Gas Prices

Chased

Where is the best place at the boarder to fuel up? Also, is it worth taking the AV 16 bypass in Sonoyta?

As far as I know, once you do the conversion from Pesos per liter to $$ per gallon, you end up paying more.
When I went back in January, the gas prices were below $2 and in Lukeville it was naturally higher. But still cheaper than Pesos per Liter.
Not sure what it is now.
What is the AV 16 bypass?

Could it be Avenida 16 de Septiembre? (google earth)
Tico was posting as I was typing.
Even if it were open, it doesn't seem any worse that going through town.
Never tried it

In Sonyota supposedly gas is about $1.00 (3 pesos per liter) less per gallon than in RP,
(I haven't tried to do that yet). Someone could verify this I am sure.
Also, be sure to totally stop and wait for 3 seconds at all stop signs and stay under 27mph (40kph) through town.
There are a few police trucks making a nice living by pulling over USA plated cars and saying they were speeding or didn't spot at an Alto sign.
They want $40-100 to let you pay them. :mad::mad:
Especially at the border side of town and the southern end of Sonyota.

Last edited:
Latest info on gas I could find was from April 15th. Looks like
Magna per liter in MXN$13.57 = $3.35 Gal +/-
I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper in Lukeville

playaperro

El Pirata
I no longer care for the short cut, reminds me of a scene from clear and present danger movie. Rather deal with the street vendors going though town.

Kelney

Well, the torn up roads on the Sonoyta short cut will prep you for all the torn up roads in RP;) I recently did the short cut a few weeks back for the tortillaria that is on that road as they are a staple for our trips. The road does eventually get blocked and you zig zag south until you hit the main road. A truck is recommended if you should attempt this tortilla adventure.

Kelney

I am bad at directions. It is about a half mile or so down the road from when you make the turn from the main road at the blue pharmacia sign. Drive slow and it is a white building next to a residential on the north side of the road. There is a little market right across the street. It will appear that it has a window on the sidewalk front. Tortillas are about 15 pesos or so for a pack. The place looks pretty clean and they are delicious.

mondone

Whitecaps
16 not open yet but looks very close to being finished and really nice concrete road when done. Should be nice to take again, when done, I always preferred that route through town.