Fishing Report 8/25

YumaJames

Weather a bit tricky yesterday, but a buddy and I made in out to the 50 marker yesterday and we were able to drop our lines for a few hours in the afternoon. Nothing super big, but was great fishing, lots of action. Glad to hook onto a few smaller yellowtail. Really surprised to see about 6 whales right at the 50 marker, I've only seen em spring time. Lots of dolphins, and seen about a ten-foot ray. First time I've seen the sea lions so aggressive, we sincerely lost about every fifth pull to them, along with weights and hooks. The trigger in the bottom right was the nicest one we've ever caught. No fun leaving this morning, water was glass, but back to the grind.

IMG_0543 copy.jpg IMG_0534 copy.jpg

YumaJames

I agree SunDevil, would love to hook onto some nice dorado. We keep catching the above fish, its tons of fun but would love to step it up. Was hoping for dorado, an early halibut, or get lucky with a nice grouper or black sea bass. Just need to get out more, learn more.

Last edited:
Troll hoochies on your way out for dorado. Unfortunately you need to troll 6-9 kts so it won't get you very far. Fish under flotsam also for dorado. Throw Salas surface irons near the flotsam.

Was in San Carlos two weeks ago for some diving, everyone there was targeting Sailfish and small football sized YFT. I wouldn't be surprised if you got into either as you get closer to the caballo or the 51. Totally different fishing techniques than fishing for bottom fish.