Fishing Report 9/26/09

Shawno

Hi everybody! I’m officially back from engineering working in Iraq. My tour from 7 May 08 to 18 Sep 09 covered 502 days. Longer than I had planned, but due to the troubled economy back home, I did my best to extend as long as possible. On my first weekend back in town it was a quarter moon and the forecast was for flat seas, so we packed up the girls (dogs) and headed down to Rocky Point.

At 8 am on Saturday morning we headed out with Art Pina and Sandy Webb on his 24’ Grady White “Big Daddy”. We decided to go directly to the deep water reefs without even trying to catch bait. About 20 miles from shore we started to see fish on the surface, which were probably small skipjacks, but we didn’t stop to try catching them. At about 40 miles out we came up on six finback whales working the surface. They were very close to the boat when we passed by. We were somewhat surprised to already see the whales in September. We arrived at our mark at 9:30 am. The seas were very good and there was just enough of a northeast wind to keep us cool. We started drifting southwesterly along the edge of the rocks, and within a minute Art had the first fish on his 14 ounce Shimano jig. Before he could get it halfway to the boat, I had one on too and by the way it was stripping line, we all guessed it had to be a yellowtail. We were right. It was a real nice fish and gave me a heck of a battle. I was looking forward to preparing the fillets for fresh sushi back home and anxious to give it a try.

Art’s fish turned out to be a California Halibut, which some call flounder or ‘buts. To me, halibut look like dinosaurs. They have big mouths rimmed with big needle sharp teeth. They are pure white on one side and mottled brown with both eyes on the other side. They are voracious predators and will eat almost anything, but aren’t very strong fighters. We usually catch halibut from November through January, but seldom more than two per trip. On Thanksgiving 2005, I took my uncle out and caught six, but that was the most ever for me. We started the second drift and soon were both hooked up again. Two more halibut for the fish box. It continued like that for 3 hours with double hookups on each and every drift. The action was red hot on both Shimano and 16 ounce chrome diamond jigs. Tina and Sandy took turns catching 2 or 3 halibut each. In addition to the yellow tail and 14 halibut to 25 pounds, we also caught two nice leopard grouper and one big red snapper.

The whole time that we were out there, we saw big schools of peanut dorado swimming by the boat. The water was clear and the sun was bright, so it was like watching an aquarium full of colorful neon yellow, green and blue fish. We also saw a large manta ray swim by at the back of the boat. The manta was grey and white with about a 5-foot wingspan. The bottom fishing was so hot that we didn’t take the time to try catching any dorado, however one of them bit my jig on the drop and ended up in the fish box. By 12:30 pm, Art’s large fish box was stuffed completely full. Every time we would gaff a big halibut and drop him into the fish box, he would spring up 3 feet in the air, flopping everywhere. Since we couldn’t fit one more fish in the box, we decided to head back early. We didn’t catch a single goldspotted bass, which was surprising, but we figured the hungry halibut had most likely pushed them all off the reef.

On the ride back in we saw more whales, dolphins, and some flying fish alongside the boat. Back at the marina, the El Gato came in from fishing out west towards the sand dunes. He had a big cooler full of about 50 nice sierras, triggerfish, rose snapper and sand bass. He said they caught the sierra trolling spoons. Later that night, after vacuum sealing our fish for the freezer, we went to the Lighthouse for dinner and had another exceptional meal. On Sunday morning it was very humid, foggy and extra hot, so I wasn’t too upset that we had to go home. There was a slight breeze, but probably still pretty good seas.

It was another fantastic weekend in Rocky Point fishing the amazing Sea of Cortez. I sure am glad to be back home again!

Best Regards,
~Shawno

Attachments

Last edited:

dmcauley

Great report Shawno- we were heading out the same way as you guys but had trouble with the trim and had to get back in to fix it. We still did bgood on the closer reefs and brought home a lot of filets on fish to 25 lbs. Sunday we headed out in foggy weather to the deeper reefs and I managed to land a couple of good sized halibut, a small black sea bass, many good sized gold spots and a half dozen dorado- willy picked up a nice sardinero some gold spots and 8 small dorado. i had better luck on jigs than his squid, but we did load up early and managed to get in and come home by 3 pm. It was 3 great fishing days and it was great to see your catch in person. Unbelievable, yet I saw them all for myself. Tight lines

Stuart

Aye carumba!!!
Staff member
Hey Shawn!

If you're gonna come home and just start catching all our fish like that, I'm gonna call Obama or somebody and tell 'em to send ya back to IRAQ! Totally kidding, I'm glad you're back where you belong amigo, with us!!!

You've got my interest tweaked; I guess I'll have to try some jigs next trip. It's just that I'll feel so... so... "naked" going out to the 51 without any bait! It's that wierd time right now before there's lots of macks and sardines around for bait.

ProTip: Catch lots of bonefish in close and use them for bait. That's what I did all summer and I was extremely pleased with the results for bigger fish. Those nice, silver, shiny boners are really active, tough, stay on the hook, and take a beating. Everybody seems to want to eat them. Last fall (I don't know how in the hell, but it happened), I caught a large rabbitfish on a live boner. I didn't even think a rabbitfish could get it's mouth open that wide, but apparently so. They hold up well in the bait tank, too!

Hope to see ya soon!

ReelHard

grouper slayer
Glad to hear you guys did so well. scott and i were here in phx. frustrated that we didnt go after Art called and said how you did. those photos are fantastic as well as your play by play report. we did manage to head down sun. evening and put the boat in and made a run out. it was a nice smooth run out. got on the reef at about 10:30 and anchored up. we dropped down a couple of lines and had 2 nice hook ups. have no idea of what they were as they broke the 100 lbs. main line. at about 12 or so the wind picked up a bunch and no sleep was to be had. as it started getting pretty rough. the first action was at 6 or so with a leopard grouper, red snapper, and a halibut. then our drift was pretty fast and could not hold the bottom to well. latter that mourning we got about 22 dolphin and a few gold spots and rabbits. so all in all not to bad.

Kenny

Looks like the Sea of Cortez had a great homecoming for you Shawno. Welcome home from me as well.

Kenny