Golfo Highway is it Hwy 3?

D

dalock

I understand there is a new highway from Mexicali to Rocky Point which is routed along the gulf. I see on Google maps it is marked as Hwy 3. Has anyone driven this way? Is the route well marked once a person is in Mexico traveling south? I would like to know the best route down through the area immediately south of Mexicali

Thanks

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I understand there is a new highway from Mexicali to Rocky Point which is routed along the gulf. I see on Google maps it is marked as Hwy 3. Has anyone driven this way? Is the route well marked once a person is in Mexico traveling south? I would like to know the best route down through the area immediately south of Mexicali

Thanks
Yes its 3.Go thru the old port to Mexicali from Calexico, when you cross the border, there are roads that take off in 3 different directions, get on the one that goes to San Felipe. Stay on that road probably 9 or 10 kilometers you will see a sign that says San Luis Cuota, the Cuota is the toll road, there is a different road to San Luis you will see before you come to the toll road, but if you take that road you will be fighting traffic, people and dogs until that road crosses into the toll road. The toll is 16 pesos, then when you get to San Luis you will pay another toll. In San luis stay on the road you have been on, Its called Avenida Obregon and it will after a while turn to the south and become another toll road, Hiway 3 which is the road to El Golfo and Puerto Penasco. The road is well marked and easy to travel. Its about 3 1/2 hours to Rocky Point from Mexicali. In Mexicali the toll road to San Luis, going the other direction is the toll road to Tijuana, its easy to find. I can drive it probably better than I can explain it, I lived in Mexicali for the better part of 3 years in the late 1980's.

Last edited:

mexicoruss

Lovin it in RP!
Its a great road we travel it often. I will be going to Mexicali next week via this extremely welcome addition to our roads system in Sonora

D

dalock

I looked at Google Maps and tried to navigate my way using your directions and already I am lost! Bad navigation on my part I am sure. Does it make sense to try to determine the route before-hand using Google Maps or is the "real world" too different to do such a thing?

thanks

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
If you start in Calexico with Google Maps, the street you will be on is Imperial Ave. as you cross the border the road you want to be on is Adolfo Lopez Mateos, that turns in to Highway 5, which is the highway to San Felipe on the map follow Highway 5 to Mexican Federal Highway 2D dont take highway 2 in town it will take you forever 2D is what you want to San Luis. Pay the toll, get on the highway it will turn into highway 2 and take you to San Luis, pay the next toll and stay on that highwat thru town, its called avenida Obregon in town. Just stay on it, it untill you come to the exit to El Golfo, turn south and you will be on Highway 3 to El Golfo. The map outside of San Luis looks screwy and for that matter so does the map south of Mexicali. Just get on Google maps and follow 5 to 2D then to highway 2 and dont pay attention to the other roads.

Last edited:

lagrimas85

AKA Carnac
I think what is confusing you are the state highways, marked with a sign on google maps, there is also a highway 2 and a highway 3, if you notice the Federal Highways are not marked on the map with a sign but are written along the highways. Highway 3 out of San Luis is too new to be mapped I guess, because it isn't shown. It will be east of Highway 40 which is shown.

D

dalock

Got it! Thanks for your help. We aren't going until early next year but I wanted to get the route planned so we can put together the rest of the trip. I might buy the Garmin Mexico map for my GPS - would do it in a heartbeat if I knew they had the new road in the data base. In any event it is a good idea to know where you are going whether you have a GPS along or not.

TYVM

InkaRoads

cronopiador
just make sure that you are not speeding when you come across the sand blown in the highway, slow down they can be deadly at high speed!!

I just updated to a new GPS map for Mexico a few months ago and the new roads were not in there. The GPS seemed to be a little confused on the roads down there and did not match the roads very well. The other thing I found if you get off the highway there are few street signs. Your best bet is to print out a google map and go by that. You will have to navigate to El Golfo because the new road to Puerto Penasco in not on the map.

Rick
Cholla Bay

Got it! Thanks for your help. We aren't going until early next year but I wanted to get the route planned so we can put together the rest of the trip. I might buy the Garmin Mexico map for my GPS - would do it in a heartbeat if I knew they had the new road in the data base. In any event it is a good idea to know where you are going whether you have a GPS along or not.

TYVM