For those that currently don't, would you if you could?

I'm referring to living in PP fulltime? I'm thinking about giving it a go, for maybe a year or so.

For those that don't know, I've been going to PP since the mid-80's and have always had in the back of mind of calling it "home" on a daily basis.

I welcome your comments and thoughts.

Edited to add that I would have a budget of $1000 a month for housing, food, etc..

Edited again, wanted to also ask those members that HAVE or currently are doing what I suggested.

Last edited:

dwig222

I could live in PP for a year, but only in one of the condos or american trailer parks. I wouldn't be comfortable living "in town". I couldn't do it for much more than a year because I would miss the modern stores, movie theaters, entertainment venues, air conditioned everything, and medical facilities. I'm a little more cautious about the mexican police than I was ten years ago, as they seem to dislike Americans more and more.

We are looking at moving to Panama when we finally fully retire. We've been visiting and researching various areas of Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama for several years and believe that Panama would be the safest and nicest place to go. We live a fairly nice lifestyle here in AZ and could continue with that level of lifestyle for about $17,000 a year in Panama.

http://www.altosdelmaria.com/ This is the area we are leaning towards.

I could live in PP for a year, but only in one of the condos or american trailer parks. I wouldn't be comfortable living "in town". I couldn't do it for much more than a year because I would miss the modern stores, movie theaters, entertainment venues, air conditioned everything, and medical facilities. I'm a little more cautious about the mexican police than I was ten years ago, as they seem to dislike Americans more and more.

We are looking at moving to Panama when we finally fully retire. We've been visiting and researching various areas of Mexico, Costa Rica and Panama for several years and believe that Panama would be the safest and nicest place to go. We live a fairly nice lifestyle here in AZ and could continue with that level of lifestyle for about $17,000 a year in Panama.

I guess I'm just the opposite of you dwig222, I've been here for 14 years come March, and all 14 have been in the barrios... I am more than happy to be without movie theaters, and the fast food, although taco stands tend to be Mexicos answer to burger joints... and for me, the sea is my entertainment, it is a different adventure every time I go to the water...

As far as the police are concerned I have several friends that are and have been on the force since I've been living here and don't feel they dislike americans... and the ton of folks that we have gotten to know and become close friends with treat us like family...

thankfully I have been healthy and only need medical assistance for minor illnesses or because of my own stupidity (those hey watch me do this moments)... but I do agree the medical facilities are a bit inadequate but for what they are, they do provide professional, knowledgable service and great care...

as the song goes... "I feel like I'm livin in my own private Idaho" I guess if you're doing what makes you feel good then you are at home... and I wish you good luck on your decission of where to retire...

and so to bringitbig, try it I think you'll like it...

dwig222

Seadweller, I'm not a regular on this board so I don't really know you, but I'm shocked that you say you live in the barrios. Isn't that the area along the railroad tracks where the houses are made of cardboard boxes? I guess I have this picture in my head of you living in a cardboard box with internet service. LOL

I can understand you're loving RP. Fourteen years ago we could have moved there and gotten used to that lifestyle, especially when we knew about a hundred people down there. I remember about forteen years ago the feeling that came over me just as we entered the main part of town when we came down with our RV. I felt like I was entering the gates of Heaven. I used to listen to the spanish stations on my car radio here in Phoenix and pretend I was in RP. But a lot has changed in the last few years and I just don't feel that way anymore.

P

Penasco Pirate

There are many barrios in PP. I have considered moving many times (EVERY time I have to go 'home'!!). Someday it will happen, I have to wait til the economy allows though. Mark, I believe, lives in the area north west of the center of town?? Sorry Mark, you've told me so many times! Not sure it would actually qualify as a barrio??

I guess I'm just the opposite of you dwig222, I've been here for 14 years come March, and all 14 have been in the barrios... I am more than happy to be without movie theaters, and the fast food, although taco stands tend to be Mexicos answer to burger joints... and for me, the sea is my entertainment, it is a different adventure every time I go to the water...

As far as the police are concerned I have several friends that are and have been on the force since I've been living here and don't feel they dislike americans... and the ton of folks that we have gotten to know and become close friends with treat us like family...

thankfully I have been healthy and only need medical assistance for minor illnesses or because of my own stupidity (those hey watch me do this moments)... but I do agree the medical facilities are a bit inadequate but for what they are, they do provide professional, knowledgable service and great care...

as the song goes... "I feel like I'm livin in my own private Idaho" I guess if you're doing what makes you feel good then you are at home... and I wish you good luck on your decission of where to retire...

and so to bringitbig, try it I think you'll like it...
I wouldn't be going to retire as I just hit the young age of 40. I was thinking of it more as an extended vacation. I telecommute for work so all I would need to make sure of is I have internet at my new place.....well, along with water and electricty too....:smile:

I wouldn't be going to retire as I just hit the young age of 40. I was thinking of it more as an extended vacation. I telecommute for work so all I would need to make sure of is I have internet at my new place.....well, along with water and electricty too....:smile:
40 years young... why you waiting so long to move here... I was 39 we we came down to stay...

