Garnachas, who knew?

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Mexican foods are gastronomical delight!

Garnachas; one of the most popular fares in the heart of Mexico. My host was explaining that Tex Mex and Taco Bell is not "real Mexican fare".

I am told Garnachas are diverse and many hold the recipe's as a family secret. What I found is they are incredible tasty surprise. Imagine a stuffed twice baked potato. But instead of a potato you use white corn masa (Not confused with masa harina, this is sold pre cooked as "masa precocida or instante") this is kneaded and then fried for the outside crisp, it is then baked. She said you know they are done when you "tap" on them and they sound hallow.

The stuffing is what makes Garnacha a delight. The recipes are a family secret . There are as many recipes as family names. The white corn "tort" is sliced and stuffed first with cheese. White farmers cheese, my host used Munster cheese, salty and cheesy. You could stop here, but you have options of stuffing them with a pork or chicken caramelized stuffing that is a made with tomato, onion, red and yellow peppers. This is where each makes them unique, Mexico has so many spices.

Garnachas, some will call gorditas, or a tostada. The difference gorditas and tostadas are not stuffed and the garnacha is more like an empananda.

"Garnacha" is thick white or yellow tortilla that can not be bend as it will break and stuffed with each ones preference. Crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Red, Yellow no green.

:stir: close your eyes and taste a red bell, it tastes like an apple. I agree no green.

The white corn crisp stuffed with just cheese for me. I love the variety Mexican cheeses. Mexican Sour cream !!!! Different than american....this white corn fried donut like thing with black refried beans and MX Sour cream... now we are talking breakfast.

Ladyjeeper

Sonoran Goddess
Staff member
Oh no! I cannot eat bell peppers, I would have to live in the bathroom. I am allergic........

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
Buñuelos

I understand, my hub is alergic to shell fish.

Have you tried Bunuelos! Another treat for me.

[video=youtube;O2k2rdw4WEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2k2rdw4WEU[/video]

Last edited: