Fishing Report - 09/06/2008

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Fishing report... or lack thereof.

Launched early with my wife and two sons from Safe Marine. Got to see DM and his new fish-killin' machine, Josefina. Beautiful boat, DM! Very capable and has a nice "fishy" look to it. You are right to be so proud of it!

We were greeted by flat calm seas as we left the harbor. Buoyweather was accurate. Ran out to our favorite bait reef, but not much bait around. We managed to catch a couple of sierra and a few croakers, but no macks or sardines at all.

Decisions, decisions. With still flat seas, I opted to run for the 51, figuring if I saw any sargasso or other signs of life heading south, I could drop lines and troll for dorado or skippies. Cruised out at about 35 mph, burning 20 gallons an hour. No signs of life anywhere. No flying fish, no bait schools, no birds, no sargasso - nothing. Nothing at all. Just pretty blue, hot water. The water temp ranged from 88-90 degrees all day. We did see one pod of dolphins as we neared the 51, but that was it. There was one other boat at the 51 (a Marinehouse charter) when we arrived. Cut up a sierra and everybody dropped. Nothing. We did about 5 drifts through what is normally the best part of the reef and managed to catch two gold-spotted bass. The other boat wasn't catching anything either. I saw them boat one-gold spot in the time we were there.

Headed over to the 52 to try there. Set up on the mark and everybody dropped. Nothing. Several drifts produced two more gold-spots, but that's it. By now, everybody was starting to really feel the heat. It was VERY hot and about as muggy as I've ever felt it.

Punched up the coordinates for the Witch's Hat on the GPS. About 15 miles away, but a chance for some breeze and everyone to cool off. Set up and did several drifts through this area. A couple more gold-spots and trophy-size lizardfish. By now, everybody is near heatstroke, even showering occasionally with fresh water.

Dropped back a couple rigged ballyhoo and trolled for about an hour in the lifeless water. No takers. Finally, pulled lines and headed back for the harbor about 2:30 to keep some breeze moving over the boat.

DM got in just ahead of us from south by Desombeque with the same results we had - no fish and heatstroke. I hear this morning that Ric had a decent day fishing the 20-22 further north. Maybe he'll chime in. My advice would be don't bother going south for a few weeks until the water/air starts to cool off a bit. If there's any dorado out there right now, they are probably deep in cooler water! But overall, covering 100+ miles on the water this weekend, it was a bluewater desert.

dmcauley

Heard a good report from Scott on the Reel Hard, 70 lb grouper and he also said Ric would have a good report. I had a bout w/ heat exhaustion and a screwed up GPS. No fish but better than a hundred mile run on the Josefina. Great seeing Stuart and family but no more fishing for me until cooler weather prevails.

don

Doggonit Stu!
Thanks for posting, a report from an accomplished "Fish Finder", such as yourself eases the pain of us less successful fisher folk!
don

Kelney

Stu
I bet you will savor every morsel of the high dollar gold spotted bass. The ole 51 has not been to kind to you this year.

Have you (or anyone) heard of any dorado sightings this year in RP?

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
There were several nice-size dorado caught about 35 miles south a few weeks ago, from a report I have and saw on Mexfish.

I'm going to have to start following Ric around.

RIC

finally getting a chance to chime in. as stu said, it was very hot and humid all day with barely a breeze all day. we took turns all day pouring gallon jugs of fresh water over our heads and shirts to keep cool. there were a lot of sierra mackerel around cholla bay so we picked up about a dozen on sabikis and small jigs and also purchased about 30 more from one of the pangas that was out trolling for them. we then ran another mile or so out and picked up a baitwell full of bass and grunts and started heading south to the first fishing reef. a couple miles out we ran into some diving birds so we fished under them for about an hour and had wide open action on sierra mackerel and 2 to 6 lb corvina (seatrout). after filling one fishbox with nice good eating corvina, we decided to continue on to the first fishing reef. when we arrived we fished 3 rods, one with a live bass, one with a live grunt, and one large scampi jig. on the second drift, the rock bass was hit and we had the fish on. matt fought the fish well and had it away from the rocks and less than 30 ft from the surface when the line parted. upon inspection of the leader it looked as though the fish had ground his teeth across the line and weakend it enough that his last pull was able to break it. we rerigged and set up another drift and the live bass was hit again. this was a much larger fish and it pinned matt to the side of the boat and started peeling drag uncontrollably before breaking off deep in a cave taking 30 fot 40 ft of line and leader with him. rigged up again wih a bass and hooked up yet again on the same drift. this time, we pulled the fish free of the rocks and had a 50 lb gulf grouper on board. we fished this reef and another for another hour but did not have any more action. we decided to head for deeper cooler water so we headed another 20 miles to the southeast and began fishing the mackerel baits. after making drifts over several areas of the reef, we found wide open action on nice corvina and some white sea bass as well. we also picked up a nice pinto and one spotted rose snapper. after another long day on the water we headed back for cholla bay at around 645 pm.

ric

RIC

HAPPY said:
~~~ Check out Art Pina's report on todays ~~~ Mex Fish reports ~~~ he did good ~~~

art pina has had several very succesful trips in the last few months. he is one of the most accomplished fisheman in the rocky point area.

ric