eek:

dmcauley

My error 60 dollars pangas run about 35-50. I know of no piers in RP except the one being built. Cheaper is not better

apricot

My husband and son-in-law went on a full day trip with Del Mar in July a couple years ago. They had a great time. Both of them caught a grouper....one was 50 lbs, the other 60 lbs.

dmcauley

I wasn't paying much attention, I was dividing by 5, who cares, spend a few bucks, your on vacation. The corvina and baby grouper are biting from shore, much better than a panga. If the wind wasn't blowing so much I'd take you folks out a half day for gas.

kw812

Talk to Oscar at Del Mar Charters, He's a good guy with good equipment. If he can't do it, he will tell you where to go.