Flying fish hunt

Landshark

That's what I thought when I saw this. I can't even imagine how a photographer could get footage like this. They have captured a glimpse of a dorado's day in the sea, a flying fish fighting for survival, and even birds plucking fish from the air! Hard to top the beauty of nature when presented like this.

I've seen big bull DoDo's takin' six foot high twenty foot leaps with big Mako's on their tails just 20 miles out of PP.

When the water heats up we go out there to look for Los Piratas in groups of three or four slowly following small groups of DoDo's, the birds are just waitin' to pick off scared Flying Fish. We judge their course and speed and troll some feathers in front of them. Sometimes, if we get lucky we'll get one. If we see the pack follow the hooked one in, we'll hold him in the water and cast Krokodiles at them. We've pulled in five or six using that trick, all just 20 or 30 miles out of PP.

Some of the best local DoDo action is just ten miles out from Desemboque. That area has a tendency for the tidal flow to swirl the Sargasso into dense floating paddies. We troll the edges of the paddies and sometimes really make a kill. I've never got any big ones off the paddies, mostly peanuts in the three to five pound class.

Nothing beats a four of five hour old fresh DoDo fillet lightly breaded and fried up in Coconut oil!

JJ

This literally just made my mouth water... Nothing compares to a few-hours-old fresh fillet... Ive personally never had the pleasure of Dorado or as you so endearingly call it.. DoDo, but I'll tell you what, besides the actual time on the water fishing, it is my favorite thing to do when I visit RP.... I plan or book a fishing trip and upon returning to shore, take the catch straight to a restaurant/bar near the malecon, or have all the ingredients and spices ready for me back at the room/condo and have myself a feast!! Depending on the species... I usually like to ask for it to be made in two or three diff ways.. Breaded n fried and ceviche, or both of those and grilled as well... They usually provide some fixings, a drink and plate it rather nicely, and it only costs about $10-20, depending on the amount of fish I request cooked and the number of people eating. In fact I still remember how delicious was the meat from that lil hammerhead on my avatar pic.. my wife caught that one.. I'll post a pic when I find it..

Can't wait to go in June if all goes well, and the wind cooperates.. Cheers!!

Qban-