Full Moon Fishing ??

rplarry

Curious... we were down this past week from Wednesday (5th) through Monday. We fished Thursday and Friday off the point, from shore, below the lighthouse and around Manny's. We also ran out to La Morua last 2 days. First cast on both Thurs & Friday, hooked up on a huge Pampano and Sea Trout. Both days, again, first cast. Ended up catching 10-15 fish over about an hour both days. Then, Saturday, Sunday & Monday.... cast for about an hour and a half, both days, and maybe caught 3 fish each day - all tiny.

Question: with all variables pretty much being the same each day as in tide swing, wind, weather, etc, curious if the moon phase - Full Moon - had something to do with the absolute drop off from catching fish?

Any thoughts??

Thank you.

rplarry

A big tide, or a full moon is always good for shore fishing, so I can't think of a reason.

I'm not going to bump your thread with this, but here's the real deal when it comes catching fish..http://www.arkive.org/osprey/pandion-haliaetus/video-00.html
Interesting you included this Kenny. I always try to take some good photos of the Osprey's when out fishing and got some killer one's on this trip as well. They are such cool birds, and yes, they are the ultimate 'fish killers'! Thanks for this link. Looking forward to checking out in more detail when I get a chance.

rplarry

What time of day were you fishing? respectfully on each day was it around the same time?
Good question Joe. Yes, pretty much the same time each time, however just went out about about a half-hour later each day due to the tide. Pretty much each day was 2-3 hours after LOW tide. Tried to catch the incoming tide.

I've heard in the past that fishing can get a bit finicky at both Full Moon and New Moons during the month. At the same time, like Kenny mentioned, I have also caught fish too during that time period. It was just weird, with literally the fishing being shut off, compared to the previous 2 days.

I did bump into 3 guys fly fishing out in Morua and they had said they had killed it the prior 2 days as well with non-stop Pampano and a couple nice flounder, a few nice corvina, etc but the day I was out there and spoke with them, they were having a pretty hard time hooking into anything, just like me. In fact, that day, I went out to Morua first, fished for a while without any luck, spoke to those guys, and then drove over to the Point/Whale Hill rocks and fished for an hour and a half without much luck....

Roberto

There was a weekend meeting, down in Kino, all the fishes in the sea of Cortez were invited to discuss what to do about the longliners and the overfishing in the Sea of Cortez. The report I got was that no decisions were reached at the meeting but the fishin around Kino was spectacular.

VonDog

El Pescador
A big tide, or a full moon is always good for shore fishing, so I can't think of a reason.

I'm not going to bump your thread with this, but here's the real deal when it comes catching fish..http://www.arkive.org/osprey/pandion-haliaetus/video-00.html
Awesome Video!!! A few months ago I watched Osprey dessimate the trout population at Willow Springs up on the Rim. I really like the part of the video where the Osprey looks like its surfing on the fish while its flying! Thanks for sharing.

Kenny

Awesome Video!!! A few months ago I watched Osprey dessimate the trout population at Willow Springs up on the Rim. I really like the part of the video where the Osprey looks like its surfing on the fish while its flying! Thanks for sharing.
I've never had a fishing spot that was worth a hoot, if it didn't have a Osprey fishing there too. And that's in Wash St, Org, Cali, AZ, N.M. and Mexico. Jerry has a Osprey down by his place in Santo Tomas that nest's on top of the same Cactus every year (like they all do), and it's often fishing for it's baby's right out from where I'm fishing. I've had long term relationships (they screech at me) with more than a few, and in a lot of different habitats.
Jerry's Bird.

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
As others have mentioned, the full moon brings huge tides, and these can be great for fishing, but full moons also bring brighter nights, meaning more opportunities for fish to feed at night.

The Corvinas (including white seabass) are naturally low light feeders, and I have had much luck fishing for them in the middle of the night during full moons and clear skies.

jerry

seemed like the shore fishing was better 3 or 4 days ago down here at Santo Tomas.It was been mirror flat the last two days and seemed slower around our houses.Up at the spit guys were catching big Corvina but the tides have cut the point in two making it necessary to get out or get wet at a real high tide. At Puerto Lobos today my friends went out with Ted and it was a bit slower than usual . The caught a 30lb grouper,a few 20s and some 10's. Great cleaned crab at the fish camp going for 6 bucks a pound...really good

...The Corvinas (including white seabass) are naturally low light feeders, and I have had much luck fishing for them in the middle of the night during full moons and clear skies.
Can you lure fish at night? Is there enough light for that? I assume they can see the bait fish in the dark, so I suppose the lure should work.... But I always feel a little silly throwing out a shiny Kastmaster in the pitch black..

Ed

moore_rb

Stay Thirsty My Friends
Suprisingly, the best success I've had when surf fishing at night is with dark colored lures- something that throws a good sillouette. I had a rattle-trap lure that I spray painted black that I used to like to throw at night that I would catch corvina on. I never really had much luck with spoons at night

Off the coast of California, soaking live squid on the edges of kelp at night is the recipe for big white seabass

jerry

At night down here Shrimp rules as the king of the bait kingdom (sorry been reading Game of Thrones)
The guards 100 foot long net tops all...