Getting a package delivered in Rocky Point

To put this in a nice way, maybe this was a good thing! I could not agree more with your above statement. I have lived in Mexico for 7 years. I moved from the interior of Mexico to Rocky Point in January. I was shocked to see what this place has become. I have a very different take on things not having come from the U.S. side. The prices here are insane compared to the rest of the country. The fact that many try to price everything in U.S. dollars is simply foolish. Although I love living here and it is nice to be close to my real home (Arizona), I am not delusional about what this place is. It is a tiny town in a third-world country with little to no employment opportunities for U.S. citizens that is in the midst of one of the worst economic climates we have seen (at least in my generation).

I have met un-employed handymen who won't budge for anything less than $200.00 USD, babysitters who want $20.00 USD per hour, house cleaners who were insulted by my offer of $500 pesos to clean my 2 bedroom condo and more. Minimum wage in this part of the country hovers around $90.00 pesos per day. Just wait, the city is slowly being cleansed of these people as they can no longer find any marks or suckers for their offers. Same with the real estate market, gone are the days where that Las Palomas condo was "worth" $2,500 per month.

I am starting to find some wonderful people (both Mexican and gringo) who are grounded in reality and who I will continue to give my business to. I love Rocky Point and want to see it prosper, but we all have to come back to reality for that to happen.

To put this in a nice way, maybe this was a good thing! I could not agree more with your above statement. I have lived in Mexico for 7 years. I moved from the interior of Mexico to Rocky Point in January. I was shocked to see what this place has become. I have a very different take on things not having come from the U.S. side. The prices here are insane compared to the rest of the country. The fact that many try to price everything in U.S. dollars is simply foolish. Although I love living here and it is nice to be close to my real home (Arizona), I am not delusional about what this place is. It is a tiny town in a third-world country with little to no employment opportunities for U.S. citizens that is in the midst of one of the worst economic climates we have seen (at least in my generation).

I have met un-employed handymen who won't budge for anything less than $200.00 USD, babysitters who want $20.00 USD per hour, house cleaners who were insulted by my offer of $500 pesos to clean my 2 bedroom condo and more. Minimum wage in this part of the country hovers around $90.00 pesos per day. Just wait, the city is slowly being cleansed of these people as they can no longer find any marks or suckers for their offers. Same with the real estate market, gone are the days where that Las Palomas condo was "worth" $2,500 per month.

I am starting to find some wonderful people (both Mexican and gringo) who are grounded in reality and who I will continue to give my business to. I love Rocky Point and want to see it prosper, but we all have to come back to reality for that to happen.
Not to beat a dead horse...but I enjoy getting a massage...a therapeutic massage, not your "happy ending" one (for you wise asses out there....LOL)....and I've priced a couple of places in town that provide them, and a couple of private massage therapists.....their prices are actually higher than what I can get one in Phoenix.....where is the reality in prices of some of the services offered??? I had some friends who used to work at the Mayan giving massage...and they told me what the therapists were paid out there (a couple of years ago it was around $100-110 per week).....insanity!!!

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
one the beach in front of the Sea they charge $20 bucks for a 30min and $40 for and hour ... maybe try that :)

one the beach in front of the Sea they charge $20 bucks for a 30min and $40 for and hour ... maybe try that :)
Still high for what you are getting....considering the location....Penasco...and on the beach, with no overhead for the "therapist" who probably has minimal training...and not a full body massage....(yeah, get your minds out of the gutter LOL)...

The point is that the prices being charged for many "services" are what you would "expect" at US resorts.....

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
well my friends that are MT's here say that you should expect at least $1 per minute and up ... so they thought the beach 30min for $20 was a steal

Cabo

Spanish Mackerrel
was in Thailand on the beach at the Hotel (Phuket) and their massages on the beach at this resort was a must, it was 7$ for about 20 minutes... and they where faboulous. They used feet to deep massage if you asked.... The oils they used made you feel like number one... as I was told minimum wage is $10 dollars a day so they treated you very special.

Most paid 10$ to include for tip. looked like 20 massueses perpetually working the visitors, everyone very happy.

JGattheSea

PIF Puerto Peñasco
thought I read here on the forum the average daily wage was about 7 for PP? but I have no idea personally ... I should say not average but minimum wage (edit)