Going back for first time in 7 years

My family and I are going back to RP for the first time since early 2007 this weekend. Staying in a condo on beach in Mirador. We always used to stay at Playa de Oro, and will be probably going back there once it gets cooler (we do the tent thing). It will be exciting b/c my son will be seeing ocean for first time ever (he was born in late 2007). My question is, has anything changed much? Are there still restaurants within walking distance that are open (especially this time of year when it's nice and sweaty out) that are good and cheap? Any tips appreciated. I read a few posts on here, and I must say; all the (make believe, I assume) rumors and b/s that was keeping us away looked like it turned out to be nonsense and I am happy to be coming back; we miss the ocean & RP. Most of the postings on here put me at ease. Got the families passports in a few weeks ago and the reservations booked and insurance purchased from Rosie (another nice tip from this site). Thanks!

ben21

Glad you came back! Capone's is always a good choice in that area, but you're looking at close to American prices. Always a good crowd though...

Go to "Forums . . . General . . . Tips for A First Timer." There are pages of current advice. It seems that you are among lots of people coming out of their hidey holes lately to share the fun. Have a great time.

GV Jack

Snorin God
I was there at the '64 Championship. The last one in the city. By the way, on the same street but closer is the Caribbean Parrot. Roberto can tell you about their prices.

We always hit Capone's our first night. Great fun with the servers, Greek salad and pizza. Oh, did I mention Sol Beer?

Roberto

the Caribbean Parrot. Roberto can tell you about their price
Not sure if it is permanent or just for the hot months but the Caribbean Parrot has been closed.
Things are thin in the Mirador other than on Fremont. Pink Caddie's Diner on Matamoros is within walking distance open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the food is decent. Not sure if the Baja Cantina does food. Lolitas on Campeche is a bit of a walk but good for local food. Otherwise, nearby close driving distance, Capones for pizza, seafood and more lunch and dinner on Sinaloa. Bryans Sports Bar for Pizza and dinner, Yummie Salads for lunch and dinner, Guiseppies for breakfast and lunch, Don Julios all day, Latitude open all day. All a short drive. Go to Marys in the Malecon for shrimp.

Remember the basic rules for visitors: Don't drive like the locals, stop at the traffic control devices. (GV is our resident expert on this matter) Watch out for taxi drivers and bicycle riders. Avoid issues with large black pick ups and SUVs with no plate and blacked out windows. Don't let anything lay around that you don't want stolen. Use sunblock and drink cold beer.

Last edited:

Roberto

Wal Mart's produce is crappy. I'd stick with Ley. You also have a really great smaller store handy. The Michigan Market in the Mirador on the left hand side of Campeche just next to the bank off Benito Juarez. You'll be surprised what they carry. All the staples except or fresh meats plus Lots of stuff for the US folks like grey poupon mustard !!