Dwig222
What is the cost of housing, electricity etc. It also looks to be to far away from the ocean for me. I need to smell the salt air and hear the waves.

playaperro

El Pirata

Hey dwig222 I will tell you when they first move down here they bring um screaming, kicking, cussing you name it...And when they have too go back they go back the same way screaming...I hope you enjoy Panama...
Playa

dwig222

Dwig222
What is the cost of housing, electricity etc. It also looks to be to far away from the ocean for me. I need to smell the salt air and hear the waves.
Electric about $70 a month, water $5 a month, phone and internet $50, Cable TV, $50, Medical insurance $95, Car Insuance $55.00

A brand new home with all the modern features will run about $200,000 but you can find one under $100K that is very nice. It just depends on how you want to live. Hubby would love to live in the jungle with no other homes in sight, but I need something modern and new. We live in a gated golf community right now in AZ and that's what we are looking for in Panama.

InkaRoads

cronopiador
............. I would miss the modern stores, movie theaters, entertainment venues, air conditioned everything, and medical facilities.................
Of all those mention above, how many do you think RP is missing? possibly modern stores and movie theaters and they are coming prety soon, now medical facilities are here, they might not be up to the level of the USA counterpart, as in technology, but you definetely feel the love for humanity when you enter those facilities, can you say the same for almost any of the USA facilities? you are just a number an insurance number, usually an 800 one, ha, ha, ha.
Unless it is an open restaurant/bar they DO have A/C, as well as in the stores, abarrotes, panaderias, etc.
But then again it is just my opinion and most definetely we need to take in consideration that most times when moving to other countries, our standarts have to change some what, mostly lower specially if you are moving to a third world country, just because no two countries are alike in every aspect, might look modern in construction and style but the culture and society is a different situation!! :eek3:

Last edited:

jerry

Hey dwig222 I will tell you when they first move down here they bring um screaming, kicking, cussing you name it...And when they have too go back they go back the same way screaming...I hope you enjoy Panama...
Playa
My buddy just moved back from Panama.His construction biz was harassed out of existence ,his small coffee plantation never got off the ground because of constant theft. The housing bubble has smoked the place and the Government and private employees are making up the lost income by screwing the remaining foreigners. It might be a gamble but you would be buying low.

dwig222

My buddy just moved back from Panama.His construction biz was harassed out of existence ,his small coffee plantation never got off the ground because of constant theft. The housing bubble has smoked the place and the Government and private employees are making up the lost income by screwing the remaining foreigners. It might be a gamble but you would be buying low.
What part of Panama did he live? We are not specifically moving to live in a cheaper country. Our main reason for moving is our lover of the climate, the tranquility of the mountains and rain forests, and our love of Central America. Our second reason for moving is to get away from our families (LOL). We have about 100 immediate family members living in AZ and we're sick of all the "family drama". We looked at Texas, Tennessee and Oregon as possible places to retire, but we love the latin countries so much that we decided to just take the plunge. We plan to keep our home in AZ and move down there for 6 months before we make a final decision. Then we would probably sell our home and rent a place for a year to make sure it's where we want to grow old together.

jerry

What part of Panama did he live? We are not specifically moving to live in a cheaper country. Our main reason for moving is our lover of the climate, the tranquility of the mountains and rain forests, and our love of Central America. Our second reason for moving is to get away from our families (LOL). We have about 100 immediate family members living in AZ and we're sick of all the "family drama". We looked at Texas, Tennessee and Oregon as possible places to retire, but we love the latin countries so much that we decided to just take the plunge. We plan to keep our home in AZ and move down there for 6 months before we make a final decision. Then we would probably sell our home and rent a place for a year to make sure it's where we want to grow old together.
Bocas Del Toro....... Hey if you like to walk on the beach think about my other house in Santo Tomas.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/corvid/sets/72157594375542629/ If things ever go bad down South it is nice to be able walk home!!!

mel150

We've lived here for over a year now, and we too are in town. Our neighbors have become friends, we know many wonderful Mexicans, and we find we don't miss anything! For a while I had a jones on for cheddar and feta cheeses, but now I have no trouble with that. I love cooking with the local ingredients, and walking our dog on the beach every day. I'm well into learning Spanish, and I love living here, wouldn't trade it for anything. I work from home as well, that is important. I wouldn't want to live here without having that kind of distraction, or I'd end up drinking all day!

Have you considered the area around Guadalajara or Puerto Vallerta ?
I'm fairly sure you were not replying to my post but dwig222 instead about Panama. Just in case if it was directed to me, I will reply. I would prefer to NOT go that far south. Only because if needed I can be back in AZ within just a few hours. Hope this clairifies.