Getting a car towed across the border

JoeW

Hello, I was involved in a car crash in Puerto Penasco last December and now need to get a car towed back across the border (trailer towed, it's a 4wd). Does anybody have any recommendations? I think my best option at this point is to find someone in Puerto Penasco that can tow it across. If I can get it to Why, I can deal with it from there.
I'll come back and detail my insurance nightmare story later.
Gracias everyone!

Old55

Hello, I was involved in a car crash in Puerto Penasco last December and now need to get a car towed back across the border (trailer towed, it's a 4wd). Does anybody have any recommendations? I think my best option at this point is to find someone in Puerto Penasco that can tow it across. If I can get it to Why, I can deal with it from there.
I'll come back and detail my insurance nightmare story later.
Gracias everyone!
6381079541IMG_7031.png

JoeW

How about a body shop in Puerto Penasco? Are there any you would trust for a fairly major ($11-12k US) repair? I'm hearing I need to keep it in Mexico for the insurance company to pay off. I'm even considering having it taken as far as Tijuana. I'm sure ready for this drama to end.

corndog

How about a body shop in Puerto Penasco? Are there any you would trust for a fairly major ($11-12k US) repair? I'm hearing I need to keep it in Mexico for the insurance company to pay off. I'm even considering having it taken as far as Tijuana. I'm sure ready for this drama to end.
[/QUOTE
Have you asked the insurance company to wire the money to your account in the U.S. or a check cashable in the U.S.? If the adjustor comes up with a cost for damages, I would think it wouldn't matter to them.. I had damage to a condo, from a water leak in a neighbors condo, the adjustor came from Hermosillo and looked at the damage and actually asked if his guys could do the repairs, when he gave me the settlement amount I told him I would repair it myself and was later given a check from a bank in the U.S. Thats how it's supposed to work, they don't have any say in wether you repair it or don't repair it.. Their only job is to satisfy the damage, monetarily owed to you.. If you had the vehicle financed in Mexico, then I would understand the money not coming to you, but this is different..

Last edited:

JoeW

They offered me a cash settlement of 75% of the Blue book value, but decline to do the work. I've never heard of that, either fix it or total it.
I'm afraid that might not be enough to fix it in the US. So I think I'm better off getting the work done in MX, and then let them haggle on the final cost. I may have to come down there (8 hours away) to sign the papers to get it released, and if so I'll check out your recommendation. Thx again!

corndog

They offered me a cash settlement of 75% of the Blue book value, but decline to do the work. I've never heard of that, either fix it or total it.
I'm afraid that might not be enough to fix it in the US. So I think I'm better off getting the work done in MX, and then let them haggle on the final cost. I may have to come down there (8 hours away) to sign the papers to get it released, and if so I'll check out your recommendation. Thx again!
You will like Aaron, very polite and professional and might be less expensive than what you are thinking..I came out 3500.00 dllrs ahead after the work was done on the condo..

You will like Aaron, very polite and professional and might be less expensive than what you are thinking..I came out 3500.00 dllrs ahead after the work was done on the condo..
He did body and paint for my 30 ano chevy truck. Very happy price v quality. But be patient.

Im here at the Reef rv park right now . Carlos does alot of work on rv's and cars. Fixed damage, dents etc for the last 16 years on my rv's/vehicles. Now whether or not he will do large repairs (don't know what's involved in yours) but might give him a call and ask. He speaks limited english, would be better to have someone who speaks spanish standing by. 638-105-6894

Just a thought. Some of the repair places want some money up front. Carlos usually requires half to start and the rest at finish. But again, gotta ask him.

Last edited:

joanC

If he has the car, why does he need money up front?

In my 25 year experience in Penasco, if you pay a Mexican up front, forget about it...it's gone. Your gift is appreciated!!!

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I called Holt Ajo Shell and they said they don't do towing. Any other recommendations?
Sorry for misinforming you. They did tow from Sonora a few years back.

I had to tow a dead 4Runner back to Phoenix a few years ago from Santo Tomas. I found a local tow driver in Caborca to tow me to the border. My friend pulled me across with his 4Runner. The Border Patrol guys gathered to watch us approach. They laughed at us and waved us through. I called AAA in Lukeville to finish the job. I later discovered after several mechanics failed to fix my truck that salt water had corroded all of the wires in my wiring bundle. The truck was worth about $9000 if it was working normal. The estimate to replace all the wiring was $12,000. I miss that truck. The moral of the story is never let someone with no impulse control drive your truck at high speed through two feet of salt water. The truck will die a slow death.

Old55

Sorry for misinforming you. They did tow from Sonora a few years back.

I had to tow a dead 4Runner back to Phoenix a few years ago from Santo Tomas. I found a local tow driver in Caborca to tow me to the border. My friend pulled me across with his 4Runner. The Border Patrol guys gathered to watch us approach. They laughed at us and waved us through. I called AAA in Lukeville to finish the job. I later discovered after several mechanics failed to fix my truck that salt water had corroded all of the wires in my wiring bundle. The truck was worth about $9000 if it was working normal. The estimate to replace all the wiring was $12,000. I miss that truck. The moral of the story is never let someone with no impulse control drive your truck at high speed through two feet of salt water. The truck will die a slow death.
The 2005 or so one? Bummer

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
That's the one. The mechanic who finally got a camera into the wiring bundle showed me a low spot where all the wires were corroded as hell. He said it was as if someone had shot salt water into it and wondered how it happened. I knew instantly where, when, how and who done it. I now avoid driving into those shallow pools or go really slow if I have to. I also have banned morons from driving my vehicles. That particular one had already been banned from our group for various idiotic and obnoxious acts. No splashing is the motto. If my vehicle somehow got a big salt splash I would come home and sell it immediately.

Old55

That's the one. The mechanic who finally got a camera into the wiring bundle showed me a low spot where all the wires were corroded as hell. He said it was as if someone had shot salt water into it and wondered how it happened. I knew instantly where, when, how and who done it. I now avoid driving into those shallow pools or go really slow if I have to. I also have banned morons from driving my vehicles. That particular one had already been banned from our group for various idiotic and obnoxious acts. No splashing is the motto. If my vehicle somehow got a big salt splash I would come home and sell it immediately.
Some kids got really really stuck last week.I brought a shovel and a 12 foot ladder that is cut into 2 pieces down …climbed right out…

surfcaster

Tom the Surfcaster
I have been stuck, and worse, stuck in quick sand. There were only two vehicles we couldn't rescue. A VW bug conversion that an idiot burned up the engine, and a Ford Excursion that the tide grabbed before he could move it. Everything else saved by shovels, tow straps and getting stuff under the tires.