Foods allowable ....

in and out of Mexico.
Can someone point me the right direction to get a list of these foods.
With all I am hearing and reading I think it would be a good idea to keep a copy with us when crossing.
Of course, keeping it updated on the day we travel.

Thanks,
Sunshine

:sunny:

Thats a hard question to answer as there are so many variables involved. It really depends on teh day of the week, water temprture, barometric temperture and wind direction.

If you are following the other "Crossing..." thread, you'll see that the guidlines have changed as far as what you can bring into Mexico, via a small sign recently posted on the way in. The RPTimes probably has it correct as far as bringing food back, but doubtful they've updated the other end.

jerry

well a month ago when they told me no dry dog food they gave me a flyer that says milk,cheese,pork(1.5 kilos),coffee,dried fruit and truffles (dryheats favorite) and dry cooked,packed and bottled foods are all allowed

Kea

I've seen contradictory posts on dog food in the last month or so. We plan to bring dog food for our 2 dogs on our next trip (within the next week or so). Will they allow it if they see you have your dogs in the car with you? Or, is it now officially no dog food AT ALL?

We have decided against bringing an ice chest at all. Not even milk or breakfast sausage.

Kea

True, but we'll be driving 2 days to get there. It will be tricky to try to figure out exactly how much food to take (not too much, not too little). Some days they are hungrier than other days. Do-able yes, but not convenient. Do any of the stores in Sonoyta or Peñasco have Beneful? That's the food they seem to like right now.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
If you get a red light, they will ask you questions. If you get a green light, you're all good. Even if they ask you questions, you can answer judiciously. I've never been unloaded on the Mexican side. But this is different as they have just started this. I have brought a ton of donations down but only got a red light once in the last 20 years, 2 weekends ago and I was forced to lie. I had tons of clothes for the kids. I said they were my bed linens.....I know the Lord will forgive me...... Put the bucket under everything......

well a month ago when they told me no dry dog food they gave me a flyer that says milk,cheese,pork(1.5 kilos),coffee,dried fruit and truffles (dryheats favorite) and dry cooked,packed and bottled foods are all allowed
Pork is OK but beef is not? And didn't someone earlier say they took away their milk and eggs?

Kea

We've crossed several times in the last 3 years and only got a red light once. Just showed them our insurance and car title. OK, so it was my in-laws car, but we made sure his name was on the insurance, too. Didn't hurt that it was the same last name. No problems.

The 1st time we crossed (in 2008) we had our 5th wheel and really didn't know what the procedures were. So we just pulled up along the curb and asked. They looked through the trailer, asked where we were going & how long. Then sent us on our way.

I was just wondering what was different with the new rules. Sounds like not too big a deal.

I can't wait to get back there!
Thanks!

El Gato

Are frozen foods allow? If I'm reading the above correctly items in cans, boxes and glass jars are ok? We normally make a groc run every two to three months for things I can't get down here (other then beef as my DH likes the more fat filled US beef then Sonoran beef - I think he is nuts). I normally get a lot of Campbells soup, chili, corn beef hash, Jiffy corn bread mix, etc. And kitty treats. Super Ley used to carry them but haven't seen any for months and El Gato is now down to his last few bites! Tragedy as far as he is concerned. I've found fruits and veggies much better (and less expensive) down here. Eggs here a lot of times aren't refrigerated and/or haven't been cleaned properly. Have found a place that cares Shamrock milk - although DH didn't protest the milk too much. Think part of it is getting him conditioned to things being made with real sugar and not so many additives - it is the taste he isn't familiar with.

GV Jack

Snorin God
LJ...about bringing clothes and stuff to give away. I have a friend here in Green Valley who goes down through Nogales about every six weeks with all kinds of stuff to give away.
He started to get all kinds of grief even though he speaks fluid Spanish and they all knew him. He got ticked off and said let the little brats go naked and decided to quit. He went down
to go fishing one day and was talking to a guy at the gate about the situation. The guy told him to get a letter from an orpanage down there and just show it at the gate. He has done
that many times now, with no problems. He goes to yard sales, stores and other places to gather the items that haven't sold, gets them at huge discounts and gives them away. He's an
angel. The things he takes that the kids love best are old tennis balls. I'm sure there must be an orphanage in RP someplace.

Hope this helps.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Yes, GV we used to get letters for donations but the last 2 times people have still been refused, even with the letter. The other things about getting the letters is that you have to list everything you are bringing and you must have the original letter, which means you have to do it in enough advance for the mail or someone has to drive up to the border and meet you with it. It was just easier to take my chances.....But now, if more people are getting red lights and they are refusing the letters.......These next few months will be interesting along with the food restrictions.