Fishing Kayak Rigging

Bait tank pump. Have you tried adding water to the tank as a prime to see if it will pick up that way? Try it in your driveway.

Sorry I relooked at your set up and see the pump on the end of your dip tube. Mine is the same design and it works? Might try a larger pump.
Second thought if you do get it to work be sure to have an easy access switch as it will use a lot of power. Look for an automatic interment sw.

I have that yak. Be aware, the padeyes break quite a bit so buy a few extras and a pack of extra rivets (both are sold at bass pro). The front and rear carry handles broke almost instantly (old broom handle or some 1" PVC works fine as a sub). The hatches don't seal 100% but this isn't much of an issue. Overall though the hull is a little slow, but good for fishing and very light which is nice for getting it out into the surf! Good luck!

AZRob

I have that yak. Be aware, the padeyes break quite a bit so buy a few extras and a pack of extra rivets (both are sold at bass pro). The front and rear carry handles broke almost instantly (old broom handle or some 1" PVC works fine as a sub). The hatches don't seal 100% but this isn't much of an issue. Overall though the hull is a little slow, but good for fishing and very light which is nice for getting it out into the surf! Good luck!
Padeyes you mean the seat?

I bought a humminbird 170 for $99 last night on ebay new. $40 cheaper than amazon. Should have all the things set up for the next time down. Plus fits in the back of my short bed truck nice. Plus bought scotty anchor rope lock for the bow to make it easy for dropping and retrieving an anchor from your seat.
Would be nice to figure out where to put a cooler for the fish.

I bought a humminbird 170 for $99 last night on ebay new. $40 cheaper than amazon. Should have all the things set up for the next time down. Plus fits in the back of my short bed truck nice. Plus bought scotty anchor rope lock for the bow to make it easy for dropping and retrieving an anchor from your seat.
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/223/Nylon-Pad-Eye-Ea.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping: ACK PLA&scid=scplp285196&gclid=CJT5npq5ncsCFVFsfgodNdoJvw

Padeyes are the nylon loops that are riveted to the hull. They hold on the seat, carry handles, nylon webbing straps etc.

AZRob

Last edited:
Got ya. It looks like they fixed that problem. They are using hex screws with nuts and metal eyes now. How old is yours?
Oh nice! That will seriously make your life so much better; nothing worse than being a mile out and your seat rips out from behind you. Mine's about 3 years old.

That would really suck.
Barely enough cerveza in all of Reggie's to drown my sorrows for it! :)

Good luck out there, in October I launched from Las Conchas and ended up pulling all my lines and gear in very quickly as a whale shark that was bigger than the 'yak decided he wanted to check me out up close and personal. Having a 'yak opens up a lot more opportunities that's for sure!

JoseAz

what about a cooler for the beer?

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life

Rob, congrats on the purchase my man. Kayak and the Sea of Cortez go together like peanut butter and jelly. I'm having an issue with my FF as well. Might have to buy a new head unit. One of the copper pins on the male end of the battery cable broke off inside the female on the head unit so no power to my unit and already bought new cable. I will pry stick with Humminbird but definitely put some electric grease on the battery connection and clean well after use if and when immediately possible is my new note to self.

I haven't been down fishing since last May so hopefully I'll be able to get down a few times this Spring. Let me know if you want meet up and fish buddy.

As for a fish cooler. I forgot who makes it but search for kayak bow fish cooler bag. It straps to the bow of the boat and looks pretty clean. I think it's made by Seattle Sports. For FF install and any other rigging ideas search google for some of the good Kayak forums and there's lots of ideas, pics, write ups on them. Less is more in the kayak Im starting to learn however, a must will always be fish finder, music, beer, food, fishing gear and a GREAT seat. The top quality seat is a must.

CHOLLABAY4LIFE

AZRob

Rob, congrats on the purchase my man. Kayak and the Sea of Cortez go together like peanut butter and jelly. I'm having an issue with my FF as well. Might have to buy a new head unit. One of the copper pins on the male end of the battery cable broke off inside the female on the head unit so no power to my unit and already bought new cable. I will pry stick with Humminbird but definitely put some electric grease on the battery connection and clean well after use if and when immediately possible is my new note to self.

I haven't been down fishing since last May so hopefully I'll be able to get down a few times this Spring. Let me know if you want meet up and fish buddy.

As for a fish cooler. I forgot who makes it but search for kayak bow fish cooler bag. It straps to the bow of the boat and looks pretty clean. I think it's made by Seattle Sports. For FF install and any other rigging ideas search google for some of the good Kayak forums and there's lots of ideas, pics, write ups on them. Less is more in the kayak Im starting to learn however, a must will always be fish finder, music, beer, food, fishing gear and a GREAT seat. The top quality seat is a must.

CHOLLABAY4LIFE
I was thinking about that electric grease also. Im putting it all together this weekend. Have everything but life vest waiting for that in mail. I will for sure get with you when Im coming down.
I would look on ebay seen a few for sale with just the head for sale no other parts. Must of been floor model displays.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I was thinking about that electric grease also. Im putting it all together this weekend. Have everything but life vest waiting for that in mail. I will for sure get with you when Im coming down.
I would look on ebay seen a few for sale with just the head for sale no other parts. Must of been floor model displays.

Just bought a Humminbird 165 head unit on Ebay brand new $35. It's essentially the same one I had without the GPS. Good call on Ebay...

AZRob

Just bought a Humminbird 165 head unit on Ebay brand new $35. It's essentially the same one I had without the GPS. Good call on Ebay...
Cool deal, picked up my stainless steel screws this morning ready to put it together tomorrow.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
Cool deal, picked up my stainless steel screws this morning ready to put it together tomorrow.

Rob, I put mine on a Scotty mount with post that you take off put back on with a Scotty flush mount that I installed on the kayak. Going to Mexico leaving the kayak locked in the bed of my truck at night I could not have the FF installed directly to the kayak.