Going down Wed-Sun this week? Suggestions for surf fishing las conchas..?

da_q-ban_one

I'll be going down there on Wed.. going to be staying @ las conchas (first time staying in las conchas)... going to try and get a Panga (went on La Princesa last time and we did VERY good... Francisco has some really good points about 8 or 10 miles out).. and if weather permits would like to launch a kayak off of that pier (by Wrecked) and concentrate on the west side, as someone suggested it produces more groupers, pintas and Extranjeros..
If anyone else is staying down by las conchas would love to get some pointers and maybe get a session in off of the beach (would be my first time fishing the area).

Last time I went out, I went with Francisco aka "chechero" on his panga "La Princesa" and we did very good.. it was surprisingly comfortable (has a lengthwise tarp for shade and a covered/shielded "porta-john" for when the beers finally break the seal

Anyhow... heres a few pics from my second-to-last trip out there... cheers!

18312.jpeg18318.jpeg18317.jpeg18316.jpeg18314.jpeg18313.jpegScreenshot_20181130-152819_Photos.jpg

Roberto

Well Known Member
Nice pescado!! Shore fishing is best at the estuary entrance at the tip of Las conchas near Tessoro. that is if the jet skis are not ramming around !! You can get alittle action at low tide incoming off the reefs which follow all along the beach. You will see them at low tide. Smaller stuff though. castmasters if you do not mind losing some or baitfish squid or octopus. I get Octo at Super Ley and cut them up into bait size, freeze baggies with enough of a day fishing.

estevan

I was down there a couple weeks ago and didn't see much off the beach during the day. I even went out snorkeling and didn't see a single fish near the beach besides a handful of baby needle fish. Night fishing was ok though. We caught a bunch of saltwater catfish, a couple rays and a few mullet. (Not very good to eat) Everything was on squid using a high/low rig.

The estuary was a lot more productive. We caught mullet, catfish, a baby shark, a couple small corvina, leatherjacks, rock bass, shovelnose, stingrays and an eel. Mostly on squid but the kastmasters/spoons were working too.

We catch grouper all the time from a boat down in front of the east beaches. Not a lot of size to most of them. But I don't recommend going after grouper in a kayak. We usually get them trolling, so we're covering a lot of water. You try finding a reef on the yak, just pay attention to the wind and tides. We helped rescue a girl on a paddle board a few months ago. She was about a mile and a half out and on the verge of hypothermia by the time we reached her.

Wood Spinner

Well Known Member
As always, almost, you get what you pay for. Almost = Be sure to get a boat that has been recommended to you from several people. Also, be sure where the boat is going to fish If they commit to 8 to 10 miles OK If he says a few miles out, JUST SAY NO THANKS.

Mexico Joe

Cholla Bay 4 Life
I'll be going down there on Wed.. going to be staying @ las conchas (first time staying in las conchas)... going to try and get a Panga (went on La Princesa last time and we did VERY good... Francisco has some really good points about 8 or 10 miles out).. and if weather permits would like to launch a kayak off of that pier (by Wrecked) and concentrate on the west side, as someone suggested it produces more groupers, pintas and Extranjeros..
If anyone else is staying down by las conchas would love to get some pointers and maybe get a session in off of the beach (would be my first time fishing the area).

Last time I went out, I went with Francisco aka "chechero" on his panga "La Princesa" and we did very good.. it was surprisingly comfortable (has a lengthwise tarp for shade and a covered/shielded "porta-john" for when the beers finally break the seal

Anyhow... heres a few pics from my second-to-last trip out there... cheers!

