Going to Rocky Point July2nd and need REAL info on safety...

fasteddy

I was down this past weekend and survived running the "Gauntlet" from the border to RP and back. Lots of trouble witnessed on the way down, 3 farmers pulling weeds on the side of the road (probably undercover lookouts for the drug cartels) and 2 cows (probably lookouts for law enforcement). Other than a guy in a big ford truck pulling a trailer and having his trailer tire blow out right as he passed me it was very boring.

To the original poster, make sure you drop in at the office of tourism that Rosy runs. The chance of seeing her is probably 30/70 but she has a great assistant named Mariabela who is a sweetheart and will assist you with anything you would like to know. They also have a bunch of free items that have phone numbers of vital info. you might want to have in case of emergency.

The "coop" where I stay was quite busy. Lot's of families both from Mexico and the USA. The weather was perfect, the moon rise was awesome and the beer was ice cold! A great weekend.

Got to the border at 9:30 on Sunday morning and had absolutley nobody in front of me.

Ed

Last edited:
J

jneane

"I was down this past weekend and survived running the "Gauntlet" from the border to RP and back. Lots of trouble witnessed on the way down, 3 farmers pulling weeds on the side of the road (probably undercover lookouts for the drug cartels) and 2 cows (probably lookouts for law enforcement). "

fasteddy, LOL! Thanks for making me laugh...

SeaSwell

Headin' to the Bezch
Went down Monday afternoon and returned this morning (Thursday). Very quiet. At the edge of Sonoyta there was a police check point. Very friendly and reassuring. Had a wonderful time.

I currently live in Arizona and plan on going to Rocky Point July 2-6 and I keep hearing its not safe for people with Arizona Plates to go to Mexico... Could someone please le me know if it is safe? I never been to Rocky Point before but the guy I am going with has been there many times but not in the past 3 years, and I know it has changed somewhat. I can't seem to get any valid information on the safety of crossing the border. Thank you for any information you can give me. :)
I have been here since May 6th I have no problems I always feel safe and welcomed. I recieved this note from a friend today.
Where did he get this type of info? From bad media info..Is my opinion..
Things like this are what cause your fear.. come down and enjoy yourself RP is lovely place to spend time. Barb

Hun, get out of Mx!

I stay on top of the crime there and it's too dangerous for anyone there!

The cellphone and internet industry has been penetrated by the cartels, and everyones info and location is avail.

You just made my blood pressure go up a few points...not in a good way either!

J

jneane

OK...got back from Rocky Point July 6th... and I loved it, had no trouble going in to Mexico or leaving. I am definately going back again soon. Thank you everyone who gave me your advice and input because it did make the decision for me to go. :)