General Store in Lukeville is closed

Just saw a post from the Rocky Point Times.....that the General Store at the border had finally closed. I don't usually get anything there on the way down...but good info to know.

I wonder how much longer the gas station will remain open....

Crap. Very sad news. Must admit, though, I'm usually too anxious to get into Mexico when I arrive and/or too burnt out on the way back to stop in anymore, not that it's ever open by that time.

Any word on the PO Boxes that a lot of Penasco residents used?

Mexico has recently prohibited the importation of virtually all food products - milk, meats, fruits, and vegetables - from the US. SAGARPA. See the new sign as you cross into Mexico at Lukeville/Sonoyta. A Mexican Aduana Agent told us that he now has to refer all food discoveries to a SAGARPA Agent for disposition. I do not know if the new rules are applied equally to tourists and Mexican residents. I guess that the Gringo Pass market could not survive without sales to local Mexican residents. An additional economic hardship inflicted on Mexicans by their own government. The price of food in Mexico has risen significantly. One gallon of milk is now 45-60 pesos.

I was just recently told about this new rule by a gas station attendante in Lukeville. i thought he was pulling my leg or just wanted me to hand over to him all my food and dog food. Thanks for the info. I will have to investigate this further since I cannot even find organic food and other items I must eat due to my health condition in Penasco. I was a bit amazed when he told me that Mexico would no longer allow people to bring food in from US. That did not make sense to me since I thought that a better campaign to inform travellers would have been reasonable. Gee, are my ideas a bit far fetched to think that such a strict law should not be somehow publicized first?

I need to ask my co-pilot if they unzipped the cooler we had the last two times we went through in June. I brought in dry food for sure, which was all visible in paper bags in the back seat, but not sure if we had more in the cooler. Weird.

Thanks for the heads-up. Didn't even notice the new signs. We did get an extra once-over coming in, and I joked after learning about the new clothes-donation restriction that they saw my vintage hipster-doofus shirts and may have assumed I was trying to dump off some '60s crap nobody in the states would take.

I was just recently told about this new rule by a gas station attendante in Lukeville. i thought he was pulling my leg or just wanted me to hand over to him all my food and dog food. Thanks for the info. I will have to investigate this further since I cannot even find organic food and other items I must eat due to my health condition in Penasco. I was a bit amazed when he told me that Mexico would no longer allow people to bring food in from US. That did not make sense to me since I thought that a better campaign to inform travellers would have been reasonable. Gee, are my ideas a bit far fetched to think that such a strict law should not be somehow publicized first?
Why don't you post (maybe start another thread?)....what food you NEED that you can't find in Penasco...there are several full time residents on this forum who might be able to help you out....

I'm sure that there are others out there that would appreciate having the info....

Last edited:
Hola amigo,

thanks for the suggestion. I have asked others who are full time here in Penasco and to date no one knows where to find ORGANIC vegetables and fruits, cage free eggs and unprocessed chicken, roasted almonds unsalted, organic sun butter, organic peanut butter, quinoa, gluten free food, dried and unsweetened plantains and turkey bacon and turkey sausage along with some other stuff. Not sure if people know that the US does not allow certain pesticides and herbicides so they get sent to Mexico and that is what is used on the food supply in Mexico: banned and toxic chemicals. I eat only organic due to a health condition I have and substitutions are dangerous for me. (hence the idea....."why not just eat for a little while the easily available stuff " would not be possible). Seems that with this new rule it might just make it necessary for me to start growing my own organic vegetables here in Penasco.

I appreciate the idea of starting a blog and will take that into consideration to perhaps find others who would like to start an organic garden. I have plenty of space for that in my side yard.

jerry

Well the farmers down by E Greiga have oranges,melons,raisins,peppers,grapes all grown organically and or locally.A local goat herder makes cheese ..On Saturday the open air market has all kinds of stuff for sale from small producers.

thanks for the info. I eat kale, mustard greens, green lettuce, zuchinni, swiss chard, avocadoes, spinach, broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, strawberries, blueberries, peaches and probably some other stuff. no dairy. only gluten free carbs. will check out the info but know that if i have to depend on some place to have exactly what i need, and what often happens is the exact food i eat is some times not available what do i do if no food is possible for me??? this happens often in the US, but i can just go to a different store to get what i need. I again want to thank you for the info but want to also inform others that many of us with extreme dietary requirements have a huge challenge in keeping ourselves healthy and safe. I also know that the standards for certified organic are more strict in the US. I have found that often times in Mexico I will be told whatever the person thinks I want to hear, so being able to 100% depend on a food being safe for me is a challenge. *the little voice in my head is saying 'start your own garden'*....... lol