View attachment 16724View attachment 16725View attachment 16726View attachment 16727View attachment 16728View attachment 16729View attachment 16730

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FORGOT ABOUT YOUR BOYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bag of grouper. Jealous bro! GET ME ON THAT BITE! HOLLER AT YOUR BOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYY!!! Air BnB on the cheap let's ROLL OUT!

da_q-ban_one

Nice pescado!! Shore fishing is best at the estuary entrance at the tip of Las conchas near Tessoro. that is if the jet skis are not ramming around !! You can get alittle action at low tide incoming off the reefs which follow all along the beach. You will see them at low tide. Smaller stuff though. castmasters if you do not mind losing some or baitfish squid or octopus. I get Octo at Super Ley and cut them up into bait size, freeze baggies with enough of a day fishing.
So, near Tessoro @ low tide?
I actually am going to experiment with salted squid... supposedly makes it tougher and stays on the hook even longer as well as preserves it so no refrigeration is needed.. I'll post results and pics once I've tested..

da_q-ban_one

I'm surprised (and impressed) that a panga operator out of Rocky Point could get you to such nice fish. I'd written off Rocky Point panga excursions as limited to triggers and other small fish.
Yes so was I tbh...

He came highly recommended and he sure delivered.. until my buddy finishes fixing and rigging his boat, I'll continue going out with Francisco any chance I get

da_q-ban_one

I was down there a couple weeks ago and didn't see much off the beach during the day. I even went out snorkeling and didn't see a single fish near the beach besides a handful of baby needle fish. Night fishing was ok though. We caught a bunch of saltwater catfish, a couple rays and a few mullet. (Not very good to eat) Everything was on squid using a high/low rig.

The estuary was a lot more productive. We caught mullet, catfish, a baby shark, a couple small corvina, leatherjacks, rock bass, shovelnose, stingrays and an eel. Mostly on squid but the kastmasters/spoons were working too.

We catch grouper all the time from a boat down in front of the east beaches. Not a lot of size to most of them. But I don't recommend going after grouper in a kayak. We usually get them trolling, so we're covering a lot of water. You try finding a reef on the yak, just pay attention to the wind and tides. We helped rescue a girl on a paddle board a few months ago. She was about a mile and a half out and on the verge of hypothermia by the time we reached her.
saltwater catfish, a couple rays and a few mullet

So are none of these edible or just the mullets no good...? I wouldn't mind hooking into some of those (if for the action alone)!!

da_q-ban_one

As always, almost, you get what you pay for. Almost = Be sure to get a boat that has been recommended to you from several people. Also, be sure where the boat is going to fish If they commit to 8 to 10 miles OK If he says a few miles out, JUST SAY NO THANKS.

Depends on how long I've been fishing deprived haha, if too long I'll say yes to anything if it means any sort of action...

da_q-ban_one

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU FORGOT ABOUT YOUR BOYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! Nice bag of grouper. Jealous bro! GET ME ON THAT BITE! HOLLER AT YOUR BOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYY!!! Air BnB on the cheap let's ROLL OUT!
Yooooo what up Joe!!! I have been rather inactive until more recently...
I'm down let's do it bro... I've been itching to go to Lobos... especially now that there's a hotel i can safely leave my wife while we hit the water...
So far it's just me n one of my boys going out on Thursday... Francisco has room for 8 he says... so we could use a few more peeps to make the trip interesting!!
And if not we can link up for some overdue oysters n drinks bruh!!

estevan

saltwater catfish, a couple rays and a few mullet

So are none of these edible or just the mullets no good...? I wouldn't mind hooking into some of those (if for the action alone)!!
None of them are good eating in my opinion, but the mullet are fun to catch. Put up a great fight.

ckyevanjay

Well Known Member
I had some luck fishing off the end of the pier last week and saw some other guys having better luck fishing from there as well. Those cement blocks are difficult to climb up and over and I wasn't going to risk getting hurt or stuck on one side but we did catch 3 small groupers (1 leopard and 2 panama graysbys). Would love to try that area with a kayak instead though.

Caught about 25 12 inch corvina in the estuary though, another guy with us hauled in a larger 25 incher though which was the prize of the day for sure.

The rest of my fishing was all done off of the las conchas shore and caught another 15 or so 12 inch corvina and lots of rock bass and triggers. Had a great 8 days down there!