Gone fishing...

YumaJames

My father just passed away, at the strong happy age of 91. Yes, 91. He was a friendly, stubborn sharp-minded retired farmer who never rested. He loved fishing, spent most of his life tormenting fish at this one lake called Island Lake up in Canada, it was truly HIS lake. My mom and him spent about 20 winters in Yuma, AZ, made a few trips to Rocky Point, and fished a little out of San Felipe.

I've followed in his path, keep a boat down in Rocky Point, and absolutely love fishing the waters around there. My girlfriend gets mad sometimes when I go down there and fish so much, but after my dad's recent death I think now she realizes a little more why I love it so much. And maybe now I do too.

This is a poem my family found in memory of my father, and wanted to share it with everyone, especially the fisherman/fisherwomen out there:

I've finished life's chores assigned to me,
So put me on a boat headed out to sea.
Please send along my fishing pole
For I've been invited to the fishin' hole.

Where every day is a day to fish,
To fill your heart with every wish.
Don't worry, or feel sad for me,
I'm fishin' with the Master of the sea.

We will miss each other for awhile,
But you will come and bring your smile.
That won't be long you will see,
Till we're together you and me.

To all of those that think of me,
Be happy as I go out to sea.
If others wonder why I'm missin'
Just tell 'em I've gone fishin'

Delmar Pepper

Taken just after his 91st birthday, this is a picture of my Dad my sister took a few months ago in his boat at his lake up in Canada. Still driving his own truck and loading and unloading the boat himself (you'd help him but you didn't have to), my sister and her husband spent the day fishing on his lake and as they got close to shore she snapped this pic. After this the lake froze over and this is him waving good bye to his lake for the last time.
IMG_0149 copy.jpg

Last edited:
I read this Sunday night after finaly achieving success and catching some beautiful fish earlier in the day. I didn't know what to say then and still don't.
I feel for you and think your words and your tribute are wonderful, as good as it gets.
Thank you for sharing with us. And from my wife and I we are truly sorry for your loss.

YumaJames

Truly am sorry about your brother Cholla, guess your brother and my Dad are up there reelin em in, huh? Thank you Jerry for the Fisherman's Blues song, I downloaded it and have played it several times in the last few days, love it. And thanks to each and everyone of you for your appreciated support and warm positive thoughts, you're all a great bunch of people.

Can't wait to get back on the boat in Rocky Point and drop a line, all of a sudden fishing just got a whole lot more important for me.