Fishing from the shore in Cholla Bay

I will be in Cholla for 5 days at the end of February and would like to do some fishing from the shore. Can anyone recommend where I should go and what type of bait/lures I should use? I have several sizes of Castmaster and Silver spoon lures. Thanks in advance.

cholla

Try fishing off of Pelican Point on an incoming tide. Throw something shiny, or maybe an artificial squid when its getting dark. Should be able to get something that way.

John

Thanks John, I will definitely give it try. I will be there from February 18-22. What would be the best times to give it a try?

Anyone else have any advice?

cholla

I would fish with the tides and not necesarily with the times. Then again I have had good luck with corvina at dusk.

John,

Will my Castmasters or Silver spoon lures work for corvina at dusk? Do I have to add any bait to the hooks? If so, what kind?

Thanks again.:fish:

cholla

John,

Will my Castmasters or Silver spoon lures work for corvina at dusk? Do I have to add any bait to the hooks? If so, what kind?

I have found that the flashy stuff works better in the daytime and an arificial squid with a smashed snail on the hook works best at dusk. But of course its fishing, there are no hard and fast rules, if there were, we would call it catching.

H

hammer scuba

mark and i just fished from shore off pelican point . we learned alot . i will always fish it at low tide with good get wet shoes . you have to cast out past the tidal zone with good fresh bait or the original kastmaster just make sure you can cast whatever a long ways good luck from hammerscuba.com

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
John,

You might be a month or so too early for Corvina in late February- water temps are low 60's right now and the Corvina don't seem to be anywhere near shore

I was fishing just off Pelican point this past weekend (2/7) and picked up easy limits of spotted bay bass and sand bass using scampis and swimbaits on 5/8 ounce jigheads.

Cast, let it sink, and then slowly jig it back along the bottom. Spoons will work too, but with treble hooks the spoons hang up in the rocks a lot easier.

a strip of squid on the hook is never a bad idea- but we were catching them last week without any bait on the jig.

don

As was stated by "Moore", we've never caught corvine this time of the year, however, we've caught California Corbina http://www.mexfish.com/fish/ccorb/ccorb.htm on the rising tide off the encanto beaches using 'chovies, at dusk/night. And since it was night, kastmasters didn't produce. We use waders and set up lanterns. Not sure if the lanterns help bring in fish, but they sure warm cold fingers.

Biggest reason we fished at night is because we're fishing from boats during the day... so perhaps daytime fishing would be just as productive.